The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - Method vs Method

By Ty Phillips

I hear more questions on this method vs. that method. Strongman vs. Powerlifting, Oly lifting vs. Powerlifting and we all make fun of body builders. Jumbo sized morons shaving each other down and rubbing each other in baby oil to play sausage mania on stage.... but enough with that crap. Let's get back to the point. There is no such thing as the one sure fire method. Are there worse methods and better methods, probably. It all really comes down to one thing in the end. Genetics and common sense.

When we start out, everything works because everything is new and causes stress on the body and thus creates growth. But, as is human nature, we cling to things we like and we have had success with and ridicule everything else.

I was very guilty of this msyelf..even last year. I had a background in strongman and I was anti gear, anti sumo deadlift, anti bench etc. ad infinitum. I teased guys in my gym for these very things and swore I would never do them. Now, I find myself powerlifting, wearing gear, doing sumo for assistance work and using bands and chains and even..wait for it, enjoying benching!

So what's my point, right? My point is, we all cling to things, we all make rash judgements on what we feel is best, useful and the right way to do things.

Truth be told, none of us know jack **** and all we do is lift weights. Why not learn all we can, enjoy the process just shut the hell up and train!

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - November 10th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-10-2010 at 03:35 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I can relate to this.

Having an open mind is such a strong characteristic, not just for training but in the real world.

I was always anti mobility/stretching etc. Only when I started getting injured a lot did I turn to it. Stupid, I should have had an open mind.

Same goes for body-part splits. I was always convinced they were the only way to train for a long time. I'm getting on much better with full body and upper/lower splits now. I should have had an open mind earlier on!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I am guilty of this too. It kept me from doing a lot of productive things. But I'm learning...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Wannabebig Member
    I am still new to this, so this is a big issue with me.

I don't think the problem is just the amount of information out there. I think a big issue is that different things work for different people, and these things work differently at different times of one's life.

Also people flip flop. They will say, you know what, I did this volume ***** for years and didn't work for me. Doing low reps, low volume is the way to go. Never mind that they just did the low rep/volume routine for the past 2 months, but got most of their gains using different methods.

The other problem is that when people share what they are doing, they frequently do not state the goals with which they are applying their training programs for instance. Like someone doing back specialization on a cut diet. Doesn't make sense.

I think the advice to shut the hell up and train is counterproductive. People need proper coaching or tremendous knowledge, awareness of self, and ability to evaluate their response to different things in order to progress, I think.
    Last edited by stasik; 11-11-2010 at 04:53 PM.