The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100

    Cutting out fat/saturated fat

    And I feel like crap all of a sudden. All my reps went down, luckily I haven't gone down in weights. I mean I'm sick as hell of the loose fat that has been lingering all over my body and I've decided it's gone, period. So without messing with the calorie count of my diet which is still around 2200, I've cut out about 400-500% saturated fat from my weekly diet, and a lower amount of fat, maybe 200-300%. Unfortunately that included some protein bars but I was having trouble paying for 4-5 of them a week anyway, I just replaced them with another scoop of Nitrean on those days. The only fat I have left is like 2-3 or 3-4 servings of 2% milk a day and maybe some random meat meal, this week I'm eating ground sirloin burgers burnt to a crisp. So I'd guess I'm about at 50% fat and 70% saturated fat a day. I was obviously maintaining a normal fat covered muscle figure back when I was eating maybe more than twice the fat I do now so I don't know what to think of those daily allowance percentages but they work for quick quantitative counts well enough. So is it normal to feel weaker when cutting down the fat to where I might not even be getting what my body needs a day?...

    Codeguru

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,368
    Fat in the diet does not necesarily equal fat in the body. I would keep fats at at least 20% of your daily intake.

    I have no idea how you cut 400-500% saturated fat from your diet.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    That's from my weekly diet. I halved my milk servings per day, stopped eating protein bars and started using more Nitrean, and switched to a fat free deli meat as I eat sandwiches a LOT. And fat/saturated fat is about all that's left to try to get the rest of the fat off. I'm pretty sure my cardio is beyond what I need to control calories, and my daily calorie consumption is under control. And I just started doing this pretty much over the past weekend. Still getting 160g of protein a day. I'm hoping to see some results soon but like I said, I feel crappy when trying to lift. Or at least I can't lift quite as much as I could last week...

    Codeguru

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    Have you actually cut your calories as well? You need to keep some fat in your diet and not go into too drastic a calorie deficit or you will feel like crap. Excessive restriction of fat and saturated fat intake can also decrease testosterone levels in males, which will make you feel bad as well. If you just started this and you are already feeling significantly weaker, then you are cutting things way too drastically. You will often lose some strength as you lose weight, but it happens over a period of weeks or months, not a few days in.

  6. #5
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    Fat is an important nutrient.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Fat in foods is not the cause of fat in your body. If I were you, I would find a nice macro split and just reduce overall CALORIES. Another thing you can look into is nutrient timing. There are arguments for and against it, but I am going to try it right now anyway. The idea is to get most of your carbs in before and after training in 4-5 hour window...then maybe 1 more meal with a 1-1 protein-carb ratio. During the other meals is when you avoid carbs and go for your fat/protein combination meals.

    For me, this would be

    Breakfast and lunch, fat and protein meals

    Preworkout shake, heavy carbs, moderate protein (2/1 carb/protein)

    Postworkout shake, heavy carbs, moderate protein (2/1 carb/protein)

    Dinner, a normal meal with a normal macro breakdown.

    Pre-bed, protein only

    I am trying to follow this pretty closely for at least the next 4 weeks to see if it actually works. My goal is to maintain or even gain weight while shedding *some* fat and still increasing my lifts.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 10-19-2010 at 11:57 AM.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Have you actually cut your calories as well? You need to keep some fat in your diet and not go into too drastic a calorie deficit or you will feel like crap. Excessive restriction of fat and saturated fat intake can also decrease testosterone levels in males, which will make you feel bad as well. If you just started this and you are already feeling significantly weaker, then you are cutting things way too drastically. You will often lose some strength as you lose weight, but it happens over a period of weeks or months, not a few days in.
    Nope, still eating around 2200 calories like always. And I am keeping some fat in there but I'm cutting out the huge amounts of constant fat intake...

    Codeguru

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    552
    Fat does not equal fat gain. Youd most likely be better of taking out carbs.

    I see you eat a lot of bread (from the sandwiches presumably). Probably not the best idea, especially since you are getting only 160g of protein a day. Unless you are 100lbs thats nothing.

    What do your total macros look like?
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

    "Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Fat in foods is not the cause of fat in your body. If I were you, I would find a nice macro split and just reduce overall CALORIES. Another thing you can look into is nutrient timing. There are arguments for and against it, but I am going to try it right now anyway. The idea is to get most of your carbs in before and after training in 4-5 hour window...then maybe 1 more meal with a 1-1 protein-carb ratio. During the other meals is when you avoid carbs and go for your fat/protein combination meals.

    For me, this would be

    Breakfast and lunch, fat and protein meals

    Preworkout shake, heavy carbs, moderate protein (2/1 carb/protein)

    Postworkout shake, heavy carbs, moderate protein (2/1 carb/protein)

    Dinner, a normal meal with a normal macro breakdown.

    Pre-bed, protein only

    I am trying to follow this pretty closely for at least the next 4 weeks to see if it actually works. My goal is to maintain or even gain weight while shedding *some* fat and still increasing my lifts.
    What happens to the fat and saturated fat content when I cheat and eat half a pie? When I get 200 or 300% of the reccommeded daily saturated fat I should? Is that just excess "nutrients" that I pee out? Because that's the first time I've ever heard of fat not causing fat. I lost 60 lbs from burning off carbs and eating better, but I never kept an eye on my fat intake which apparently was my last mistake...

    Codeguru

    PS- I think I meant burning off calories.
    Last edited by Codeguru; 10-19-2010 at 02:24 PM.

  11. #10
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    What happens to the fat and saturated fat content when I cheat and eat half a pie? When I get 200 or 300% of the reccommeded daily saturated fat I should? Is that just excess "nutrients" that I pee out? Because that's the first time I've ever heard of fat not causing fat. I lost 60 lbs from burning off carbs and eating better, but I never kept an eye on my fat intake which apparently was my last mistake...

    Codeguru
    Excess energy from caloric intake causes fat gain, not just fat intake.

    Protein and carbohydrates can make you fat too.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ehopkins932 View Post
    Fat does not equal fat gain. Youd most likely be better of taking out carbs.

    I see you eat a lot of bread (from the sandwiches presumably). Probably not the best idea, especially since you are getting only 160g of protein a day. Unless you are 100lbs thats nothing.

    What do your total macros look like?
    I don't know what a macro is in this context. I've been told 1g of protein per 1 lb of lean mass, and since I'm still a bit fatty and I'm around 170lbs, I fudged it down to 160. And yes I eat sandwiches with Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Bread, which now that I look have 10g of carbs per slice, so that's 10g * 8 or 10 per day. According to normal daily amounts that means I only get a max of 30% carbs from bread. I can't think of anything else that I would eat that would give me so many carbs as to be a problem...

    Codeguru

  13. #12
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,368
    ^--Macro is short for macronutrient. The macronutrients are carbohydrates, protein and fat. ehopkins is asking how many of each you are eating per day.

  14. #13
    Quest for IFBB Pro Card The Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    56
    Fat also help with testosterone production as well. by cutting your fats that low, you could be comprimising testosterone production. I would increase your fats, by simply adding a couple table spoons of all natural peanut butter through out the day. Try that and see how you feel.
    Follow me on facebook http://tiny.cc/thespartan

    Todays preparation determines tomorrows achievement

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements AtLarge Nutrition sponsored Athlete

    My Journal - The Spartans Quest For IFBB Pro Card Journal

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Well it's weird because right now I'm doing my regular upper body free weight workout and I'm not slowing down a bit, I could almost go up in reps. I'm thinking I could easily go up to 100lbs on my one-arm row. I guess I'll just give this a week or so rather than just a weekend and see what happens...

    Codeguru
    Last edited by Codeguru; 10-19-2010 at 06:17 PM.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Well I've been keeping about the same fat amount for a while now and it looks like I'm actually making progress on my ab shape finally. Starting to see actual muscle creases, even if small right now, instead of just bulges. Also that layer of fat right below the pecks is starting to retreat. So, whatever the case, cutting out all that fat and saturated fat is what I needed. I tried to calculate the macronutrients but it's just too much. There's no way in hell I can be that precise with my daily diet. But at least I can keep track of my general calories and gram intakes and this seems to be the right mix. Also trying some pyramids and reverse pyramids for my bench pressing, they seem help as well with the tired feeling...

    Codeguru

  17. #16
    Skinny Feet Kiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    I tried to calculate the macronutrients but it's just too much. There's no way in hell I can be that precise with my daily diet.

    Codeguru
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com

    Punch in your meals in there it is by far the simplest one i have found, it also has a smartphone app. I do not know very much about diet but this will make everything easy to track.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

    A Westside journal.

    'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

    'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

    'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    216
    You need fat to live. You don't need carbs to live. Thats why alot of people do ketogenic diets when they can't lost fat. you eliminate the macro you don't need not the one you do.
    As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    You need fat to live. You don't need carbs to live. Thats why alot of people do ketogenic diets when they can't lost fat. you eliminate the macro you don't need not the one you do.
    It doesn't look like I'm even getting 100% daily value of carbs anyway. The only big shot of carbs I get is from the 3 cans of Sunkist I drink a week for a caffine boost and really for the carbs as well since I goto Tae Kwon Do afterwards. But yeah I am holding the fruit back a bit as to be sure I'm not overloading on carbs. The real issue was definately fat because even after cutting back so much I still get a decently large amount according to some of the macro calculators I looked at. A lot of them were suggesting 40-50g of fat with 160g of protein on a 2000 calorie diet and I was way WAY above, probably 80 or more since I wasn't keeping track...

    Codeguru

  20. #19
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    Well I've been keeping about the same fat amount for a while now and it looks like I'm actually making progress on my ab shape finally. Starting to see actual muscle creases, even if small right now, instead of just bulges. Also that layer of fat right below the pecks is starting to retreat. So, whatever the case, cutting out all that fat and saturated fat is what I needed. I tried to calculate the macronutrients but it's just too much. There's no way in hell I can be that precise with my daily diet. But at least I can keep track of my general calories and gram intakes and this seems to be the right mix. Also trying some pyramids and reverse pyramids for my bench pressing, they seem help as well with the tired feeling...

    Codeguru
    That's because there's 9 kcals per gram of fat. Reducing fat in your diet is going to reduce your total kcals by a large amount. Total kcals is the secret for fat loss. The best time to worry about carbs or whatever weird manipulations exist is when someone is already fairly lean and may have stubborn body fat to lose.

    And as others have said, fat does not make you fat. That's just absurd.

    For normal dieting purposes, one of the best ways is to simply have a protein and fat goal. Once those are met, actual calorie restrictions can come from carbs or anywhere else.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 11-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    It doesn't look like I'm even getting 100% daily value of carbs anyway. The only big shot of carbs I get is from the 3 cans of Sunkist I drink a week for a caffine boost and really for the carbs as well since I goto Tae Kwon Do afterwards. But yeah I am holding the fruit back a bit as to be sure I'm not overloading on carbs. The real issue was definately fat because even after cutting back so much I still get a decently large amount according to some of the macro calculators I looked at. A lot of them were suggesting 40-50g of fat with 160g of protein on a 2000 calorie diet and I was way WAY above, probably 80 or more since I wasn't keeping track...

    Codeguru
    Drinking soda before physical activity is a bad idea...great way for you energy levels to drop off mid way due to blood sugar. Replace the sunkist with something else...if you need caffeine then take some Pre-WO thing or straight caffeine pills. Even a sugarfree energy drink would be better.

    And it seems like you are going by "daily value" by what the RDA is...don't.

    Tracking your macros is just something you have to get used to. I dont like waking up before the sun is up to lift, but you just got to get it done.
    Last edited by ehopkins932; 11-04-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

    "Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    That's because there's 9 kcals per gram of fat. Reducing fat in your diet is going to reduce your total kcals by a large amount. Total kcals is the secret for fat loss. The best time to worry about carbs or whatever weird manipulations exist is when someone is already fairly lean and may have stubborn body fat to lose.

    And as others have said, fat does not make you fat. That's just absurd.

    For normal dieting purposes, one of the best ways is to simply have a protein and fat goal. Once those are met, actual calorie restrictions can come from carbs or anywhere else.
    I don't understand why people are being so stubborn about this. Fat DID make me fat. I've cut my intake in half and it's reducing the bulge in a way just eating sensibly and the same amount of exercise did not. And now that I'm over my cold and able to work out as normal, I'm seeing even better results. I almost have that nice line that's suppose to go down the middle of your stomach that separates the muscles. Everything I was doing just kept me maintaining at a dumpy state, I regulated my fat intake according to a few macro calculators, and that's what worked. The semantics of that are not something I'm going to argue about...

