The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dips are king for chest

Think about this...

The weighted parallel bar dip works the exact same muscles as a bench press. But which one uses more weight? I can bench 300 lbs for 1 rep, while I can use over 300 lbs total weight for many reps in the bar dip. Same muscles, more weight, more reps...the dip rules!!!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Think about this...

The weighted parallel bar dip works the exact same muscles as a bench press. But which one uses more weight? I can bench 300 lbs for 1 rep, while I can use over 300 lbs total weight for many reps in the bar dip. Same muscles, more weight, more reps...the dip rules!!!
    I used to love dips for building my pressing strength / triceps / chest, although now they bother my elbows and shoulders.

Definitely a great upper body mass movement and good way to boost your bench press as well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I've read some opinions on using dips to build the bench. From what I remember, you'd want your dips to be somewhere around 100 lbs heavier than the bench you wanted to hit.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Don't forget that your combined weight on a dip (weight of your body plus the added weight) isn't exactly a precise weight like it is with a bench. On a dip, your arms ar e a static weight that you don't actually lift... unlike with a bench you are actually lifting your arms along with the weight.

For instance a 200lb guy who adds 100 lbs of weight to his dips isn't actually dipping 300 lbs... I'd say somewhere more in the range of 250 or less. But a guy benching 300 lbs is actually benching 300 lbs, PLUS the weight of his arms.

Something to think about.

PS... I love weighted dips. It's an ego booster for sure.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig Member
    I don't have a parallel bar for dips. So I do dips with my feet propped up on a chair wile holding myself up on a bench with weight in my lap.

Does this put a focus on different muscles versus a parallel bar or are they pretty much the same thing?
    Last edited by PhxdB; 11-22-2010 at 06:29 PM.

I love dips but they become uncomfortable around my collar bone/sternum once I start adding 100+ pounds. I do them in the 10-12 rep range and keep the bench press as my main chest exercise.

You are doing Bench Dips. That has more of a triceps focus.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I've read some opinions on using dips to build the bench. From what I remember, you'd want your dips to be somewhere around 100 lbs heavier than the bench you wanted to hit.
    I have been able to rep out 435lbs total on my dips and just recently maxed out on 365x1 for bench. Seems like a legit claim.
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Can't wait to add these back in once my arm allows me.

Just get under the bar!

I'm going to start doing these, they really seem like one of the best movements for chest, tris, and shoulders. And those are major weak points for me.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm a big fan of dips too. They get me more sore than anything else I do. I alternate sets of ring dips and bar dips. If you've never done ring dips, give 'em a try. Big time compound movement--requires all sorts of effort for stabilization, plus shoulders, triceps, and pecs for the up-and-down movement.

Banned
    I have yet to try dips yet. Seems dangerous for the shoulders? Do you guys limit the ROM?

Bench is much harder on the shoulders than the dip. I love weighted dips in the rings, since I don't have parallel bars at home. My old gym had a great parallel dip station, I miss that more than anything in that gym.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Think about this...

Squats vs leg press. Same muscles, more weight, more reps... but yet squats are stilll king. Dips are more comparable to a dc bench where rom is shortened being one of the reasons more weight is achievable. They're a good movement but I think overrated for chest development and underrated for tricep development.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Squats vs leg press. Same muscles, more weight, more reps... but yet squats are stilll king. Dips are more comparable to a dc bench where rom is shortened being one of the reasons more weight is achievable. They're a good movement but I think overrated for chest development and underrated for tricep development.
    The leg press doesn't work the same amount of muscle as the squat. They don't work the lower back, upper back, abs, and shoulders to nearly the same extent.

You are correct though, the dip is more similar to the decline bench, which does allow you to use a little more weight. But, the way the arms and shoulders move makes it a completely different movement, it really stretches the pecs and forces them to contract hard.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

The leg press doesn't work the same amount of muscle as the squat. They don't work the lower back, upper back, abs, and shoulders to nearly the same extent.

You are correct though, the dip is more similar to the decline bench, which does allow you to use a little more weight. But, the way the arms and shoulders move makes it a completely different movement, it really stretches the pecs and forces them to contract hard.
    Squats aren't king for leg development because they work the core (and upper back and shoulders is a stretch to say the least). The point was that while yes overload is thee most critical, its still not everything. And that just because an exercise simply allows more overload that makes it a better choice.

I know you didn't say that directly but it was somewhat implied. I'm simply presenting rationale from the other side to consider more points than overload. Yes I do agree dips are a good exercise to get in the mix.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    And that just because an exercise simply allows more overload that makes it a better choice. .
    You are correct, if overload was the only consideration, deadlifts would be the best leg exercise - Haha
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Dips are certainly a good exercise. I would not go so far as to say they are king for chest.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Dips are certainly a good exercise. I would not go so far as to say they are king for chest.
    A liitle dogmatic I guess...I just wanted to raise a few eyebrows
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Dips are like squatting for the upper body
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

For the weak hobbits among us they've certainly helped some.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles