The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEW ARTICLE & FREE BCAA+: Best Bits & Review of the Metroflex Bodybuilding Seminar

Metroflex is known as a hardcore haven and one of the few truly hardcore gyms around.

They recently held a seminar with National Level Bodybuilder and Top Level Trainer Jeff Dwelle, National Level Bodybuilder and Record Holding Power Lifter Justin Harris, and National Level Competitor and Metroflex Plano Member Steve Kuclo.

These insightful champions share their size building and pre-contest fat-shredding secrets and we're lucky enough to bring you some of the best insights and gems of knowledge dropped!

READ HERE - The Best Bits & Review of the Metroflex Bodybuilding Seminar

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Though too brief (I could have read those commentaries for days) that was hands down the best article I've read on wbb to date. Magnificent insight that hit the nail on the head with every topic touched. I LOVE the very true comments on people worrying about overtraining. No doubt I will be purchasing that dvd.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Though too brief (I could have read those commentaries for days) that was hands down the best article I've read on wbb to date. Magnificent insight that hit the nail on the head with every topic touched. I LOVE the very true comments on people worrying about overtraining. No doubt I will be purchasing that dvd.
    Thanks for the kind compliment. While it may have seemed brief, the DVD was an hour long and I didn't want to transcribe the entire seminar, which would be a disservice to Greg. I want him to sell enough of these that he continues to offer up a couple more a year. This one was marked as Volume 1 which indicated to me that more seminar offerings are a strong possibility.

Yah!

By the way we're also running a competition on our Wannabebig Facebook Page, which we'll run here also (independent of the FB one so join both for twice the chance of winning!)

Let us know

1. your favorite quote

2. why it's your favorite quote

from this article and the top 3 we pick will win a BCAA+ (new product we launched yesterday).

GO!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. " - Michael Jordan

This is my favorite quote because it describes the recipe for success. Everyone, even the best, will fail at something in their life, but it is how we respond to that failure that will help us succeed. You can't fail at something and give up and walk away, you have to understand how you can learn from that outcome and make yourself a better person.
    BW: 165lbs
    Bench: 235
    Squat: ??
    Deadlift: ??

Personally I love this one:

“Every two hours when you eat you have a chance to make yourself a better bodybuilder or make yourself a worse bodybuilder.”

So true, every good meal you eat is just taking a step closer to your goals.

I literally agree with every single one so this is tough. The one that strikes me even more so than the others is --

Justin Harris: “There is a point of overtraining but the fact that people walk around worrying that they are going to work TOO HARD to get big is a bit absurd if you think about it. I think about other sports, ‘I could have been a great basketball player but I worked too hard…’ Over training is probably, on the list of things to worry about, towards the bottom.”

Overtraining is so hard to reach people have no idea. It's a cop out the weak like to use. It's an excuse for mental failure light years ahead of what usually is anywhere near the point of being too physical to make gains. I used to fear it in my early days.

I used to use (well still do actually) a small notebook and chart every set and reps I did in it. That's a good thing, it helps us chart progression and move forward. But it came as a bad thing when I stuck to that amount of sets for workout after workout after workout. During an outtage stint of 7 - 10's a week at a nuclear power plant I work at I started training right after work with a guy who was bigger than me. He didn't have the handy notebook I had and I pondered how in the world he ever progressed with no set routine, just going balls to the wall until he couldn't anymore. It was cutting season and I was in a deep cumulative calorie deficit. With the hours I was working and the food intake I was taking in I figured screw it, I'm not really going to make any great gains here might as well just buddy up with him and have some fun training for a month or two.

Fast forward that month or two and I'm having the most successful cut of my life. And I'd dieted probably 5 or 6 times before at that point. This was an eye opening experience. I realized I was nowhere near overtraining in my previous endeavors when my body could handle what I was dishing out in under these circumstances. Sometime after our job finished up and I was back to training solo I resumed logging in my little notebook. Except this time it was only for reference on what I had previously done, and in no way a road map for what I had to do (volume wise) next session. Since then I've continued to push this envelope with every workout thats gone by. I train in an instinctive style. I go in making sure I have plenty of time because I know damn well my workout might last an hour and fifteen minutes. Or I might have energy out the wazzoo, in which case I'm going to put it to good use and train for two and half hours if I can.

These days when I hear that "O" word it makes me scoff. Probably just as it does Justin. People don't know what overtraining is. People don't realize what the body is capable of. I have a belief that everyone should try to push themselves into overtaining at times. I think what they'll find is they have a hard time ever actually getting there if their mind is tough. And I think that's what Mr. Harris is saying here. At least thats what I took away from it.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 11-25-2010 at 09:13 AM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Overtraining is so hard to reach people have no idea. It's a cop out the weak like to use. It's an excuse for mental failure light years ahead of what usually is anywhere near the point of being too physical to make gains. I used to fear it in my early days.
    What if we replaced the term "Over-trained" with "Under-recovered?" Would you still feel the same way?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What if we replaced the term "Over-trained" with "Under-recovered?" Would you still feel the same way?
    Underecovered to me means you're hardcore in the gym but lack the discipline to match it outside the gym. People talk about sleeps importance all day in relation to bodybuilding, but in my experience few practice it. If I don't get enough sleep ill burnout in days. If one disiplines themself to get enough sleep (on top of sound nutrition) it will be night and day. I also wrote off supplements (outside of whey) for years and only in the last two-three delved into quite an array. Some are worthless, but I was a fool for writing others off at the same time. This view on overtraining is a little bit underground but I think its becoming a little more popular of a notion that overtraining is cop out more often than a reality.

I'd like to see a ton of people order this DVD, and not just because Metroflex-Plano owner Greg McCoy is a super nice guy. First off, its a great value. For ten bucks its hard to fit into anyone's buget (great stocking stuffer or a gift for someone you train with). Secondly, you get to hear some really profound advice from some of the smartest guys in the game. Thirdly (and most important in my eyes), the gym seminars that were once such a big thing twenty years ago are an phenomenal inspiration and learning experience that we need more of today. McCoy not only endeavours to do a few of these every year, this practically-at-cost DVD shows that he wants to share that info with people that are too far away to travel to the event.

You may say, "Well, it's his way of marketing his Metroflex Gym..." and that is true, but someone marketing their business through a generous sharing of knowledge geared towards the hardcore lifter is something I can easily rally behind. I hope Greg and other gym owner offer more seminars and DVDs like this one.

Ordered mine. Picked up a tank too.

Sounds like a great topic all by itself. When I have time I'll post one (or you can). We can have a good discussion about it, I have a slightly different veiw, so it should be interesting
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Does anybody else find the MetroFlex Gym logo disturbing and NSFW?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Does anybody else find the MetroFlex Gym logo disturbing and NSFW?
    ????

No....What's wrong with it? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    ????

No....What's wrong with it? Am I missing something?
    Picture a guy laying down doing a dumbbell bench press...

The "G" and the "M" are the soles of the feet ...and the "metr" and the "flex" are the toes...

and the top of the "Y" and the "O"...well, use your imagination.

You'll never look at it the same way again
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

House Lannister
    I get what you are saying kinda......but I pictured it as a guy OH pressing DBS...

I think you just have a sick mind......

We're picking the BCAA winners tomorrow by the way - sorry for the delay

Well only rdearmond573 replied (odd seeing as we had 3 to give away) with a favorite quote, so he wins a BCAA+!

Behemouth, did I send you some anyway before this contest? If not let me know and I'll chuck some to you too.

Congrats!

Daniel

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Well only rdearmond573 replied (odd seeing as we had 3 to give away) with a favorite quote, so he wins a BCAA+!

Behemouth, did I send you some anyway before this contest? If not let me know and I'll chuck some to you too.

Congrats!

Daniel
    Woah woah woah! This was supposed to be a FB contest?! I posted on the FB wall......

I is sad.

Edit: Clearly I didn't see the "dual competition" part of your post. Damn....My response anyways:

Jeff Dwelle: “Bodybuilding shows are not won on the day of the show. They are won in the months or the years leading up to that show in the time in the training in the gym and the getting your food with the consistency.”

This is something I ...try to keep in the back of my mind when I'm training. Although I bust my ass in the gym and push or pull as heavy of a weight with good form as possible each session, there have been times where it probably would have been better to wait on that 10 pound deadlift or squat increase in order to avoid the risk of injury. This is something I learned the hard way back in March when I injured my back while squatting. I couldn't squat for quite a while, and I'm just now getting back to my previous squatting strength. There's no way you'll be able to win a bodybuilding competition, meet your bulk weight goals, or lose weight without losing muscle if you can't train at a high intensity because you injured yourself trying to accomplish too much in one session.

Something else about this quote struck me as well. Diet is, without a doubt, MORE important than what type of training you do, whether it's putting on quality mass or losing bodyfat. You'll never get huge without huge amounts of protein-rich, quality food; and you'll never get ripped and muscular by employing a low protein cutting diet. I have a hard time putting on size. The only way I'm able to gain weight is by consistently getting in 4,000 calories a day. If I'm not consistent with this, I either stall in weight gain or actually lose weight. Consistency is the name of the game with bodybuilding and weight training in general. If you aren't consistent in diet or training, you'll never reach your goals.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 12-01-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Dang! Giving away free stuff without having to work for it? I'm suprised more people didn't take advantage of that.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

heh, ok seeing as you put in the effort, fire me your name and addy and a free bcaa+ is yours!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    heh, ok seeing as you put in the effort, fire me your name and addy and a free bcaa+ is yours!
    Are you serious?

Wow! This site really is kick*****.

I got my dvd about a week ago and just now was able to finish up watching it. The downfall is that it is too brief, you really only have maybe 7 or 8 questions that are answered (and the same guy asked about 4 or 5 of them). However the quality of the answers was top notch. I literally never agreed with any one person in my life on their views pertinent to lifting and bodybuilding, and here I have three answering questions that I'm saying to myself "exactly" every time. They knew the nitty gritty scientific explainations but their emphasis was basically don't worry about the nitty gritty, it's the whole picture...The grand scheme of things. I was particularly impressed with Justin Harris's answers and am an immediate fan. I'm going to youtube the hell out any other interviews these guys may have done.

I don't reccomend a lot, and if I do I am sincere. I fully reccomend this DVD for any lifter, but I think particularly for an intermediate lifter. Someone who knows basic lifting knowledge but may want to know how some of it applies realistically.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-09-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Justin is a very smart guy. As I understand it (second-hand info), he has stapped a bit away from his side career as a contest prep expert (right when his books and DVDs had made him reach the pinnacle of his career in that area) to pursue and advanced degree in (I believe) quantum physics. He is still training and staying big but he obviously has a lot more options than the average meathead. I think he would really stand out at a conference of science nerds. I sure they will all flinch as he passes, as they are conditioned to expect a guy his size to knock their books out of their hands in the hallways.

Jeff Dwelle is an extremely smart and articulate guy. I did a big interview with him that will appear in something I will be out with shortly.