    Codeguru

  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ehopkins932 View Post
    Drinking soda before physical activity is a bad idea...great way for you energy levels to drop off mid way due to blood sugar. Replace the sunkist with something else...if you need caffeine then take some Pre-WO thing or straight caffeine pills. Even a sugarfree energy drink would be better.

    And it seems like you are going by "daily value" by what the RDA is...don't.

    Tracking your macros is just something you have to get used to. I dont like waking up before the sun is up to lift, but you just got to get it done.
    Yeah, again, money is always an issue. My big spend right now IS Nitrean, so you can see how things are there. A can of soda seems to work all around without throwing carbs too much out of whack, and they cost $.25 a can. I'm only sorry they seemed to stop selling Vault in stores, it had a nice amount of caffene for the same price...

    Codeguru

  24. #23
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    I don't understand why people are being so stubborn about this. Fat DID make me fat. I've cut my intake in half and it's reducing the bulge in a way just eating sensibly and the same amount of exercise did not. And now that I'm over my cold and able to work out as normal, I'm seeing even better results. I almost have that nice line that's suppose to go down the middle of your stomach that separates the muscles. Everything I was doing just kept me maintaining at a dumpy state, I regulated my fat intake according to a few macro calculators, and that's what worked. The semantics of that are not something I'm going to argue about...

    Codeguru
    I think you're being the stubborn one about this. Extra calories made you fat. Reducing your fat made you drop calories more than you realized, hence, whoa, all of a sudden you dropped fat. I mean, can you even tell me how fat made you fat? I'd love to hear how it violates thermodynamics and numerous scientific studies and basic biology. It's obvious you don't understand what you're talking about so if you want advice,you should listen to what we have to say instead of debating proven science.

    Otherwise, it sounds like you're on your way to a 6-pack and extreme level of leanness with your secret to fat loss that even violates science! Good luck with that and let me know how it works out for ya in the long run.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

    Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

    Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

  25. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Ok, ok, fine. I did neglect to look at one thing which is apparently bananas have a buttload of calories and carbs and I like to eat the biggest ones that I can find, and I was eating two a day. So maybe I'll eat medium size ones and one a day. So that's basically cutting out 200 calories and 51g of carbs a day assuming what I eat amounted to a cup full of banana and according to my test tonight it most likely does every time, that or more. It's too bad because I want to make sure to get a lot of potassium but at least I don't have to worry about fiber with all the whole grain bread...

    Codeguru

    PS- And for the record, you people conflict yourselves constantly when you practically scream "You need fat, You need fat" and then tell me to look at macro caculations. According to most of them I'm still eating way more fat than I should since I wasn't really even keeping track of saturated fat until now. There's no way in hell anyone could hope to cut too much fat out of their diet. Around 48g of fat is about the average I keep getting quoted by the different ratios for a 2200 calorie diet. I could down that at breakfast if I was even the least bit lax in what I eat.
    Last edited by Codeguru; 11-08-2010 at 01:45 AM.

  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    There's no actual contradiction regarding the fat content. You're only eating 19-20% of your calories as fat. Most would recommend something closer to 30% and even more than that if they are on a low carb diet. You also have to realize that most hard training males on this site can lose weight on significantly more than 2200 calories so it skews everyone's perspective as well. You're correct in that it's easy for the fat grams to add up if you make high fat food choices. Even with that it is possible to eat too little fat, which can lead to reproductive hormone problems in both men and women.
    The bottom line is you've found something that is working for you. Anyone who is losing weight has created a calorie deficit and you've figured out what it takes to do that for you so there's no point in arguing about it.

Similar Threads

  1. Saturated Fat
    By Logan in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
  2. saturated fat
    By frankm007 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 10:27 AM
  3. Saturated Fat makes you fat?
    By Deathwish in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 09:28 PM
  4. saturated fat
    By frankm007 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
  5. Saturated Fat and Cutting
    By Dedicated in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 12:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •