The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Knees caving in problem on 2 ply suit

Hey guys I have just recently purchased a 2 ply overkill squat suit and am having a very hard time stopping the knees from caving in while squatting. My previous suit before this was an old inzer 2 ply hardcore. I am busting a nut trying to keep those damned knees from caving in but they still do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The legs could be too long and too tight around the openings. How are they?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

2 things... the legs could be too long or they could be too tight...or you just need to focus on speeding your feet apart

I agree with Scott and Rich.

Try rolling the legs up 1-2" or pull the outside of the leg up some to let you spread your knees.

Chances are that going from a Hardcore to a 2-ply overkill is a pretty big change and you aren't used to squatting in a suit like that.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    2 things... the legs could be too long or they could be too tight...or you just need to focus on speeding your feet apart
    Agreed. My stuff fits a little bit loose in the legs and I have no problems keeping my knees out
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply guys, yeah I tried rolling them up but only by about 1 inch, the suit obviously needs more, when I ordered it I set the measurement for the the upper thigh a little bit more bigger then my quad measurent by about 1/2 inch so the legs have a little room. I tried on a stock pair of metal ace briefs size 52 and could not get the damned legs through it lol.

Il just keep squatting in it and roll it up another inch or so.

I have also brought my stance in a bit and this seems to have helped

You may want to take some length off the legs, I would not take your stance in.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Mine sags a little so if I don't pull the legs up before I squat my knees will come in too...... just make sure that the suit is as far up as you can get it. It also helps to pull up on the outside of the legs ( I pull around the top of the leg in front of the hips... hard to describe)

THen just spend as much time as you can in the suit..... it just takes a lot of practice.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Like others have said, make sure the suit is all the way up. Also, you may want to try pointing your toes out a little bit further and playing around with different width stances.

Reverse band work also helps work on this as the weight is lighter in the hole so you can focus on driving your knees out and sitting back.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Do more adductor abductor work for your hips. I wear preds and have the legs so tight they block the proper blood flow to my legs. My levi is very snug in the legs. Not tight yet. When my hips get stronger I'll tighten the legs on it. If your gear is loose you're loosing pounds on your total. Loosen the sleevs on your shirt and see what happens.
    Last edited by SoCoBarbell; 12-02-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    My next ME squat day is on Sunday il see how it goes. It seems to get worse the wider I go, thats why im going to bring in the feet a bit more and also turn the them more out.

Cheers guys

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    Or he doesn't have the suit pulled up for enough. Do you use leg slippers when you put it on?

Edited: Opps, I just saw somebody else said the same thing.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCoBarbell View Post
    Do more adductor abductor work for your hips. I wear preds and have the legs so tight they block the proper blood flow to my legs. My levi is very snug in the legs. Not tight yet. When my hips get stronger I'll tighten the legs on it. If your gear is loose you're loosing pounds on your total. Loosen the sleevs on your shirt and see what happens.
    My preds are a little big in the legs, but I feel like thats one of the reasons I have such an easy time keeping my knees out. Same thing with the Leviathan. The hips are pretty snug though. Honestly, I don't think I'd be strong enough if legs were real tight in the briefs and suit. I know you squat quite a bit more than I do though
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Lones, with a >700lbs squat I doubt you would have much issue getting depth in any realistic gear combo.

Its just like a bench shirt, getting depth is just a matter of technique, decent speed and confidence. I don't think ive ever need more than about 400 or 500lbs to hit depth.. and I get a good 300lbs out of my squat gear.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    My preds are a little big in the legs, but I feel like thats one of the reasons I have such an easy time keeping my knees out. Same thing with the Leviathan. The hips are pretty snug though. Honestly, I don't think I'd be strong enough if legs were real tight in the briefs and suit. I know you squat quite a bit more than I do though
    I barely squat more than you Bro. If I loosened the legs on my gear I would loose half of the pop. Honestly I've only squated a total of 6 times in my Levi ever. My Preds the first thing I did was have the flare in the legs taken out so they were tight as hell.

The only thing I have going for me is I GOT flexible and worked the ***** out of my hips so I could be strong enough to force my knees out against the gear.

I'm going through the same ***** with my bench right now. I don't have the upper back strength to pull down a jacked shirt. So before squat and deadlift days I do upper back work for about a half hour before I start the other ***** for that day.

Not long ago I was looking up at your #s Bro!

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Lones, with a >700lbs squat I doubt you would have much issue getting depth in any realistic gear combo.

Its just like a bench shirt, getting depth is just a matter of technique, decent speed and confidence. I don't think ive ever need more than about 400 or 500lbs to hit depth.. and I get a good 300lbs out of my squat gear.
    +1 for that.....

I get 300+ out of the same gear I used back in 2009 for AWPC worlds..... first meet in the gear and I was just coming back from an injury so I opened at something like 660 with the straps barely on

I've filled out a bit now, but I can still get down with anything over 700 in my full gear ( Overkill 3-ply briefs and 3-ply canvas hybrid)

It's just a matter of holding form and sitting in to the suit...... all that resistance is where you'll get the carryover from.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

If you have Rudy's "standard cut" 2 ply and squat wide, what you are feeling is normal for a new
    suit from him. The "standard cut" is designed not so flared leg, so the suit engages earlier in the decent.
    You have to really push you knees out HARD, but after the suit is broken in you will be rewarded with
    a much longer carry over distance out of the hole on the way up.

Just keep working with it. The material is amazing....it breaks in without losing it's pop. I had my suit
    for about 3 months before I thought it was broken in well, and have had it for almost a year now, still
    good as new.
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

Wannabebig Member
    Well had another ME squat seesion today and its a hell of allot better with the outer leggings pulled up a bit. I nailed 640 fairly easily today with straps down off the box and the knees where a hell of allot better then last week, I even moved my stance back out. Had a bit of a scare on 1 set when I thought i was going to black out from head pressure. Other then that thanks to the above suggestions its going great.

My 1st comp is in may next year so things are looking up