Thread: Few hct-12 questions

Hybrid View

Few hct-12 questions

Ok: is it beneficial to switch a specific workout on a week by week basis? Example: week 1 I'll do bench press, but in week 2 substitute that for incline press. Another example being: week 1 doing back squats then switch to front squats the next week, since they both are in the same workout family described in the workout plan.

Last question being I'm a bit confused on the way your supposed to do each workout. Is it:
    2-3 sets of 1 rep(for feel)
    3 to 5 sets of 6 reps (hard working sets)
    then 2 sets of 2 reps of the last hard working set weight?

I believe it's written as a four week cycle with a deload week after four. That's when you'd change up your movements.

And everything is done in sets of 6 reps, not one.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch232 View Post
    I believe it's written as a four week cycle with a deload week after four. That's when you'd change up your movements.

And everything is done in sets of 6 reps, not one.
    Thank you!

Yes, don't be too structured about the sets/reps leading up to the final set. The important thing is to get warmed up and feel your way to your max set.

I am currently experimenting with rotating between two different movements. But I've just started so I can't remark on it yet.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Yes, don't be too structured about the sets/reps leading up to the final set. The important thing is to get warmed up and feel your way to your max set.

I am currently experimenting with rotating between two different movements. But I've just started so I can't remark on it yet.
    Ok thank you. I'm still fussed over the last 2 sets though. After I finish my last set of 6, let's say, 225 for bench. Do I just do 2 sets of 2 reps like 235 , then 245?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Ok thank you. I'm still fussed over the last 2 sets though. After I finish my last set of 6, let's say, 225 for bench. Do I just do 2 sets of 2 reps like 235 , then 245?
    No. If 225 is your top set of 6, then you do three sets of two with the same weight, 30 seconds rest between sets.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

No. If 225 is your top set of 6, then you do three sets of two with the same weight, 30 seconds rest between sets.
    Thank you so much I truely appreciate it. Last thing, personaly, do you believe this program overall has great muscle building results, or are their some other programs you think are worth more?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Thank you so much I truely appreciate it. Last thing, personaly, do you believe this program overall has great muscle building results, or are their some other programs you think are worth more?
    At the end of the day there are several proven routines out there to help you pack on mass. I'd stop worrying about which one is the best and just start and stick with HCT-12. If you read all of the HCT-12 articles, Daniel Roberts actually does a good job of explaining the key principles to gaining muscle and you'll see that they are the backbone of HCT-12.

If you are trainnig for looks and want to pack on muscle, HCT-12 is what you want to get on and stay on.

Oh and do yourself a favor and grab the HCT-12 supplement stack as you'll save a decent amount and also get access to supplements that'll help you get to where you want quicker.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 12-03-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I think HCT-12 has fantastic potential to add both strength and muscle. There are a bunch of guys keeping journals here that have made remarkable progress in both strength and size. The important thing is to read all the HCT-12 articles (there's a link at the top of the site) and understand them completely, the science, nutriton, and routine all play an important part in the productivity of the system. Read the articles, start the routine, and ask any questions you have...we are happy to help.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Hi mate,

I have found that you will get the most out of your workouts if you stick with the movements all the while you are making progress. OffRoad is a special case with a lot of lifting experience and I am not saying swapping them around is wrong but I would say it may be an idea to get used to the set-up of this program before you alter too many things.

Also you will get the most out of your growth and muscle size if you keep the clusters;

A)30seconds ish apart
    B)Keep good form
    C)Don't skip them

Daniel explains the science behind the clusters perfectly in his articles so I wont go into it but the clusters are the money maker in this program, not the ramping sets or how heavy your last set of 6 is.

Hope this helps mate. I can only speak from my own experiences with the Program, check out Xitan's journal he has been on the program for almost a year I believe!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Hi mate,

A)30seconds ish apart
    B)Keep good form
    C)Don't skip them

Daniel explains the science behind the clusters perfectly in his articles so I wont go into it but the clusters are the money maker in this program, not the ramping sets or how heavy your last set of 6 is.

Hope this helps mate. I can only speak from my own experiences with the Program, check out Xitan's journal he has been on the program for almost a year I believe!
    thanks mate the small tips/recommendations are always a big help!

Banned
    Do you always do a 6RM plus 3 clusters for *every* movement? I see how it can work for the big compound lifts, but it also mentions adding calf, bicep, and tricep movements as well. Do you do these with the same rep structure? What about risky movements like good mornings? I really like that movement, but I am not sure how I feel doing a 6RM with them.

Yes, I do a 6RM plus the clusters with every movement, except calves which I think like higher reps. I haven't done a lot of goodmornings, but I have used it for pull-throughs and stiff leg deadlifts. However, I think there is room for individuality within the routine for guys that know how to adjust things.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I forgot to ask: when working with the reps of six, should I be striving to do up to six sets? Or is anywhere between 3-5 acceptable?

Are you talking about the sets leading up to the final set which is 6+2+2+2?

If you are, the number of sets leading to that final work set is really up to you and I wouldn't worry too much about the total number. The key is to get a bit of volume through you but to not work too intensively on them as they are not true work sets. 3 is on the low end if you ask me - 4-5 sounds optimal.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post

If you are, the number of sets leading to that final work set is really up to you and I wouldn't worry too much about the total number. The key is to get a bit of volume through you but to not work too intensively on them as they are not true work sets. 3 is on the low end if you ask me - 4-5 sounds optimal.
    You hit it on the spot, thanks Daniel. Thanks for the continued support also off road.

I agree with you Daniel, 4 or 5 or even 6 (for the big lifts) warmup sets are good for the first lift. Lifts that follow and use basically the same muscles can get away with using just 3 warmup or "ramping" sets.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post

I agree with you Daniel, 4 or 5 or even 6 (for the big lifts) warmup sets are good for the first lift. Lifts that follow and use basically the same muscles can get away with using just 3 warmup or "ramping" sets.

For bench, if its 295 for that day I will do something like this.

warmup with lighter weights by feel then
    235x6
    245x1
    255x1
    265x6, pretty warmed up at this point so I only need 1 more single until working set
    285x1
    working set, 295x6

On certain movements, I can't just jump 30-40 pounds.

I like to make ~20 lb jumps for the smaller lifts and ~50 lb jumps for the bigger lifts

My warmup for bench usually looks like:

135 x 6
    155 x 6
    185 x 6
    205 x 5
    225 x 3
    ~245 x 6 +2 +2 +2

But I have a decent idea of where my lift will be that day as I warmup and I can make adjustments to that as I progress upward. If you are newer, you'd probably want to make smaller jumps to be able to feel your way to the top set.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal