The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sousa's Journal

Sousa's Journal

Moving my journal over here. On my 3rd cycle of 531 and getting pretty good results, except my squat is moving very slowly.

2/22/10:

Cycle 3/Week 1/Day 1 (restarting 3rd cycle)

Press - 105x5, 122x5, 138x11

Accessories:

Bradford Press - 95x10x3

Chins - 7/6/6

Face Pulls - 12x3

2/24/10:

Cycle 3/Week 1/Day 2

DL - 235x5, 275x5, 310x10

Accessories:

PC - 135x3, 155x5, 165x3x2, 175x3

DB Side Bends - 60x10x3

2/26/10:

Cycle 3/Week 1/Day 3

Bench - 155x5, 179x5, 203x11

Accessories:

DB Bench - 60x15x3

DB Rows - 80x10x3

2/27/10:

Cycle 3/Week 1/Day 4

Squat - 175x5, 205x5, 230x5

Accessories:

Leg Press - 270x15x3

3/1/10:

Cycle 3/Week 2/Day 1

Press - 113x3, 130x3, 146x8

Accessories:

Bradford Press - 95x10x3

Chins - 7/6/6

Face Pulls - 15x3

3/2/10:

Cycle 3/Week 2/Day 2

DL - 255x3, 290x3, 330x6

Accessories:

GM - 95x12, 105x12, 115x12

DB Side Bends - 70x10x3

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Looks solid so far. I will subscribe to your journal and keep in touch.

Have you stalled yet on squats oe are you able to get prescribed reps easily?

Garage Lifter
    Good see your journal over here Paul. What have you tried for squat accessory work?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Looks solid so far. I will subscribe to your journal and keep in touch.

Have you stalled yet on squats oe are you able to get prescribed reps easily?
    I haven't stalled, but it just seems gains are coming alot slower than my other lifts. I assume with 531 you are stalling if you can't get at least 5 reps on week 1 with your max rep set, at least 3 reps on week 2, etc.? I actually raised my weights a bit this cycle and am going to try and get 5 reps each week during the cycle.

One thought I have is to switch my squat and DL days so that I have a little mor recovery time for squats. I've noticed my low back seems to be the weak link on squat day. not sure if the DL/GM combo on Tuesday is too much to recover from by Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Good see your journal over here Paul. What have you tried for squat accessory work?
    Nice to see some familiar helpful folks from SS as well! I've tried walking lunges, BBB squats, front squats, and now leg presses. Leg presses are my favorite so far, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Garage Lifter
    My accessory work on Deadlift day include squats to a high box (to get me used to heavier weights) and on Squat days I do ATG squats completely raw. For the accessory work I'm trying to always keep a few reps in the tank on the last set. I'm hoping the extra frequency in squatting will help with progression.

Definitely post a question in the powerlifting section. You'll probably get quite a bit of good feedback.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    I haven't stalled, but it just seems gains are coming alot slower than my other lifts. I assume with 531 you are stalling if you can't get at least 5 reps on week 1 with your max rep set, at least 3 reps on week 2, etc.? I actually raised my weights a bit this cycle and am going to try and get 5 reps each week during the cycle.

One thought I have is to switch my squat and DL days so that I have a little mor recovery time for squats. I've noticed my low back seems to be the weak link on squat day. not sure if the DL/GM combo on Tuesday is too much to recover from by Friday?
    Yep, this is the definition of stalling. What bodyweight are you at? Kinda strange that squats are coming along slowly... Do you feel fatigued in the glutes/hamstrings on Squat days from your tuesday workouts??

How did BBB squats feel when you used them as accesory?
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 03-03-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Yep, this is the definition of stalling. What bodyweight are you at? Kinda strange that squats are coming along slowly... Do you feel fatigued in the glutes/hamstrings on Squat days from your tuesday workouts??

How did BBB squats feel when you used them as accesory?
    I hover around 225-230 lbs at 6'. I did a short SS stint and ate like a horse and went from 185 to 225 in 2 months. My pressing went up a good amount, as has my DL, but my squat is being stubborn. I am trying to maintain my BW, if not lose some, since I feel my strength is nowhere near where it should be for my weight (plus my conditioning is awful right now).

It's mostly my low back that feels fatigued on squat days. I am thinking it's due to the DL/GM combo?

And BBB squats were probably my next favorite accessory next to leg press. I HATE walking lunges, although some people have told me they work great.

