Page 41 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2740

Thread: Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Good luck with the 20 reppers (you're going to need it in a few weeks )
    Thanks Pharm...happy thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ironwill727 View Post
    20 reps on squats is quite the physical and mental challenge. Once you get heavy you might see spirts of Lifters past, present, and future lol.
    Been there done that...looking forward to doing it again.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I know I don't have to tell you this, but make sure you're getting your rest!

How many days in between workouts, you may have said it but I think I missed it.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Friday March 18th

Bench Press
    195 lbs x 12
    195 lbs x 12 reps

Overhead Press
    145 lbs x 12 reps

Rear Laterals
    30 lbrs x 12 reps

Notes:
    I judged the weights pretty well on these lifts. The bench failed right at 12 reps on the second set. The laterals were a little too light. Can't wait to squat again on Sunday...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    I know I don't have to tell you this, but make sure you're getting your rest!

How many days in between workouts, you may have said it but I think I missed it.
    Except for today, I will be rotating the two workouts three days a week. Every lift gets hit three times in two weeks.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

You know your body better than me and I'm sure you don't need advice, but an extra day between workouts when the load starts to get heavier may be a benefit. especially when you start hitting the 80% + mark.

Do it up OR, I'll be routing for ya!
    Last edited by Cards; 03-18-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Nice work OR! Glad to have u training with a lot of enthusiasm, will give you some good rewards
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

My Journal

Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

I'm really interested to see how this works out for you, looks like a brutal program. You know your body best though.

Give it hell man

Routine looks good OR. Posting some very respectable numbers already
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Nice work OR! Glad to have u training with a lot of enthusiasm, will give you some good rewards
    It's comforting to do a routine that you KNOW will give fast results.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Routine looks good OR. Posting some very respectable numbers already
    Thanks Kiff. I am way stronger than the last time I used this routine. I'm starting the 12s with the weights I used to fail at the 5s.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    You know your body better than me and I'm sure you don't need advice, but an extra day between workouts when the load starts to get heavier may be a benefit. especially when you start hitting the 80% + mark.

Do it up OR, I'll be routing for ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by KIBBLES N BITS View Post
    I'm really interested to see how this works out for you, looks like a brutal program. You know your body best though.

Give it hell man
    This routine is really supposed to throw you into overtraining, then it's followed by a big deload for supercompensation. It's a very fast progression. The goal is not to see improvements within the cycle, but from one cycle to the next. I've had really good success with it in the past.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    This routine is really supposed to throw you into overtraining, then it's followed by a big deload for supercompensation. It's a very fast progression. The goal is not to see improvements within the cycle, but from one cycle to the next. I've had really good success with it in the past.
    Sounds very interesting. I saw your split, is there more behind it with regards to weight increases form workout to workout? If you could give a brief summary as to the main ideas of this routine.

Found my answer eh. Reading is key in life!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Three days a week, alternating "A" and "B" workouts...

Routine A:
    Squats : 1 set of 20 reps (breathing squats)
    Pullovers : 1 set of 20 reps (light weight, focus on breathing and stretch)
    *Wait about 10 minutes*
    Chinups: 1 set of max reps
    Barbell Rows : 1 set of 12 to 6 reps
    Barbell Shrugs: 1 set of 12 to 6 reps

Routine B:
    Deadlift: 1 set of 12 to 6 reps (every other B workout)
    Bench Press: 2 sets of 12 to 6 reps
    Overhead Press: 1 set of 12 to 6 reps
    Bent over Rear laterals: 1 set of 12 to 6 reps

Notes: Start with a weight that has you failing at 12 reps. Every session add 5 or 10 lbs. When you fail at 5 reps, keep the weight the same until all exercises are stalled at 5 reps. At that time you deload for 2 weeks by cutting the weights down to 50% and doing 3 sets of 15 reps. After that, take a full week off and then start the process over with even heavier weights, trying to beat all weight and rep PRs along the way.

Always, always get 20 reps on the squats.

After a few cycles, you can add an extra set or add some different exercises
    I really like the looks of this routine John! It looks awesome. How long has it been since you did this routine or something very similar to it?

Do you plan on eatting a bit more to help recovery, or are you still working through a cut?
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-19-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Sounds very interesting. I saw your split, is there more behind it with regards to weight increases form workout to workout? If you could give a brief summary as to the main ideas of this routine.
    Obviously it revolves around the 20 rep breathing squat, which is the driving force behind the gains. The idea is to get your squat numbers up above 300 lbs to really see the gains happen. It trains the hunger and triggers the growth response.

The other lifts have a very fast progression. You want to overload everything by training to failure and aggressively add large amounts of weight every session. Similar thought to DC training, except you don't switch exercises; you deload them and start over (fast cycles).

