Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is how you run a gym

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    The first year of starting my training business I worked at walmart and the night shift at home depot. I saved up my walmart and home depot money and invested them into my business. I've been %100 self employed for almost a year now

Right now I pay a gym rent. Next is the big leap into opening my own place.
    Sorry mate I did not realise you had made a year already well done!

Did not mean to offend you sounds like your doing great and good luck!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

I own one. Works great for me.

Not nearly as fancy as the one in the video, but I like it that way. 9 times out of 10 the kind of overhead created by those high priced facilities causes gyms to change their focus. Plus I never intend on being a commercial gym

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I own one. Works great for me.

Not nearly as fancy as the one in the video, but I like it that way. 9 times out of 10 the kind of overhead created by those high priced facilities causes gyms to change their focus. Plus I never intend on being a commercial gym
    I was hoping you'd chime in Travis. Isn't your studio purely an athletic strength & conditioning facility?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I've been wanting to open up my own studio/small gym similar to DeFranco's.

I currently run my personal training business out of a private studio that I pay rent to. It has everything I need, but definitely not everything I want.

I've run the numbers a bit and to get the basic starting equipment, it would run about 5-8,000 and then a facility with the square footage I'd like would probably be 2-3,000 a month.

I am terrified of commitment though, and this would be a big one.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    I've been wanting to open up my own studio/small gym similar to DeFranco's.

I currently run my personal training business out of a private studio that I pay rent to. It has everything I need, but definitely not everything I want.

I've run the numbers a bit and to get the basic starting equipment, it would run about 5-8,000 and then a facility with the square footage I'd like would probably be 2-3,000 a month.

I am terrified of commitment though, and this would be a big one.
    Wow, excellent start up cost for you. I'm looking more around 20-30k. I have it all saved up but its just such a big leap and honestly a little bit scary too.

How much square footage have you been looking at? I've been looking at around 2,000.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I would want something like this. Just different equipment for sure and less crowded. A strip of turf field is a must for me for the prowler and sled.

My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Probably around 2,000

I'd have pretty basic equipment...

power Racks
    Benches
    Bumper plates
    DBs
    Platform
    KB's
    Sandbags
    Sled
    Pull up/dip station
    tires
    maybe one universal cable machine setup/functional trainer

probably get everything used or from rogue fitness equipment.

http://www.roguefitness.com/cgi-bin/...att_McLaughlin

check out their packages, not a bad deal.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 12-07-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I was hoping you'd chime in Travis. Isn't your studio purely an athletic strength & conditioning facility?
    90% of my clients are yes

I have a small group of powerlifters and another small group of fitness clients. 0 debt at all.

I own every piece of equipment and my rent is easily covered every month with a couple clients.

The biggest factor that will draw people into your facility if you're looking to train, is results. It'll take you a good while to get the word of mouth working for you.

Owning your own place really is more complicated than you'd think. Detard from this board interned out of my gym this past summer and that was one part of my program is we go over how to start your own facility, what concerns you have to be aware of (insurance, land lord concerns, utilities that fit a gym, sanitation etc) It's never as simple as just buying a bunch of stuff.

Fancy, high dollar places usually draw that type of client. I've worked with lots of people like that and have no desire to do so again. My gym is gritty, simple but super clean (cant have people getting sick). If people are comming down to my gym looking for towels and a spa, they had better just keep driving. We are there for one reason only, to become better at our sport. We are loud, listen to nasty music, throw chalk and scream

But that part of it is part personal preference and partly your target demographic

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

To the OP (ThomasG)

I'm no expert in this, but i'm learning and working hard to become one.

Travis is right when he says "Fancy, high dollar places usually draw that type of client."

You mentioned that you tried to run a hardcore facility but werent successful. Have you figured out why this was? Was your overhead too high? Did you see a decline in membership/clientel when you opened your facility? If its because you were having trouble growing your business after opening your place, something tells me your not targetting people who would are interested in training at a hardcore gym. I think in order to open and run your own training facility and be successful, you need to look at the client base you already have, and decide where you want your business to end up.

For example, if your longterm goal is to train NFL players and make big money (ie. Defranco), your not going to open a "gym" that looks like the pictures you posted. I cant see a bunch of college football players standing in the mirror gelling their hair after pushing the prowler and flipping a tire for 6 trips. Same goes the other way, if you want to train middle age women interested in general fitness and weight training, your not going to open your "gym" in an industrial unit where rent is low, surounded by auto body shops, and the area is not so great.

I interned at Travis' gym and hes got it pretty well figured out. He works with athletes who are focused on improving performance and getting to the next level, and his facility shows that. Hes got reverse hypers, GHRs, power racks, dumbells...etc, but no fancy changerooms where a fresh towel is waiting next to the sink. As he said before, he has no intention of becoming a commercial gym, so he's not setting himself up to go down that path.

Anyways, just thought i'd give my input, as i'm currently trying to turn my business into a full time gig in my own facility too.
    Last edited by Detard; 12-07-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wow, excellent start up cost for you. I'm looking more around 20-30k. I have it all saved up but its just such a big leap and honestly a little bit scary too.

How much square footage have you been looking at? I've been looking at around 2,000.
    Do you plan on opening the gym up for memberships? Are you going to hire employees? Or is this going to be a place where you alone are going to be doing the training/coaching and running the business? Mainly 1 on 1 or large groups?

I'm not trying to be rude or sarcastic, just seeing what your plans are.
    Last edited by Detard; 12-07-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I was paying rent at a hardcore facility to run my business out of. Couple reasons why It didn't work. The biggest being I was brand new to the industry and didn't have a solid portfolio like I do now. Also I don't think there's a big demographic for that here. The only hardcore gym in the entire state is going out of business.
    As for the pictures I posted I would more be shooting for a happy medium between that and hardcore. Like how I mentioned I would have a strip of turf for the prowler, sled, agility etc. Power rack, GHR, bumper plates, kettle bells etc... I already own most of those things I currently utilize them with clients. However, I am not looking to specialize in only athletes. I just don't believe that's where the big bucks are at. Working with athletes however is what I love. One of my clients just placed at NPC nationals and that is a lot more fun than any general fitness client. Although I do enjoy training anyone who is willing to push themselves. The last thing I'd want to become is a commercial gym. Like I said in the OP I believe its about finding a happy medium like that gym owner in the op has done.
    Also I do plan on leasing warehouse space. Retail or warehouse most people don't care. Here is an example of a nice warehouse studio

I would change the door to thick glass with an embroidered logo.

I really like the open space in this studio which is what I prefer because really 90% of the time I use with clients is a barbell, power rack, dumbells, kettlebells and the turf field.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 12-07-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

You could always run a gym like this one

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gym-...e-dancing.html
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Space is fine, just keep in mind, the bigger the place, the bigger the rent tag

I believe DeFranco started out in a storage closet at a racquet club or something like that

You can always move into a bigger facility. Going down to a smaller one is never good for business. People just assume you are going downhill.

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.armbrustprogym.com/store.html

Look at what they are charging for their clothes! $45 for a freakin hoodie, I can one from EFS for half of that! I can only imagine what membership is there, atleast a couple hundered dollars amonth.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Do you plan on opening the gym up for memberships? Are you going to hire employees? Or is this going to be a place where you alone are going to be doing the training/coaching and running the business? Mainly 1 on 1 or large groups?

I'm not trying to be rude or sarcastic, just seeing what your plans are.
    Not rude or sarcastic at all. It will be a private training studio no a gym. Mostly 1 on 1, group training, and boot camps. Employees probably not but I do plan on finding other trainers to pay me rent to train there.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er