The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

Question to everybody who trains strongman events

What have you found to increase your farmers the most? ( In 3 weeks I need to be able to do about 30 pounds more than my current PR. )

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i used to do all my lifts with thick bar, didn't matter whatever exercise it was.
    key is to strength & toughen the hands and grip
    if you can hold onto it, then the farmers walk is the easier part. of course move your feet as fast as you can!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    i used to do all my lifts with thick bar, didn't matter whatever exercise it was.
    key is to strength & toughen the hands and grip
    if you can hold onto it, then the farmers walk is the easier part. of course move your feet as fast as you can!
    But, I can hold it forever. I've got huge hands and a pretty strong grip. The problem is that my feet feel stuck to the ground.

You might try some low incline hill work with somewhat lighter weights Ox. Not sure if that would be the answer for you as I've never done limit work w. farmer's walk, but it might be worth a try.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You might try some low incline hill work with somewhat lighter weights Ox. Not sure if that would be the answer for you as I've never done limit work w. farmer's walk, but it might be worth a try.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    But, I can hold it forever. I've got huge hands and a pretty strong grip. The problem is that my feet feel stuck to the ground.
    Well, I guess I kind of take that back after today. We did 330 farmers, but the implements were COLD and hard to grip, BUT I didn't feel like my feet were stuck, I actually could walk with it! But my hands were so cold, my grip gave out. I'm happy, very happy. I think I should get the 340 at least 50 with a drop inside where it's warm.

Wannabebig Member GarageGorilla's Avatar
    For building up your grip strength, I always found farmer's power holds to work the best. You simply load up the implements to your max or beyond and then just grab 'em and stand up and hold them for time (I usually go for 30 sec or so, as usually the event doesn't last much longer than that). Some guys actually even use straps for one set after their hands are crushed, just to pound the rest of the muscles used even more. I never did that myself though.

As for walking and turning, the best way to get better at them is to just keep doing them. My farmer's were their strongest when I would walk a short course of only 25ft one way as then to get the whole 100ft I'd have to do multiple turns, giving me more practice with those as well as working the grip a bit harder.