My accessory work on Deadlift day include squats to a high box (to get me used to heavier weights) and on Squat days I do ATG squats completely raw. For the accessory work I'm trying to always keep a few reps in the tank on the last set. I'm hoping the extra frequency in squatting will help with progression.

Definitely post a question in the powerlifting section. You'll probably get quite a bit of good feedback.
    I've actually been thinking about doing the BBB squats as a DL accessory to try and get some additional squat volume, but the box squats sound interesting.

I'll try posting over in the PL forum as well, thanks!

3/5/10:

Cyc le 3/Week 2/ Day 3

Bench - 167x3, 191x3, 215x8

Accessories:

DB Bench - 70x10, 75x10x2, 75x7, 70x10

DB Row - 85x10x3

Bench is still down from my PR, but getting back there (previous best with 215 was 10 reps on 1/14/10). Decided to increase the weight on DB bench and go for 5 sets of 10 instead of 3 sets of 15. hoping a little added weight on those will boost my bench. DB rows were good, went up 5 pounds and got the 3x10 with no problems.

Garage Lifter
    Very solid session

Very solid session
    Thanks! It felt good yesterday. I am hoping the added weight on the DB bench will help boost my BB bench. And even though it was only a 5lb. jump on the DB row, my back is nice and sore today from it.

3/6/10:

Cycle 3/Week 2/Day 4

Squat - 190x3, 215x3, 245x5

Accessories:

Leg Press - 360x10x3

Weighted Situps (behind head) - 25x8x2, 25x3, 10x5 (switched to a 10 right after failing 4th rep w/25)

Today actually felt pretty good. I made a couple changes on the squat. First, I squatted in a squat rack instead of a cage. I think I mentally think I am too close to the back of the cage and it was causing me to stay too far forward in the squat. The rack was good since I didn't worry about that at all. I also widened my grip and went with a thumbs around grip. It felt better and the weight didn't seem as heavy on my back. 245 is the most I've ever actually squatted so I am taking today as a win.

I am planning on doing 5 sets of 10 on leg press going forward, but only did 3 sets today as I play hoop on Sundays and didn't want to completely kill my legs today. My squat day is normally friday which gives me time to recover from 5 sets.

Weighted situps are tough since I can easily do 5 sets of 10 with a 10 lb. plate, but the 25 lber is a big jump. I think I'll try for 5 sets of 5 with the 25 lber next week and see how that feels.

Garage Lifter
    Solid work Paul. There is definitely a mental side to heavy lifting

3/8/10:

Cycle 3/Week 3/Day 1

Press - 122x5, 138x3, 154.5x6

Accessories:

Bradford Press - 95x10x3

BB Shrugs - 225x15x3

Press felt good tonight, but I know I could have done more reps. On my fifth rep I lost balance a bit at lockout and had to step back a bit with my left foot to catch myself. Threw my rhythm off and the sixth rep ended up being harder than it should have been. i am pretty sure i would ahve had a seventh if it wasn't for that stumble.

Bradford press is easier to get the three sets now, definitely will increase the weight next cycle. Ended up doing shrugs instead of chins as my left wrist was hurting after playing hoop yesterday, must have jammed it somehow. hope it doesn't bother me tomorrow with DL's.

Picked up the new 5/3/1 for Football e-book. Gave it a bit of a read and it looks really good so far. I am thinking after this cycle I will try out the 8 week Winter Strength & Conditioning cycle. I originally switched to 5/3/1 as it was a good fit for me since I play some sports as well as train and this cycle from the new book looks like it could be an even better match. It's pretty much laid out like the 3 day/week cycle from 5/3/1, but it uses trap bar DL's instead of BB DL's and also programs Power Cleans as a main lift. It also runs for 8 weeks so it's basically two 5/3/1 cycles in a row without a deload. I'm thinking I'll do this and also add a dedicated conditioning day on Saturdays.

Garage Lifter
    Thanks for the mini-review. I have the ME book that has the original 5/3/1 programming and the 5/3/1 e-book. Does this one add enough to buy it for content? I'll probably get it anyway just to support EFS and Jim but I was curious if I should get it sooner or later.

