Thread: Squat help

Squat help

I am trying to get my raw strength up a little before I get into my meet prep and put my suit back on. Heres a video of my 3 week on 531. THis is my third cycle and I got 7 reps on the top set when I was supposed to get 3. They "felt" deep enough but the video doesnt lie and most were high. If there is any critiques you guys could give me I'd really appreciate it. I'm pretty far out from my next meet so I have time to work on any problems. THanks.

Banned
    Where's the video?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rev198

Dont I feel stupid.
    Its currently the first video on there, "nate king 3s week..."
    This is my friends youtube page who is sponsored by universal, he has some really great deadlifting stuff on there, but for the sake of this just look at my squatting one. THanks, and sorry for not including the video, how retarted.

Banned
    The only thing I can add is that I truly believe in box squatting for enforcing depth. I squat 99% of the time with a box. And the when I remove the box, I dont have any problems.

I dont do box squats like most do though. For DE squats I DO actually sit on the box, but anything heavier, I just use the box to enforce depth. I dont bounce off it, or sit on it, just put enough pressure on it to feel the box.

Maybe on your next cycle use a box that puts you a bit below parallel. Also, I dont like watching my video during the workout, but you could do your warm-ups with a box, and then remove the box, and check the video to see if the depth is still there.

If you are used to squatting in gear then this just happens. Gear supports you in the hole at the bottom of a squat and now you don't have it. It can make hitting depth raw difficult.

I think you could stand to open the hips up some and really keep your chest up, but the best solution may be to back your training max down some and just plain make yourself squat lower. It sounds like you have a training partner, so have him call your depth on each rep.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I agree with Adam, back your training max down some and focus on hitting depth. Also focus on keeping your chest up, it looks to me that your head and chest were down. You also might need to open your stance a little.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

What do you guys suggest to improve my hips flexibility to fix this? My hips are the one area that is very uncomfertable to stretch, and squatting with a much wider stance is very uncomfertable raw. I have some good books by Pavel but what could I do specifically for this problem? THanks for all the input and it is dead on.

Banned
    Im not a big fan of stretching or even mobility work for that matter. Unless you have a specific problem that needs addressing, i'd leave well enough alone.

Instead I prefer to just warm-up properly and then develop the required flexibility through the actual movement (squatting)

I still like the box squatting for this. If you cant initially use a box that puts you at or below parallel, then start a bit above, and work your way down over the course of a few workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by kingns View Post
    What do you guys suggest to improve my hips flexibility to fix this? My hips are the one area that is very uncomfertable to stretch, and squatting with a much wider stance is very uncomfertable raw. I have some good books by Pavel but what could I do specifically for this problem? THanks for all the input and it is dead on.
    A general dynamic warmup is what I would suggest. I"m sure you can find one outlined on EFS or on here somewhere. It shouldn't take but about 10 minutes. I also foam roll and use a pvc roller on my glutes and IT bands and that has helped.

I think Brian was suggesting that you open your stance, not widen it. I may be wrong, but I think he is suggesting to have your feet at more of an angle so that you can open your knees out and keep them from tracking over the toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Im not a big fan of stretching or even mobility work for that matter. Unless you have a specific problem that needs addressing, i'd leave well enough alone.

Instead I prefer to just warm-up properly and then develop the required flexibility through the actual movement (squatting)

I still like the box squatting for this. If you cant initially use a box that puts you at or below parallel, then start a bit above, and work your way down over the course of a few workouts.
    I used to have the same attitude and I proved myselft wrong with injuries to my hip and back. I will not get under a squat bar without doing my dynamic warmup, glute activation exercises, and stretching/rolling. This takes me about 20 minutes.

By the time I get under the bar I only need a few sets to start my work sets.

I'm not trying to be a prick, just passing on something I learned the hard way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    I used to have the same attitude and I proved myselft wrong with injuries to my hip and back. I will not get under a squat bar without doing my dynamic warmup, glute activation exercises, and stretching/rolling. This takes me about 20 minutes.

By the time I get under the bar I only need a few sets to start my work sets.

I'm not trying to be a prick, just passing on something I learned the hard way.
    No problems Adam.... My warm-up does include a lot of dynamic movements, but thats about it. Maybe Im just lucky and loosen up pretty quickly.

Today is my squat day so I'll try to use what everyone has suggested. As far as warmups go I do Joe Defrancos Agile 8, and I foam roll a lot at home but not befroe I work out. Ill try pointing my toes out and widening my stance a little. The flexibility IN the squat will probly just take some time. THanks everyone