The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282

    Dual-Factor Hypertrophy Training

    Anyone tried this program? It seems pretty interesting. I know Madcow recommends it as a potential follow-up to 5x5 training for those looking for greater muscle mass. I like the principles of the program also.

    Linky to write-up
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 11-27-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Better link added

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,938
    It looks like it has some good principles, ME and DE"s, I don't know if all the exercises are needed, the list could be shorter. I could see inexperienced lifters burning out fast with this type of program, setting maxes too high and not allowing for enough rest.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  4. #3
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    It looks like it has some good principles, ME and DE"s, I don't know if all the exercises are needed, the list could be shorter. I could see inexperienced lifters burning out fast with this type of program, setting maxes too high and not allowing for enough rest.
    Agreed.

    I don't know if it included in the write-up, but the author of the program has stated that the progra
    is NOT for new lifters. From what I've read, it's sort of like WSB but for bodybuilders.

    The volume is pretty high, but that's the idea. Fatigue is accumulated over four weeks, then a deload occurs, then you either restart the fatigue phase or go into an "intensity" phase of lower volume but high intensity in order to demonstrate your strength gained during the fatigue weeks.

  5. #4
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    I've talked about similar things in the past...as in doing a foundation routine and alternating specialization routines to work on weak points.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  6. #5
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've talked about similar things in the past...as in doing a foundation routine and alternating specialization routines to work on weak points.
    Ah I didn't see that mesocycle layout in the link.

    I was more curious on what people thought of the program's principles and if anyone had ran a cycle of it. That mesocycle was suggested by a member as a possible setup for the program--it isn't dogma.

  7. #6
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Ah I didn't see that mesocycle layout in the link.

    I was more curious on what people thought of the program's principles and if anyone had ran a cycle of it. That mesocycle was suggested by a member as a possible setup for the program--it isn't dogma.

    I really think the concepts in this are pretty basic. ME day, DE day, and a period of rest. A few of the power lifters on this site use routines similar to this, one example off the top of my head is westside (correct me if i'm wrong). I know Chris Mason did an interview with one of the radio stations and talked about some of it's applications.

    If you want to see the success of this type of training I would check out the journals of the power lifters. I know Travis Bell trains westside and keeps a journal here.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  8. #7
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    I really think the concepts in this are pretty basic. ME day, DE day, and a period of rest. A few of the power lifters on this site use routines similar to this, one example off the top of my head is westside (correct me if i'm wrong). I know Chris Mason did an interview with one of the radio stations and talked about some of it's applications.

    If you want to see the success of this type of training I would check out the journals of the power lifters. I know Travis Bell trains westside and keeps a journal here.
    Okay thanks for your input I'll take a look at Bell's journal.

  9. #8
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    OT: Dude Cards wtf you are JACKED in your profile pic! Are you bulking right now or something?

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins CO
    Posts
    1,829
    Its not the same program, but I'll be doing the Madcow Advanced 5x5 dual factor program after my Dec 5th meet. See my log if you are interested to check progress. Looking to use it to bulk to around 230 by march/april.

  11. #10
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Its not the same program, but I'll be doing the Madcow Advanced 5x5 dual factor program after my Dec 5th meet. See my log if you are interested to check progress. Looking to use it to bulk to around 230 by march/april.
    Thanks C!

    I have used the intermediate version of Madcow to give myself a strength base for more aesthetic training, so I'm looking at this program as my follow up to intermediate as it's more hypertrophy-focused.

Similar Threads

  1. Bill Starr's 5x5 dual factor or linear version?
    By brihead301 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
  2. Hypertrophy Training
    By FortifiedIron in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
  3. Dual factor training
    By anth15 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
  4. what do you think of this dual hypertrophy program?
    By TheReasonSF3 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:32 PM
  5. Power Factor Training
    By Dave042581 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2002, 03:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •