Thread: Cutting

Wannabebig New Member

Cutting

Hi,

I feel like I’m quite experienced in terms of knowing my own body and how it reacts etc. I have never really done cardio and never felt the need to go on a ‘cut’. I haven’t ever felt the need to phase my training and diet in terms of cutting and bulking as, probably due to being young, I never used to have a problem keeping bf low.

Over the last two years or so I have noticed that I put on fat a lot easier (23 yrs old now) and so I am thinking of going on a ‘cut’. One of my biggest motivations is being able to increase the amount of weight I can lift and breaking PBs.

On a cut with below maintenance calories, I often hear people say, “you should be able to maintain your muscle or keep most of it”. Does that mean that I should not expect to increase the lbs each week? I never really weigh myself and have always judged my improvement through strength increases. I want to know what to expect if I go on a cut. Should I be disheartened if my poundages stay the same or even go down?

Thanks,

Ryan.

What I read here is that you won't make strength gains in a calorie deficit.
    And that seems logical - Strength gains require muscle growth, and muscle growth requires a calorie surplus.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

If you've been training hard for a while and have built some decent strength, then you are very, very unlikely to keep gaining strength while you lose weight. If you are like ~99% of natural trainees I've seen you will likely lose some strength along the way. You can minimize these strength loses by losing weight slowly and not crash dieting, but just prepare yourself mentally for the fact that you aren't going to maintain your peak level of strength.

Some people have reported strength gains while cutting with a typical CKD program like the Ultimate diet 2.0 or whatever CKD you wanna use. But I wouldn't count on it. I personally gained strength when I did a CKD to lose fat after a bulk but a lot of it was probably neural.. that is, I did new movements I hadn't previously ever done much.

The whole concept is to let the deficit of kcals take care of the body fat and maintaining your weight/reps to 'signal' your body to keep the muscle. So if weights go down, it can sometimes be expected and it happens, but try your best you lift the same heavy weights. If you are maintaining your lifts for the most part, you probably aren't losing LBM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig New Member

thanks

thanks for the replies.

I will just my it my aim to keep the weight the same.

I'll let you know how its going when I start!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNoodles View Post
    Hi,

I feel like I’m quite experienced in terms of knowing my own body and how it reacts etc. I have never really done cardio and never felt the need to go on a ‘cut’. I haven’t ever felt the need to phase my training and diet in terms of cutting and bulking as, probably due to being young, I never used to have a problem keeping bf low.

Over the last two years or so I have noticed that I put on fat a lot easier (23 yrs old now) and so I am thinking of going on a ‘cut’. One of my biggest motivations is being able to increase the amount of weight I can lift and breaking PBs.

On a cut with below maintenance calories, I often hear people say, “you should be able to maintain your muscle or keep most of it”. Does that mean that I should not expect to increase the lbs each week? I never really weigh myself and have always judged my improvement through strength increases. I want to know what to expect if I go on a cut. Should I be disheartened if my poundages stay the same or even go down?

Thanks,

Ryan.
    Ryan -

The term "cutting" is typically defined as a period when an individual is looking to decrease bodyfat percentage as rapid as possible and is willing to sacrifice size/strength in order to do so. A "re-comp" would be when someone is trying to maintain their current bodyweight while improving body composition, which typically means slower progress.

If you are working to decrease bodyfat it is not realistic to expect strength gains or bodyweight gains. This is especially true for someone who is an intermediate lifter and has been training for a while. With this in mind it is still possible to maintain your strength while improving body composition, which it sounds like is the ultimate goal that you have in mind.

Do you have an idea of how you plan to go about your 'cutting' phase? I may be able to help with some diet and training information if you are interested.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com