The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

grip strength for deadlift

For pulls I use left hand over and right hand under. I notice the bar slips away on the over hand (left) when I'm pulling at 90%+ effort. I want to see what's a good approach to this other than farmers walk with DB's and pulling using double over-hand as I have consider those two lifts. I only use straps on chin-ups/lat pull downs and that is just sometimes. I do use chalk. I do DB hammer curls for biceps on a weekly basis.
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 12-02-2010 at 04:13 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

dont ever use straps until you're nailing ME deads without issues every time, and use a thumbless grip whenever possible, I also go thumbless on pulldowns, low cable rows, and even double overhand deads up to the mid 300s..

I used to use straps for lat stuff because my grip would hold me back from the exercise I was focusing on, but at the same time I was dropping my 500lb pulls due to grip issues so I threw out the straps. Now I've got no issues at all pulling mid 6s (same way as you, left over/right under). Now that my grip is built up to where I need it, I'll use straps on cleans, high pulls, snatches, RDLs, bent over rows and rack pulls, give or take a couple more, just depends on how much effort I want to put into holding something vs how much effort I want to put into what's actually being worked. If I come across a ME pull I can't hold, I'll stop using the straps again and focus, but for the most part I haven't had any issues in well over a year..

one thing really helped me was static holds after my last set of deads. I'll hold the bar at the top for as long as possible on my last set. There's a video of KK hitting a 7+ deficit deadlift and then holding it for 18-20 seconds at the top, I try to mimic that. Right before I feel my grip giving out, I'll set it down. Plate pinches also help but I didn't see a huge carryover from them, or farmers walks, but that's just me. I also pull double overhand until my grip fails (upper 400s), then I'll switch to a mixed grip and then add chalk when I get to the mid 5s.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    For pulls I use left hand over and right hand under. I notice the bar slips away on the over hand (left) when I'm pulling at 90%+ effort. I want to see what's a good approach to this other than farmers walk with DB's and pulling using double over-hand as I have consider those two lifts. I only use straps on chin-ups/lat pull downs and that is just sometimes. I do use chalk. I do DB hammer curls for biceps on a weekly basis.
    Jake provided some good advice.

Here are exercises that I would include:

- Deadlift holds (mixed grip or double-overhand)
    - Timed hang (pull-up bar or revolving bar)
    - Dumbbell Hold or Farmers Walk

How you chalk your hands and how you grip the bar can also make a difference; and an alternative would be to learn to hook grip.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Best advice is throwing your straps out. I would try things like rack pulls against quad mini's, hex dumbbell holds, shrugs without straps, and there are some pretty cool grip tools out there if you're willing to pay a little bit. I've also heard of some people putting rice in a 5 gallon bucket and doing rice digs with their hands.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Don't use straps if you have grip issues. I think that doing pullups and chins w/o straps can really help build the deadlift grip w/o overly taxing your body.

Something else that is forgotten is to do deadlifts for reps. That way you build your grip performing the exercise where it fails you. Also try doing some sets where you swap your over/under hands to work your deadlift grip in a different way.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Jake provided some good advice.
    How you chalk your hands and how you grip the bar can also make a difference; and an alternative would be to learn to hook grip.
    this is a really good point too.. how do you hold the bar in your hands?

I chalk the **** out of my hands, there is almost no visible skin that isn't white, lol...

When I setup my right hand (which I actually setup second but it's easier to explain first) I bend my wrist as far forward as it will possibly go and place the bar as close to the base of my thumb as possible so that when I pull up, my wrists drop down and the bar falls into that "sweet spot" is surrounded by the gushy part of your hands that will rip the F off if you don't keep it callus free, haha.. you like my technical terms? For the left hand I do the exact same, except I approach it from an overhand position. When you start pulling, your wrists loosen up and the bar feels very secure. I don't even have to focus on squeezing the bar once it falls in that sweet spit, I'm just in for the ride at that point.. hope that makes sense, I'm sure i can get a photo if you really need it. I suppose this may be an elementary point, but you never know where people are with their training.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Something else that is forgotten is to do deadlifts for reps. That way you build your grip performing the exercise where it fails you.
    This! Ive had a huge increase in grip strength since I started training deadlifts in a higher rep range (minimum 5).

Can't speak from personal experience, but I also heard kroc rows are good for grip.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Is this during sumo pulls or all pulls? I was losing the bar on my heavy sumo pulls from having my overhand open up on me. I don't have this issue with conventional pulls. I think it is from your overhand rubbing up against your quad and/or suit/singlet/shorts.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

I rarely pull conventional but if I do, its with bands for speed work. I haven't did any ME pulls conventional stance in years so I really don't know. My partner tells me the bar starts to slip the movement it lifts 3-4" off the ground and thats before my hands rub my thigh. Chalk...I put some on the bar, rub my hands on the block and clap the excessive off.
    I'll ditch the straps and hold my last rep for couple seconds here on. As far as higher reps, will doing a "down set" of 8-12 of say 70% 1RM be good idea (using double overhand or opposite grips)? And when I think about it, I train at 24 hour fitness...their barbells are whack.

DL grip strength is a pretty easy concept. We have 1person who DLs over 8, 1 over 750, 2 over 7, and
    3 people over 650, all but the 8 and 750 raw. No one EVER drops a bar.

1 - NEVER use straps
    2 - Pull in the rack (free, bands, chains, doesn't matter) to overload every other week with a 55lb
    squat bar (fatter).
    3 - in addition to your hands, chalk liberally in between your fingers where they touch on the sides.
    At the margin of grip strength, the chalk will prevent your fingers from "shearing" apart, which
    is the first thing to happen if you lose it.

That's it. No pussy wrist curls, no circus trick captains of crush or plate grip tricks, etc.

DL requires static holding strength. You increase that by statically holding something FATTER than
    normal. 55lb squat bar is your friend.
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Is this during sumo pulls or all pulls? I was losing the bar on my heavy sumo pulls from having my overhand open up on me. I don't have this issue with conventional pulls. I think it is from your overhand rubbing up against your quad and/or suit/singlet/shorts.
    This is worth mentioning I think. I had the same problem. I think it was Rich that told me simply to just move my hands out a little bit. No problems now
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    And when I think about it, I train at 24 hour fitness...their barbells are whack.
    This is huge too. If the bar really sucks, it can make a huge difference. In a competition you will either have a good power bar or a deadlift bar and I would think there would be no issues. I still think you should listen to the suggestions above though.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Hex holds.

Pulls against band tension.

Pulling for reps.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

thanks for the info as always guys. I did my meet today and sure enough, I was able to hold 501lb comfortably. Unfortunately the lift didn't count cause I dropped the bar.

Video

video doesnt seem to work at the moment: direct link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFFKffltu7U
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 12-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Pulling for reps is IMO going to help you most!

Nice pull!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Banned
    I had the same issue yesterday too! I missed an easy looking 557 pull because of my grip.
    Video

I'm kind of wanting to switch to hook grip. I have a crossfit buddy who swears by it and I've heard people who use it never have an issue dropping weights once mastering the grip..

My question is...For people who use hook grip on a regular basis, how long did it take for your thumbs to get used to the grip?
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 12-06-2010 at 07:27 AM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Reverse band deadlifts.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB