Thread: Working around a shoulder impingement

Working around a shoulder impingement

This has been my normal upper body workout for the better part of the year:

• Bench (flat, incline, or incline)
    • Seated Cable Row
    • Standing OH Press
    • Pull Ups
    • Dips

Due to a shoulder impingement, the items in red are off the list because they just hurt too much.
    My substitute has been this:

• Dumbell press with palms facing each other
    • Seated Cable Row
    • Dumbell OH Press with palms facing each other
    • Pull Ups
    • Dips

Are those the best substitutions, or are there others to consider?

Thanks.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Do what you can without pain for now. Make sure you get to the root of the impingement as well though. See a professional if you need to so you have a correct diagnosis and find out what you can do to rehab the area so you don't have so many restrictions as far as pressing movements. I used to have some mild impingement problems and what has fixed them are daily stretching of the pecs, shoulders, and lats including stretching into an externally rotated position. I also have a pair of small indian clubs that I used for warm-up and cool-down on upper body lifting days and sometimes on off days just to promote blood flow and ROM in the shoulders.

Do you know what is wrong with your shoulder?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I used to have very bad shoulder pain to the point where it was affecting my sleep. I added the following to my routine and am now 90%+ healthy if not more. It is rare for me to feel any pain in my shoulder these days.

I do the first three exercises in this video in my warmup every time I workout whether it is arm or leg day. I just do one set of each with a mini band mixed in my other items I do in my warmup routine. It will hurt in the beginning and will take 2-3 months of doing this 4+ days a week before you start noticing a difference. But it is worth it.

Video

I do H-Rolls twice a week. Just 10lbs per arm for 10-12 reps. Nice and light. I do 5 sets.

Bench with your elbows tucked to take the stress off your shoulders (if you don't already). Do not use an extra wide grip as the wider your grip the more stress on the shoulder. Pinky or ring finger on the ring is about as far as I would go. I would think the dumbbell presses would not be as beneficial as a tucked barbell bench, but if you are going to do dumbbells then tuck your elbows when pressing with those as well.

Incorporate military press into your routine. Warm up properly with the band exercises and plenty of reps with just bar.

Add microlactin (e.g. ETS) as a supplement. Microlactin does wonders for joint pain. It helps with both my shoulder and knee pains. It will take a few weeks for the microlactin to build up in your body, but you should notice an immediate result after the two weeks.

Thanks for the replies. I have a sports medicine physical therapist who's said there's nothing torn, it's just an impingement. So I suppose that's good, but this sucks big time. He's prescribed similar strengthening and stretching movements as Sean and Teeroy have posted. Interesting that the vid is volleyball-minded: That's exactly how I injured it. Putting ice on it 3-4 times a day helps.

I guess I'll just do what my shoulder will let me do and nothing more. Because I want it to get better and sooner would be better than later.
    Last edited by Bosch232; 11-19-2010 at 05:36 AM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Banned
    Don't do pullups unless it is neutral grip. It will strain your shoulder and you will never get it to heal. Personally, I would take a week off and do literally nothing. Don't even stretch it. Just let it heal then work back with light weights and a lot of stretching.

I've gone through it a couple of times. The first time immediately after it got injurred and then a second time after I took 4 months off of any exercising. The pain came back after not doing the rehab/prehab for 4 months. Each time it took several months to get to where it felt pretty good and I wasn't in pain throughout the day. So it may take a little while once you start your prehab/rehab.

It's still too soon to say I'm over this, but I've been doing the following pretty consistently, as recommended by my P.T.:

Stretching the pecs.
    Strengthening the back and back-of-shoulder with band exercises .
    Ice a couple of times a day (even at work).
    Avoiding those movements causing irritation.

It seems to be working. I'm hopeful that in another 7-10 days this is behind me.