Thread: NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - Destroy Your Delts: A Quick Circuit for a Big Burn!

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - Destroy Your Delts: A Quick Circuit for a Big Burn!

By Brad Borland, MA, CSCS

Wide "boulder shoulders" is one of the many goals a bodybuilder has when it comes to a complete and balanced physique. Width can set you apart from the pack by giving you that powerful look others only dream of building. Waking sideways through a doorway is every narrow shouldered trainer's fantasy! But how (and can) we build our delts to greater dimensions when we are challenged with less than great genetics?

The first step toward any progress is admitting you have a problem. By this I mean you must ask yourself some tough questions: Do you press heavy weight only to have your shoulder joints sore with little or no development to show for it? Do you stay in the 8-12 rep range with less than skin-busting pumps? Are you really making any progress at all?

If you answered all of these questions honestly - meaning you need a delt program make-over - then take note and begin to change the way you think about weak point training.

One reason your deltoids are subpar may be the fact that you have not really developed the mind-to-muscle connection as with other body parts. By this I mean going beyond just thinking about what you are working. You must cultivate such an intense isolation and burn in the entire deltoid complex that blood flow to the area will no longer be an issue.

Another reason is rep range. I find that most trainees - when faced with a weak area - are not performing enough reps to "connect" with the muscle. This combined with other intensity techniques such as drop sets, working to failure and supersets will ensure the muscle is truly getting punished.

The routines below include variety of movements, intensity techniques and muscle confusion to get you on the right path to growth!

Alternate between routines A, B and C and perform as many warm-up sets as needed. Perform one set of each movement without rest for three rounds - rest one minute after each round.

A:
    Standing dumbbell side lateral raise - 10-20 reps
    Wide-grip barbell upright row - 10-20 reps
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press - 10-20 reps

B:
    Dumbbell upright row - 10-20 reps
    Standing barbell shoulder press - 10-20 reps
    One-arm cable side lateral raise - 10-20 reps

C:
    Bent-over dumbbell lateral raise - 8-12 reps (last set drop the weight 15% for more reps)
    Seated side lateral raise - 8-12 reps (last set drop the weight 15% for more reps)
    Front plate raise - 8-12 reps (last set drop the weight 15% for more reps)

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - November 3rd, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Banned

When did BB.com buy WBB?

lol there is a definite change in WBB underway. They are trying to be more mainstream, or something. Maybe they need to sell more supplements, things aren't getting any cheaper.

lol there is no definite change underway.

The newsletter articles tend to be a little lighter hearted than the main articles and quite frankly we're just trying to put out a varied bunch of content. Look back at all of the articles we've published for the last 6 months and as a general picture I think you'll find that there is a good mix and there is no definite shift in play, at least not an intentional one by us.

Always open to feedback on new articles or what you guys want to see.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Banned
    DC, like the site and that's why i joined. Regarding those articles like the one above, absolute horse$hit! Quality over quanity. Far better to have no articles than those. You mention a good "mix." Mix of what? Truth with BS? I'd rather read one good aricle a quarter than several BS ones. Articles like the above only lead to the frustration of trainees who are fighting this iron game. They read that utter nonsense and apply it to not only their shoulder training but to other body parts and where does it get them? NOWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by justaddweight View Post
    DC, like the site and that's why i joined. Regarding those articles like the one above, absolute horse$hit! Quality over quanity. Far better to have no articles than those. You mention a good "mix." Mix of what? Truth with BS? I'd rather read one good aricle a quarter than several BS ones. Articles like the above only lead to the frustration of trainees who are fighting this iron game. They read that utter nonsense and apply it to not only their shoulder training but to other body parts and where does it get them? NOWHERE!
    that routine is actually a pretty good finisher or compound to do at the end of your pressing day. So saying it gets nowhere is a bit harsh, yeah it would be bad to just do that as one workout, but as a finisher i think its pretty good compounds. I don't know why you people are getting upset its just free info, if you don't like it then don't read it.

I'll definately take your feedback on board but like the poster above mentioned, I don't think there is anything wrong with the routine if used in the right way.

Its essentially just a high volume, high intensity approach to training. No one is saying you should train exclusively like this with all body parts or for large periods of time and anyone is welcome to ask questions about how to apply the techniques.

I might take some of this and being it into my met con trainining day and for those that just want to punish their shoulders for a couple of weeks, it would be an interesting thing to try.

I think you think that we're saying drop what you're doing and do this. We're not, we're just chucking out some ideas to keep people thinking. And actually sometimes putting out something which perhaps needs to be used in a certain way or is no conforming to the norm is good to get a discussion going which is when people truly learn ho to apply certain things.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Seems like a decent metabolic finisher to me. I'm not a fan of upright rows so option C would be my choice. It's important to be open minded about training and step outside the box from time to time. Take a look at Scott Abels youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/scottabe...24/utdtLtn7GAg You'll find lots of metabolic training like what was mentioned in the above article.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I think its a good finisher like what Tom was talking about in the thread he started. Something to do after some heavy pressing.

I was thinking about this a bit more yesterday too and the thing that I think is important is that I very rarely read an article and then go off and use 100% of the info and apply it in exactly the same way as the author presented it.

Take the weighted carries article recently for example. I've used weighted carries before and loved them. I thought Craigs article was very good, but I don't intend to use weighted carries now and I won't use his advice for how to incorporate them into my routine. The article purely served as a reminder that I have used them in the past, liked them and got good results from them and to return to some type of weighted carries circuits next year when I cut to maintain strength an reduce bodyfat.

Same goes for this article. I'll probably use these as a finisher or perhaps some concept of the routine in my met con session to keep things fresh. I don't really have any shoulder exercises in my met con sessions so to slip something like this in will be of use and a bit of fun.