The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Getting bigger thighs for football

Well, i'm 14 and play in high school. I am 5' 10 and 180 pounds. I had a good season, however as a fullback and a middle linebacker I was a little bit slow. I also have relatively small thighs, for next season I would like to get stronger, faster legs. I've been squatting a little bit but the bar on my back hurts so badly I can only do the exercise for so long. Any ideas for a good leg workout?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by nolanh View Post
    Well, i'm 14 and play in high school. I am 5' 10 and 180 pounds. I had a good season, however as a fullback and a middle linebacker I was a little bit slow. I also have relatively small thighs, for next season I would like to get stronger, faster legs. I've been squatting a little bit but the bar on my back hurts so badly I can only do the exercise for so long. Any ideas for a good leg workout?
    starting strength for 6 months. AS far as the bar hurting A) dont do a bunch of reps so its on your back for so long B) build your rear delts with barbell and dumbell rows C) grow a pair. IM not trying to discourage you or make fun of you when I was 14 the bar hurt but you have to get through it, if you plan on being big and strong someday your going to have to endure alot of blood sweat and tears (literally). once you build your rear delts up it wont hurt and you'll get used to it, like I said it hurt me when i first started at 14 now im 19 and ive had 550 pounds on my back.

Wannabebig Member
    Keep squatting. Eat more. It'll help you more in the long run.

Rows, deadlifts, heavy/loaded push ups. Put some meat on your bones and the bar won't hurt anymore. Also, make sure you're racking it in the right place on your shoulders. Too high and you'll mess with the spinous process of the C7 vertebra if I'm not mistaken (the bump behind your neck).

Try to place it on the 'ledge' below the 'bump' i know this does not sound scientific but squeeze it on with your arms, when i first put the bar lower on my back it felt as if it would fall off if i didnt grip it with my arms enough, that worked for me.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Do that voodoo that he do
    When you're back squatting bull up your upper back and squeeze the bar into it. Imagine that you're trying to bend the bar around your body. That'll help tighten everything up.

That, combined with more work at it and (as the previous poster suggested) growing a pair, will work. You're young in the gym, which is good, so just keep building.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Squatting will make your legs bigger, and that will make you a better football player when it comes to filling gaps, etc. ~ as so much of those hits come from lower body leverage.

That said, you're going to need to work on more than just squats to increase speed and quickness.

Here's an article describing the quickness drills the Pats do every day. Consider implementing this into you're offseason training.

http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/A..._Patriots.aspx
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."