You will start the cycle by using a weight that just allows you to get 12 reps. This may take a few sessions if you aren't experienced enough to guess the weight. Every session you add 5 to 10 lbs to every lift and continue to train to failure. You will soon fail to get all required 12 reps and you will fail on rep 10 or so. That's okay, just keep adding the weight and let the reps fail where they will.

Every session gets heavier and you end up working a variety of rep ranges (from 12 to 5). When a lift fails at 5 reps, keep the weight constant until a big majority of lifts have stalled at 5 reps. At this point you have probably enterd the overtraining zone and are ready for a break.

Now take 50% of your 5 rep weight and spend two weeks doing three stes or 15 reps for each lift. This has a recovery effect but offers a completely different stimulus to the body. After those two weeks are over, take a complete week vacation from lifting to completely recover.

Now start your next cycle the same way, except your 12 rep weight should be heavier, so start heavier. The goal is to stall at 5 reps with greater weight than the cycle before. You can also judge progress along the way by comparing the weight used to fail at the different rep ranges.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

To answer your other questions...

It's been afew years since I've pulled this routine out. Every time I use it, I get my 20 rep squats well over 300 lbs and end up putting on a good amount of solid muscle. The routine will dictate the food, by that I mean when things get heavy then my appetite will kick in and I will eat accordingly. My goal will be to gain strength in all the core lifts and put on some solid muscle.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

OR I haven't read your full journal and i'm still new to the forums. But, do you compete or anything?
    "Take the slow road - don't be the guy "bulking" and "cutting" and "dieting". All of these things fail. It's about a lifestyle."- Jim Wendler

My Log
    http://last.fm/user/dechrizzle
    http://doomisloomis.tumblr.com

I know what you mean. Since I added strongman training to my routine I feel like my appetite has gone up alot. If I was done with powerlifting then I wouldn't mind gaining weight, but I'm gonna try and manage my weight some so I can stay where I'm at and still get strong.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Garage Lifter
    Nice work bud, keep on keeping on
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Like the way you summarized that workout plan, seem to be making headway with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by dechrist View Post
    OR I haven't read your full journal and i'm still new to the forums. But, do you compete or anything?
    Heavens no. I'm just a guy pushing 50 years old that still likes to work out hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    I know what you mean. Since I added strongman training to my routine I feel like my appetite has gone up alot. If I was done with powerlifting then I wouldn't mind gaining weight, but I'm gonna try and manage my weight some so I can stay where I'm at and still get strong.
    Like i always say, you know you're working out correctly when it spikes the appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Nice work bud, keep on keeping on
    Will do Pharm, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Like the way you summarized that workout plan, seem to be making headway with it too.
    Thanks Coke.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Like i always say, you know you're working out correctly when it spikes the appetite.
    Good point!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

3/20/20011

Trap Bar Deadlift
    300 lbs x 20 reps

Pullovers
    30 lbs x 20 reps

*wait 10 minutes*

Chinups
    BW (235 lbs) x 7 reps

Barbell Rows
    205 lbs x 12 reps

Barbell Shrugs
    295 lbs x 11 reps

Notes:
    I switched the squats with Trap Bar for several reasons. The most important reason is after the last squat session my achilis was tender and stiff the next morning. Still not completely healed I guess. Also, the Trap Bar is an excellent squat replacement, really hammers the quads, and uses a large amount of muscle. That makes it a perfect lift for this type of routine.

Besides, Rader said that even better progress can be made with deadlifts if the lifter is up to the brutality of it. I think I am up to the task.

The chins improved by one good rep. The rows are getting heavy as hell and I expect the reps to start dropping fast. I actually did 12 reps with the shrugs, but I can't count the last partial rep, so the count is 11.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I'm always impressed with your 20 reppers on various exercises. You've got to have some stamina for it. I'm looking forward to tracking your progress on your new albeit old program that has treated you well in the past. Are you still trying to "cut" or are you gonna let your appetite dictate your calorie intake?

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    I'm always impressed with your 20 reppers on various exercises. You've got to have some stamina for it. I'm looking forward to tracking your progress on your new albeit old program that has treated you well in the past. Are you still trying to "cut" or are you gonna let your appetite dictate your calorie intake?
    Since I'm not a "bodybuilder," I'm less concerned with fat and won't short-change the program because of reduced calories. I won't actively bulk, but I will let the efforts dictate the food consumption. If I start feeling run down, I will increase the eating. Until then, I will be eating basically a maintenance diet.

I am also not a "powerlifter." and I'm not too concerned with increasing certain lifts beyond the fact that cetain lifts and progression on those lifts have a positive effect on strength and size. In other words, I find just as much value in the Trap Bar as I do the Barbell Squat for my given purposes.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Looking good OR!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Banned
    Nice chins!

LuNa
    New routine sounds good OR. Will be good to see agressive progression.