Thanks for the mini-review. I have the ME book that has the original 5/3/1 programming and the 5/3/1 e-book. Does this one add enough to buy it for content? I'll probably get it anyway just to support EFS and Jim but I was curious if I should get it sooner or later.
    I haven't read it fully from cover to cover yet, but from what I've read i would say it depends on your goals. The majority of the content is geared towards non-strength related training (speed work, jumps/throws, etc.). If you are mainly focused on just getting stronger than the original 5/3/1 is all you need. But if you are more of an athlete who appreciates strength training and likes the 5/3/1 template than I would recommend it. There are parts I definitely won't use since I am not a football player/on a team (i.e. - in-season cycles, etc.). But the Winter Strength & Conditioning program is really well laid out, and it has alot of squatting which I think I will benefit from. There is also a really good warm-up provided, with alot of info as to why the different movements are used.

So I guess I would say if you are mainly concerned with just strength you won't get too much out of it, but if you are interested in seeing how 5/3/1 can be applied for an athlete it is worth the purchase.

3/10/10:

Cycle 3/Week 3/Day 2

DL - 275x5, 310x3, 345x5

Accessories:

GM - 115x12x3

DB Side Bends - 70x10x3

Pretty straightforward session. Wish I tried for a 6th rep, but I am still hesitant to really push it on the DL.
    Last edited by Paul Sousa; 03-12-2010 at 05:49 PM.

3/12/10:

Cycle 3/Week 3/Day 3

Bench - 180x5, 205x3, 227x8

Accessories:

DB Bench - 70x10x4, 70x9 (dammit!)

DB Rows - 85x10x3

The bench felt great tonight! I easily got 8 and actually did 10 reps, but the guy I asked to spot me said he helped "just a tiny bit" on the last two. My 8th rep was easy and the bar was coming off my chest quickly so I don't think I needed any help, but none the less he said he helped so I'm not counting them.

Accessory work was straight forward. Tried to keep the rests short on DB bench which I assume is the cause for the missed 9th rep.

Garage Lifter
    8 reps on your "3" day is very respectable. Especially on your third cycle. Keep the momentum for squats!

3/13/10:

Cycle 3/Week 3/Day 4

Squat - 205x5, 230x3, 255x4

10 minutes on inclined treadmill

Didn't have much time so I went for the main lift and did some light conditioning. My squat still sucks. 255 for 4 is nowhere near as good as I want right now. I am going to lower my training max next cycle as my 1RM estimated off this set is under 290.

Took last week off after tweaking my hip. Started the Winter S&C program (slightly modified) from the 5/3/1 for Football book last night.

3/22/10:

Week 1/Day 1

Press - 110x5, 125x5, 142x10 (PR) - Did a set of 3 chins after each set

Front Squat - 100x5, 120x5, 140x5 - Did a set of 3 chins after each set

Dips/EZBB Curl superset - 12/70x10, 12/70x10, 10/70x10

Glute Ham Raise/Roman Chair Situp superset - 10/12, 9/12

I really liked this workout. The chins between the sets of Press and Front Squats is an easy way to sneak some extra chinning into my training. I also liked the supersetting as it takes less time. I was nervous about the GHR's as I've never done them before. They were tough, but not as bad as I expected. Hamstrings are nice and tired today.

I am making two changes to the program as written. I am doing Front Squats instead of regular Squats as i tweaked my hip and feel the narrower stance will give it some time to heal. I am also subbing Conventional DLs for the Trap Bar DLs basically because I want to.

I'm excited to see how I progress on this cycle. My main goal is to get back in shape and increase my athleticism with a secondary goal of increased strength.

Okay, after about a month plus of dicking around I settled on a schedule I am happy with. I also somehow still managed to set a rep max PR on my press during this time (140x11). I have no idea why my press keeps going up even with erratic programming, but no complaints here.

Here is the schedule I am going to follow:

Tuesday:
    Incline Bench/Squat (531 style)
    Upper Back Accessory (chins, rows, etc.)
    Ab work
    Conditioning

Thursday:
    Press/Deadlift (531 style)
    Upper Back work (chins, rows, etc.)
    Ab work
    Conditioning

Saturday:
    Outdoor conditioning (hill sprints, truck pushing, etc.)

My goal is to increase conditioning while still making some strength gains. Ultimately I would like to get into strongman competitions.

4/14/10:

Incline - 135x5, 155x5, 175x11

Squat - 160x5, 190x5, 215x12

Chins - 6/4 (stopped after this as my wrists were hirting for some reason)

Face Pulls - 3x15

10 minutes on the treadmill