Thread: Repetition effort

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Repetition effort

Ok first off is it Repetition effort or repeated effort because I hear both terms getting tossed around.

Now, what is repetition effort? I've seen it prescribed several ways. For example

4x8-12-Joe Defrancos WS4SB

Timed movements such as Squats/Bench 225x3:00

Or pick a weight that you can do for a triple for multiple sets like 5x3

If any westside gurus could chime I'd appreciate it thanks!
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

My interpretation is this: If you aren't doing max effort or dynamic effort then whatever you are doing is repetition effort. Also, there are many ways to do RE work: Defranco's style, timed sets (as you see Louie talk about a lot), 5 sets of 10, etc.

I have always thought of all assistance work being "repetition effort" work.

In the scheme of things it doesn't really matter...
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

im no westside guru at all. but i did do a timed squat set today. went 2 mins with 135 (30% 1RM). it was horrible. definitely great for conditioning though. i will probably do it every 4-5 weeks or something on a DE day. i don't think it would be considered a ME type of workout, i never hit a muscle failure i was just winded and sort of wanted to die. i didn't count but i did 25-30 reps in the 2 mins.

"2. Lifting a maximal load to failure; during the final repetitions the muscles develop maximum force possible in a fatigued state- that is, the [B]repeated effort method.[B]" (zatsiorsky, kraemer)

They go on to explain "submaximal effort" vs. "repeated effort". Basically submaximal effort might be something like 8-10 reps with a 12RM while repeated effort would be 12 reps with a 12 RM...

This is the textbook definition though, and its different than Ive seen it being used by others in the field.

I beleive Defranco uses it in a similar manner, but basically say something like pick a certain weight dumbell and do three sets of AMRAP. Or, do similar to bodybuilding type stuff and do 4x8-12.

And the way Ive seen the Westside guys mention it, is more longer duration times sets (up to 3 minutes) more for recovery and blood flow. BUT, I also see it suggested often that beginners might want to switch RE work in for DE work, and I doubt they are suggesting these long sets. I think they are probably using it interchangably with the "submaximal effort" method, or just plain "hypertrophy work".

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by danki View Post
    "2. Lifting a maximal load to failure; during the final repetitions the muscles develop maximum force possible in a fatigued state- that is, the [B]repeated effort method.[B]" (zatsiorsky, kraemer)

They go on to explain "submaximal effort" vs. "repeated effort". Basically submaximal effort might be something like 8-10 reps with a 12RM while repeated effort would be 12 reps with a 12 RM...

This is the textbook definition though, and its different than Ive seen it being used by others in the field.

I beleive Defranco uses it in a similar manner, but basically say something like pick a certain weight dumbell and do three sets of AMRAP. Or, do similar to bodybuilding type stuff and do 4x8-12.

And the way Ive seen the Westside guys mention it, is more longer duration times sets (up to 3 minutes) more for recovery and blood flow. BUT, I also see it suggested often that beginners might want to switch RE work in for DE work, and I doubt they are suggesting these long sets. I think they are probably using it interchangably with the "submaximal effort" method, or just plain "hypertrophy work".

Hope this helps.

This is what I was going to say. Zatsiorsky's definition calls them two different things (submaximal effort vs. repeated effort).

I think most people refer to the submaximal effort method because they are generally talking about doing reps but not going to failure.

Repeated effort method would be more like your 5 x 3 example, if you think you would fail after the third rep.

But yeah, typically when people refer to the RE method, they are talking about doing multiple reps with a weight, kind of like Defranco's example.

Ya, I think Zatsiorsky pretty much implies that unless you are training ME, or DE, then sets of 5-10 repetitions are the best as far as hypertrophy goes. His example, is that sets of 10 with a 12 RM would be SE, while sets of 10 with a 10RM would be RE.

So really there isn't that big of a difference, just a few reps and failure. The way defranco is using RE is pretty similar, but still different, and the way Louie uses it is completely different.

Its all very confusing.

I guess the moral of this, is to know what you are trying to accomplish and not worry too much about what your method is called.