Thread: Beginner looking to gain muscle mass.

Wannabebig Member

Beginner looking to gain muscle mass.

I'm 6' and 175 lbs. I would consider myself an ectomorph. I have been looking for a good workout/diet routine to gain muscle quickly. I have browsed the internet for different plans for meals and workouts. I have found a lot of good stuff, but it seems some of them contradict others.

What I'm looking for is a workout for a beginner like myself and a meal plan that is affordable for a college student. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wannabebig Member
    Most people are going to suggest SS and eat a lot. It is a great place to start.

Right, do SS because everyone here assumes a newbie is too much of a ****ing ****** to do anything else.

A little hint, DON'T do starting strength if your goal is to really get size and strength. If you want a totally explained and very effective program download this site's free HCT-12.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Right, do SS because everyone here assumes a newbie is too much of a ****ing ****** to do anything else.

A little hint, DON'T do starting strength if your goal is to really get size and strength. If you want a totally explained and very effective program download this site's free HCT-12.
    Haha, I'm willing to do any program. And thanks for the advice.

What have you found so far in your searches? What apealed to you and what didn't you like?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What have you found so far in your searches? What apealed to you and what didn't you like?
    Most of the workout programs emphasize high-weight/low-rep with a lot of compounds. It says to spend no more than 45 minutes at the gym, which is good for me since I go to school full-time and work two jobs.

The meal plans were confusing. I saw a lot about "clean" and "dirty" calories. Some said to eat a lot of fat-free stuff, some said stuff your face with burgers and fries. I'm also intrigued by the Gallon of Milk a Day (GOMAD) thing. I'd like to try that, but I've hated white milk since I was a kid. My stomach just seems to reject it. I wonder if I could do the same with chocolate milk?

Quote Originally Posted by g0r1ll@ View Post
    Most of the workout programs emphasize high-weight/low-rep with a lot of compounds. It says to spend no more than 45 minutes at the gym, which is good for me since I go to school full-time and work two jobs.
    Seems like you've been reading the right stuff. I don't want to add to your confusion, but I will offer you one more article to read. No matter what routine you choose to do, these principals will always hold true. You can judge your routine's worth according to this article. Read it and if you have more questions, ask away...

http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertroph...les-to-growth/
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Banned
    Getting enough food is more important than the actual program. If you pick a real program and don't **** with it (basically anything listed on this site), have adequate nutritition, and stick with it for a long time, you will make gains.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah it seems like you've been reading all the right stuff. Just on a personal note, I don't think that the "burgers and fries" approach is the way to go as far as nutrition goes. I believe that since a surplus of calories is the main goal for an ectomorph, the majority of them should be "clean" like lean protein (chicken, fish, etc), and fruits and veggies. Then, any calories you still need after that can come from the burgers, fries and things of that sort.

But...don't wanna get too deep into nutrition here. As far as the workout information goes, it seems like you're on the right track. Higher weight, lower reps with the focus on BIG compound lifts like the deadlift and squat.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Seems like you've been reading the right stuff. I don't want to add to your confusion, but I will offer you one more article to read. No matter what routine you choose to do, these principals will always hold true. You can judge your routine's worth according to this article. Read it and if you have more questions, ask away...

http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertroph...les-to-growth/
    Wow, that's a great article! Thank you guys for all the advice. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I will update my progress and upload pics of the results.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Getting enough food is more important than the actual program. If you pick a real program and don't **** with it (basically anything listed on this site), have adequate nutritition, and stick with it for a long time, you will make gains.
    parrot