Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPF weightclass changes?

I like the bench rule changes, I use my squat shoes for bench and my feet have a tendency to slip when I get leg drive. I've missed a couple attempts this way....
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Good news is that if you don't like the new rules you can choose not to lift in the ipf.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I guess I will have to drop a few pounds. I compete 242 and I am currently at 238lbs. This change will be good for guys that are weighing light in there current weight class. It is great to hear they are going to have a raw worlds.
    APF Elite @ 242
    Best Multi Ply Lifts: SQ 848lbs/BP 523lbs/DL 722/Total 2055lbs
    Raw Elite @ 275 (actual weight 243.9lbs)
    Best Raw Lifts: SQ 573lbs/BP 407lbs/DL 705lbs/Total 1658lbs
    My Personal Website and Training Log http:///phillipwylie.com
    http://www.youtube.com/plwylie
    http://www.criticalbench.com/Phillip-Wylie.htm
    Raw Powerlifting Website http://www.rawpl.com
    Raw Powerlifting Forum http://www.rawpl.com/smf

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Wylie View Post
    I guess I will have to drop a few pounds. I compete 242 and I am currently at 238lbs. This change will be good for guys that are weighing light in there current weight class. It is great to hear they are going to have a raw worlds.
    Lucky you. I sit around 250 and cut water for meets... I was planning on cutting weight to 240ish anyway, Now I just gotta drop more lol.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Good news is that if you don't like the new rules you can choose not to lift in the ipf.
    Thats the best part of all of this.

I haven't been a fan of the IPF for the last few years for various reasons. These rule changes just prove me correct in my mind.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

So, the IPF are a single ply federation right? Are they having unequipped events now too? Or have they always done that?

Also, I agree on less weight class = better, but it's ****ing powerlifting and the weight classes need to be distributed accordingly. They aren't distance runners, get some heavier weight classes. I really do think there should be another weight class somewhere around 300lbs, 265lbs is just too low to say that anything above that is a SHW, IMO.

I like the new bench rules, and honestly I'd like a "no handoff" rule but that's just me. It's not something I'd want in all feds but it makes perfect sense for the IPF. If you have to walk out your squats, why not have to unrack your own bar to bench?

Sidenote: The other day the thought of inventing a bench mono lift popped into my head. Good idea or bad?

Dr. Subtotal
    Actually, the monolift came about from a self-spotting bench prototype.
    As long as there is single-ply gear, the IPF will have a handoff. If not, say goodbye to a lot of lifters.
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/17076

According to Marksteiner, around 73% of the USAPL will be in the top four weight classes lol. If you look at the SHW class, only 2% of the current IPF population falls under that 120+ guideline, yet in the USAPL that number is near 15%. American lifters are just heavier period, which is probably why we're the only country complaining about that lol.

I also have no idea why they dropped the lowest subjunior/junior weight class for women when the 114 class for men didnt drop. There's barely anyone in those classes period. As much as the people (cough gear companies cough) don't want to admit, unequipped is the only way the IOC wants to see powerlifting. And at an international level, more lifters can get into the sport due to simplicity of training, cost, etc. IF all these changes were just to appease to the IOC, then this was a mistake, because it simply isn't going to happen.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    Yea, if you look at Joe Marksteiner's numbers on the PWatch post, around only 4 percent of the IPF population is above 120 kg. Hence consolidating 125 and SHW. Contrast the USAPL and the IPF percentages, it shows the American influence on powerlifting, in gaining weight until your Wilks or DL suffers. This was also done per suggestion when looking at the Wilks formula per the agenda. From an administrative/television standpoint, fewer classes would work better. Means you can test more people per weight class for the same price.

I still liked the WPO Light/middle/heavy weight class breakdown and really wish they did that.
    I agree. The old WPO weight class format would be good if all the feds would go to it. But it will never happen. Too many people like thin classes and easy 1st place trophies. With all of the divisions and weight classes you'll have like 32 or more 1st place trophies at a lot of state meets. When everybody in the meet gets 1st, it might as well be a T ball awards banquet; where everybody on the team gets an MVP trophy. I got a few people stirred up at PLWATCH on this same topic by suggesting starting weight classes at 165s and doing away with Jr. divisions (20-23) and starting Masters at 50+.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)