The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squats and DLs twice a week?

Hey guys,

So just sorting myself out an HCT12 routine, starting today and looking forward to it.

Doing four days and have down on Weds/Sat Squat and Deadlift.

Now I'm pretty much a beginner (been lifting 6 months, but not had nutrition or a good routine) and I recover pretty quickly, but is Squats and DLs twice per week pushing it?

Should I swap out something to make sure I do them on different days, n replace them with legpress or somesuch on the others?

Don't want to overtrain myself right at the beginning.

Ta, all the best

Gaz

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I recommend (in the article too) that on a day you deadlift you don't squat and on a day you squat you don't deadlift i.e. Weds deadlift and leg press, Saturday squat and rack pull.
    Good luck with the program and if you have any more questions post them up.

Fantastic! Just the kind of answer I was looking for, will make those changes to the routine.

Cheers

Wannabebig Member
    I'm about 8 weeks into this program. Started on Squats with Rack Pulls, then swapped after first deload to Deads and Hack Squats. BUT I'm really keen to get some good growth on my quads AND I find that the racks pulls put extra strain on my back while it's still in recovery (doing the 3 day split).

I know i'm stepping outside the program slightly but could anyone offers any comments on following the squats with some 20 rep leg press instead of the hip dominant exercise? So it would be...

Squats- ramping to high 6 rep with cluster
    Leg press - 2 or 3 sets of 20 reps
    Calves - ramping to high 6 rep with cluster
    Biceps - ramping to high 6 rep with cluster
    Abs- ramping to high 6 rep with cluster

Really appreciate some honest feedback.

Not sure I've correctly understood your question. If you want to focus on something then focus on it and the above is a way of doing it, but keep in mind that by missing out a dlift variation you're missing out a fairly large amount of muscle mass for the sake of an extra training effect for your quads which will already have been stimulated.

Your call though.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Daniel, you understood correctly.

I just don't feel like my quads have had enough work after squats - maybe I just need to train harder! I am repping 85kg on my deep squat but 115kg on my full dead so thought I could bring up the squat a bit more with the extra quad work - I know it technically goes against the program, but worth asking anyway?

Also on the 3 day split I might do upper Mon, then lower Tues - do you ever feel the rack pulls put alot of pressure and stairn on your back while it is still recovering from Mondays workout?

Cheers.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Daniel just read your interview with DC, didn't realised you created the program - prob the wrong person to be asking if I should change it then haha

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Not sure I've correctly understood your question. If you want to focus on something then focus on it and the above is a way of doing it, but keep in mind that by missing out a dlift variation you're missing out a fairly large amount of muscle mass for the sake of an extra training effect for your quads which will already have been stimulated.

Your call though.

Ok last message - massive noob error for those of you reading. DO NOT replace hip dominant exercise with extra quad work - I did last week and got severe DOMS, could hardly walk up stairs hahaha. I'll be doing the regular program this week. thanks again Daniel

Banned
    Do an ABA like starting strength...that way sometimes you are only deadlifting once per week.

I vote for squatting twice a week
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal