Thread: Vizualize bigger biceps

Vizualize bigger biceps

I do this sometimes with my lifts; I'll vizualize the weight being light, the form being perfect, and completing all the reps. I remember reading that Arnold used to vizualize his biceps turning into mountains, the muscle getting so pumped that it would fill the gym. I was wondering if any of you bodybuilder types used this type of vizualization and if you saw any benefit in it?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

On isolation type excercises that are easy to lose form and cheat on (curls, butterfly, etc...) yes... I've found that using lighter weight and really concentrating on it as you've described works very well. For instance... I can put 45's on a ez curl bar and rep out with pretty much no feeling in the bi's... but if I drop down to 25's, jam my elbows into my stomach and really concentrate on them I feel like they're going to explode. Which one is better? Who the hell knows. I mix it up because of that.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    On isolation type excercises that are easy to lose form and cheat on (curls, butterfly, etc...) yes... I've found that using lighter weight and really concentrating on it as you've described works very well. For instance... I can put 45's on a ez curl bar and rep out with pretty much no feeling in the bi's... but if I drop down to 25's, jam my elbows into my stomach and really concentrate on them I feel like they're going to explode. Which one is better? Who the hell knows. I mix it up because of that.
    I completely agree with this.

Edit: I also think that much of Arnold's training "methods" are complete ********* however. Visualizing only goes so far I feel. Although visualizing and mind-isolation may work on smaller exercises, a 400 pound squat is going to cause more stress to the system than a 300 pound squat, which leads me to believe that a 400 pound squat in which the trainee's only worry is whether or not he'll be able to squat the weight up will cause more hypertrophy than a 300 pound squat in which the trainee can FEELZ THY QUADZ BURNINGZ!

But that's just my inexperienced opinion.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 11-27-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Most of the visualizing that I do involves Erin Andrews...
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Okay...now I have to go google her...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    Most of the visualizing that I do involves Erin Andrews...

There are better visuals....

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    There are better visuals....
    Yeah, but you can see Erin live during sporting events just about every week.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

I thought I read something where you could grow bigger just thinking about it?

Well, I know that visualization can help me prepare for a lift...
    But, once I'm into the set, all I can visualize is setting that heavy crap down.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Lol...never works for me. The only thing that makes the weight feel light to me is if my form is locked in. Extreme nervousness helps sometimes too . Lately I have been getting nervous before a heavy lift because I am entering uncharted waters so to speak...I get so worked up that when I pull the weight out of the rack its not that bad .