The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Upcoming meet/ peaking for a meet

I have a meet coming up in a few months. Its my third full meet, 6th including push/pulls and my second im single ply gear. I wanted to layout my plans for it and get some feedback, especially what I should do the last two or three weeks leading up to the meet and the week of.

I plan to have a de bench, dead, me bench and squat day, and a back assitance day. On de day wave band tension for three weeks then doload, On Dead day max out with chains one week, bands the next, straight weight, deload and repeat. Bench do straight weight for reps one week, lots of chains the next, my shirt on the third, and deload the fourth. FOr squats reverse bands week 1, chains week 2, straight week 3, and deload the fourth.

The bench I've done before and it worked well for me. My shirt is a rage x that is super hard to get on, but I can touch 315 without wetting it or anything and also press 455, so I feel like I need to just get stronger rather than practice in it and stretch it out more. The squat and deadlifft is just progression of stuff I've done before. I'll be free squatting the whole time, and wearing a loose centurion throughout and a velocity for my deads.

I plan to run this plan for three months, hit my deload week 2 weeks out, hit my openers give or take and normal assistance stuff one week out, the week of super light squats on monday, bench on tuesday and rest the remainder of the week.

My last training cycle I got a lot stronger from but didn't PR at the meet and felt my strongest about three weeks out. I am really looking for advice on how the peak for the meet, and just listed the rest of my plans to get any additonal feedback.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    i dont know enuff about gear and all but good luck on a pr i have my first raw meet coming up in jan

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Starting at the meet and working back I like to hit something close to openers a week-10 days out, deload 2 weeks out, heavy bench 3 weeks out, heavy squat and dead are 4 weeks out, then just light, med, heavy, deload cycles before that. I stop doing any chains or bands 2 months out. Everything is straight weight and almost always in full gear ( briefs on light squat week). Between one and two months out ( maybe more after gassing out at my last 2 meets) I start squatting and pulling on the same day and at the same intensity ( both heavy, light, whatever) just to get used to it. My last month is Squat Bench and Deadlift on the same day. The other days of the week turn in to light raw or brief work and I keep my conditioning in there until the meet ( backing off one week out)..... I like to also get consistent with what I am eating before my heavy days so I know how much to expect to bloat and how many poops I'll have to take before I'm ready to lift....... really sucks to misjudge that one and realize your mistake after getting your suit on.

The big limitation here is that this is just what I like to do before a meet. It's how my coach and team taught me to set everything up. It has worked for all of them, and it works for me, but everyone is different and needs to figure out for themselves how their body needs to be treated to perform its best. This same set up might not be enough volume for some people, and it might be not enough rest for a really big lifter.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Are your training days:

DE bench
    ME bench
    ME deadlift
    ME squat
    DE squat

It sounds like you have 5 training days a week and that's the layout. That or you're running doing 3 straight weeks of deadlifts on ME day, then 3 straight weeks of squats on ME day.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

My training days are
    Mon- DE Bench
    Tue-Dead
    Thu-ME bench
    Fri-Squat
    Sat- Back

I've been doing this for a while, and did ME and DE days for squat and dead too but at this point feel like I can improve them more with their own day. The extra back day isn't very taxing but added because I couldnt devote enough attention after my benching stuff.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    wow.... my shoulders hurt just thinking about training with so few days off...... but hey, if it works for you....... I'm usually so fried after a heavy anything that I need a few days off.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Dr. Subtotal
    http://articles.elitefts.com/article...ce-of-peaking/ <-----Look up the other two articles on periodization, besides what is covered in Bompa's and Zatsiorsky's text.

The last three weeks are decent, considering if you prime yourself to supercompensate with enough volume and intensity through the prior weeks. Is this the same training cycle you did for your last meet, which didn't end up as you wanted?
    Maxing out on deads or dead variations three weeks in a row?
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...