The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Leg Press vs. Squat

I've been trying to figure out if I should do squats or leg press during my workout, or if I should just do both and alternate 'em a bit. From everything I've read it sounds like the squats are a major component to working out, not only for lower body but for muscle development in general, so that makes me think I should stick with those. But with the leg press I can lift more weight and isolate some major leg muscles instead of working everything at once. I do deadlifts and bench press so it isn't like I'm avoiding those major compound lifts, but I'd just like to know the pros and cons of leg press and squat and if it really matters.

Oh and the goal is explosiveness. As of now I'm sticking with squats because I've read a lot of articles that state how squats and other compound lifts are great for explosiveness. Tell me your thoughts.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Explosiveness in what? I'll assume your talking in your lower body. If so then squat, by far. Speed squats as well since explosiveness is your goal. I do both, with squat being the primary movement for leg development, speed, and strength. Leg press being the secondary or assistance of the two.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Explosiveness in what? I'll assume your talking in your lower body. If so then squat, by far. Speed squats as well since explosiveness is your goal. I do both, with squat being the primary movement for leg development, speed, and strength. Leg press being the secondary or assistance of the two.
    Yea just lower body in general for the explosiveness. Okay, thanks for the info! Do you do leg press and squats on the same day?

Yes. Squat first then leg press.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Banned
    squat heavy, leg press higher reps. Dont be the guy in the gym that leg presses like 1000 lbs, but cant squat his BW with good form...

Squats are pretty much better all around.. But if you are deadlifting a lot, then from a simplistic perspective you dont "need" to squat, and leg presses will work ok.

It really depends on how you deadlift and what your are trying to accomplish.

Your best bet is to spend most of your time with squats and deadlifts. Stay away from the leg press unless you have a specific reason for using them. And even though you are loading more weight on the leg press, you aren't lifting more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    squat heavy, leg press higher reps. Dont be the guy in the gym that leg presses like 1000 lbs, but cant squat his BW with good form...

Squats are pretty much better all around.. But if you are deadlifting a lot, then from a simplistic perspective you dont "need" to squat, and leg presses will work ok.

Your best bet is to spend most of your time with squats and deadlifts. Stay away from the leg press unless you have a specific reason for using them. And even though you are loading more weight on the leg press, you aren't lifting more weight.
    I'll keep that in mind. And I'm doing all the exercises with proper form, don't worry haha. Thanks for the advice.

Banned
    I wasn't implying that you weren't likely to do them with good form. Its just people have different leverages and different techniques that make the movements work different muscles respectively.

But if you are deadlifting a lot, then from a simplistic perspective you dont "need" to squat, and leg presses will work ok.
    I disagree. Posterior chain development is important for developing an explosive lower body. However, if you are training for optimal strength and power in the lower body you have/need to squat.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Banned
    Ya, I didn't word it correctly. I mean, it really depends on what your are training for. At very least, I think you need to be doing a squat OR a deadlift, but both are better.

Its one of those things. You should never be limited to just one or the other, so I dont know why people choose to do only one.

I guess if you didn't have a rack, but just had a bar, weights, and a leg press machine, then that would be the one occasion when it would make sense.

You have two options:

1) Squat and leg press

2) Squat

Both are fine.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Squats are King!
    Leg presses are assistants
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Definitely go with the squats, and make sure that you are squatting to full depth as well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Squats. to depth. Leg presses afterwards.
    the end.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with the general consensus here - squats are number 1 and for a change of pace leg presses can supplment every once in a while.

Another idea. One workout do squats and something like good mornings or rdls. Next one do deadlifts and leg presses. There are many options to choose from. Find what works for you, or if you are not sure, go the tried and tested method.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Another idea. One workout do squats and something like good mornings or rdls. Next one do deadlifts and leg presses.
    That would be the smart way to do it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Another idea. One workout do squats and something like good mornings or rdls. Next one do deadlifts and leg presses. There are many options to choose from. Find what works for you, or if you are not sure, go the tried and tested method.
    I'll definitely think about doing that...but I think I found something that'll work out fine. If I feel like it isn't working as well as I had planned then I'll probably switch to something like your suggestion. Thanks for the tip!

I'd go for heavy squats and then only a set or two of high reps leg press.If I had to choose only one it would be squats.They build strength and mass all over the body,not just the legs

Wannabebig New Member
    Squats are definitely my 1st choice. There's just something about standing up with a heavy weight on your back. For me leg presses have their place mainly as an assistance exercise; good for learning how to start your deadlifts by pushing your feet into the floor.