The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

what should calorie intake be?

i am in a fitness class 5 days a week, each class is at least a hour long and we do weight lifting and im also learning to do old school boxing where i train 3 days a week where each class is about a one and a half to two hours long. we go for runs(not if cold) 5-10 minutes of skipping punching bag work, circuits and sparring. so i was just curious and what my calorie intake should be. any information is good
    Last edited by cole01; 11-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Theres a formula, I dont have the link, maybe someone will post it. I want to say for your activity level its 18 x weight (what you want to weigh). As activity level goes down so does the number you use to multiply body weight. I believe 14 is the low end, then 16 and 18 at the top for very active people.

There are numerous formulas and online calculators but the only accurate way is to track what you eat.

Wannabebig Member MyWeightLifting's Avatar
    I find that these work pretty well:

Gaining weight: Bodyweight in lbs x 18 +/- 2
    Maintaining weight: Bodyweight in lbs x 15 +/- 2
    Losing weight: Bodyweight in lbs x 12 +/- 2

NOTE: Use "-2" if you have a slow metabolism & are inactive. Use "+2" if you have a faster metabolism and/or are pretty active, not counting you lifting routine. If you're somewhere in between, then just go with the number given. All these measures are subjective and there are so many factors that contribute to, and can change your actual caloric expenditures (and by extension, your caloric requirements), so you will likely have to do a little tweaking once you put your diet into practice -- However, it's a smart idea to get a good estimate, and these equations do just that...

...The only exceptions are extreme ectomorph types or Michael Phelps types who do an insane amount of daily exercise/activities.
    If you liked my post, you'll probably like my weight lifting information site too. Check it out, Slime!

Quote Originally Posted by MyWeightLifting View Post
    I find that these work pretty well:

Gaining weight: Bodyweight in lbs x 18 +/- 2
    Maintaining weight: Bodyweight in lbs x 15 +/- 2
    Losing weight: Bodyweight in lbs x 12 +/- 2

NOTE: Use "-2" if you have a slow metabolism & are inactive. Use "+2" if you have a faster metabolism and/or are pretty active, not counting you lifting routine. If you're somewhere in between, then just go with the number given. All these measures are subjective and there are so many factors that contribute to, and can change your actual caloric expenditures (and by extension, your caloric requirements), so you will likely have to do a little tweaking once you put your diet into practice -- However, it's a smart idea to get a good estimate, and these equations do just that...

...The only exceptions are extreme ectomorph types or Michael Phelps types who do an insane amount of daily exercise/activities.
    That certainly seems to fit my losing fat diet. I try to go all out for exercise sunday-friday and rest on saturday and I hover around 2100-2200 calories, and it seems to be working even though the losses are less and less as I get closer to the ultimate abs goal. It just always seems to be a case of cutting out the crap here and there and still reaching my protein intake goal. I can't wait until I can switch to the maintaining calculation FINALLY. Passing by all these colorful holiday themed marshmallows in the stores I've been tempted to just rip open a few packs and down the fluffy goodness, heh. Carbs suck...

Codeguru
    Last edited by Codeguru; 11-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.