Thread: Can anyone recommend a healthy fast weight loss program or book that works?

Wannabebig New Member

Can anyone recommend a healthy fast weight loss program or book that works?

I have been dieting since January, and I have only been able to lose 19 pounds. We leave for a cruise in less than a month. I really would like to drop at least 10 lbs. before the cruise. I can't fit into any of my clothes at this weight. Besides I am not comfortable here. I have tried the South Beach Diet, Five Factor Diet, Abs Diet for Women, The Skinny and Atkins. I exercise every day--walking 45 minutes to an hour. I weight lift 5 days a week. And I am so frustrated. I am not evern losing the 2 lbs a week that most experts say is the healthy amount to lose. I am hungry all the time, so the 6 small meals a day are the best thing for me. I am desperate. But I want to be healthy. I am not willing to starve and just lose water weight that comes right back. I am 45 years old, and I gained a lot of weight on an anti-depressant. I have since stopped the anti-depressant, but now I am really struggling to lose the weight, esp. the belly weight. Has anyone found anything that works for them? I have cut out sugar, refined carbs, etc. I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I also eat lean protein. But nothing seems to budge this weight.

chinese tonic herbs
    Last edited by william; 11-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    No such thing.

Healthy weight loss = slow (& by slow I mean ~1lb/week)

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

My girlfriend's on Slimming World.

She lost 6.5lbs on the first week and about 2lbs per week each week after.

Look it up. It's a very good eating plan that makes sure you're never hungry.

But of course, what works for her may not work for you, but can't hurt to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    I have been dieting since January, and I have only been able to lose 19 pounds. We leave for a cruise in less than a month. I really would like to drop at least 10 lbs. before the cruise. I can't fit into any of my clothes at this weight. Besides I am not comfortable here. I have tried the South Beach Diet, Five Factor Diet, Abs Diet for Women, The Skinny and Atkins. I exercise every day--walking 45 minutes to an hour. I weight lift 5 days a week. And I am so frustrated. I am not evern losing the 2 lbs a week that most experts say is the healthy amount to lose. I am hungry all the time, so the 6 small meals a day are the best thing for me. I am desperate. But I want to be healthy. I am not willing to starve and just lose water weight that comes right back. I am 45 years old, and I gained a lot of weight on an anti-depressant. I have since stopped the anti-depressant, but now I am really struggling to lose the weight, esp. the belly weight. Has anyone found anything that works for them? I have cut out sugar, refined carbs, etc. I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I also eat lean protein. But nothing seems to budge this weight.
    Eat less food

The slow approach is usually the best way to go. 1-2 lbs a week is pretty damned good.

But, since you're asking, there are also ways to drop fat very quickly that are only doable short term.

You can look into the Rapid fat loss hand book by lyle mcdonald or you can simply google PSMF which means "Protein Sparing Modified Fast" Some people have lost more than half a pound of fat PER DAY. But it's not an easy program, at all, and you can't use it for long periods of time by any means. It's a crash diet.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I used the Fat Burning Furnace book. Took a while but now I'm eating things that cost way less than I did before and I've lost 60lbs. It's nothing special over other diets, which is the main plus. Other diets are friggn nuts sometimes. Are you really gonna pay some company 400-500 bucks a month to send you food through the mail? If someone still has that lazy mindset, there's no point in losing weight really. Just learn how to do it yourself I say...

Codeguru
    Last edited by Codeguru; 11-08-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    No such thing.

Healthy weight loss = slow (& by slow I mean ~1lb/week)
    Just wondering why healthy weight loss is only 1lb per week. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just wondering the reason behind it. In March I was 305. I weigh 209 today. So in 37 weeks that's averaging about 2.6 pounds per week. I think I've done it in a healthy way. I didn't restrict my calories to some insane number. I just stayed on a consistent diet and workout routine.

Quote Originally Posted by CBates View Post
    Just wondering why healthy weight loss is only 1lb per week. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just wondering the reason behind it. In March I was 305. I weigh 209 today. So in 37 weeks that's averaging about 2.6 pounds per week. I think I've done it in a healthy way. I didn't restrict my calories to some insane number. I just stayed on a consistent diet and workout routine.
    If you look at energy content of fat, there's 3,500 calories. To lose, say, 2 lbs, you would have to reduce your normal diet by 1,000 kcals a day. That's quite a big deficit. Imagine trying to go for 3 lbs a week. That would be 1500 kcals lost every day.

Now, when there are such huge reductions in kcals, bad things happen with the body. Testosterone goes down, cortisol goes up, IGF-1 goes down, your Thyroid dips, leptin goes down, and you basically become catabolic. There is also a metabolic slow down in general because your body thinks it's starving.

So, is that healthy? No. Dieting for too long is not a good idea. Now with this in mind, certainly, very large individuals could lose more than 1-2 lbs per week. Obese beginners are usually the exception to most rules. That sounds like what you were. And many times, it's more healthy for them to just lose weight.. period. LBM or not.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    If you look at energy content of fat, there's 3,500 calories. To lose, say, 2 lbs, you would have to reduce your normal diet by 1,000 kcals a day. That's quite a big deficit. Imagine trying to go for 3 lbs a week. That would be 1500 kcals lost every day.

Now, when there are such huge reductions in kcals, bad things happen with the body. Testosterone goes down, cortisol goes up, IGF-1 goes down, your Thyroid dips, leptin goes down, and you basically become catabolic. There is also a metabolic slow down in general because your body thinks it's starving.

So, is that healthy? No. Dieting for too long is not a good idea. Now with this in mind, certainly, very large individuals could lose more than 1-2 lbs per week. Obese beginners are usually the exception to most rules. That sounds like what you were. And many times, it's more healthy for them to just lose weight.. period. LBM or not.

But would you really have to cut that many calories out of your diet to lose weight if you're working out as well? I workout 60-70 minutes each day except for Saturdays (this includes both weight training and cardio) and live a more active lifestyle where I'm very seldom sitting down. Wouldn't this burn a lot of those calories I'm consuming throughout the day? I obviously reduced my calories to lose weight, but I do consume a decent amount of food to the point I'm not starving myself.

You can create a calorie deficit by decreasing calorie intake or increasing calorie expenditure or both. If you increased your calorie expenditure from what it was previously then it would contribute to your calorie deficit. The numbers quoted earlier still apply regarding calorie deficit though. Keep in mind that it's much easier to cut 500 calories out of your diet than to exercise enough to burn 500 calories so you still have to watch your diet unless you are doing hours and hours of hard exercise each day.
    It's true that rapid weight loss can have detrimental effects, but in your case being 300+ lbs. was probably more of a health risk that losing 2.6 lbs. per week. So on balance you are still healthier than you were. If you want to lose more weight, I would try to slow down your rate of loss to something no more than ~1 lb. per week.

Quote Originally Posted by CBates View Post
    But would you really have to cut that many calories out of your diet to lose weight if you're working out as well? I workout 60-70 minutes each day except for Saturdays (this includes both weight training and cardio) and live a more active lifestyle where I'm very seldom sitting down. Wouldn't this burn a lot of those calories I'm consuming throughout the day? I obviously reduced my calories to lose weight, but I do consume a decent amount of food to the point I'm not starving myself.
    It's like what Sean said. Increased activity is simply part of the deficit. What I was referring to was having a 1000-1500 deficit of energy. Energy in vs. Energy out.

And I said, obese beginners are always an exception to almost every rule.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    It's like what Sean said. Increased activity is simply part of the deficit. What I was referring to was having a 1000-1500 deficit of energy. Energy in vs. Energy out.

And I said, obese beginners are always an exception to almost every rule.

I get what you're saying. Just the way you worded your original statement "To lose, say, 2 lbs, you would have to reduce your normal diet by 1,000 kcals a day", made it sound like the only way to lose weight is to reduce your calories through food intake rather than increasing calorie expenditure. Maybe I just read into it wrong though.....

Also, yeah, I was obese, but hardly a beginner. I more so focused on power lifting (1-3 days of bench, squat, and DL a week) and just eating whatever for the past 6-7 years to get to the point I'm at now. Even at 208 I'm actually losing body fat at a quicker pace than when I started at 305.

I've been on the boards awhile as you can tell my join date, so I'm far from a newbie. For the past several years I've seen the statement by some members here that 1lb per week is what one should aim for, but no other facts to back up the statement. I think the 1-2lb per week is more so a general recommendation. I know that you gave a list of reasons what *could* happen, but everyone is different.

Like I said in my original post on this subject, I'm not saying anyone is wrong or calling out the logic of any statements, but more so just looking for scientific reasons why you shouldn't lose more than 2 lbs per week..and yes I've done research on google and found sites that say that you shouldn't lose more than a pound or two a week, but nothing really backing up that statement.

slower = better. 1lb a week really shouldnt be considered healthy IMO.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54