The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer/Lifter

At 250k a yr are you really rich?

Is $250k really alot of money to earn in a yr? Well I decided to do a bit of research.

My parents live comfortably at 100k a yr in a average size town in middle Georgia. THis level of income which my parents have spent the last 25+ yrs working towards has earned them the ability to easily meet their finanical requirments, and put away for a rainy day.

What they own

2 cars, a 2002 Ford Windstar and a 2008 Ford Escape
    1 Harley
    A 4 bedroom, 2 bath 2,500 sq foot house with 1.5 acre of land with a pool and 6 car garage (the previous owner was a nut case when it come to his cars and built 2 additional 2 car garages onto the property)

The live comfortably, but are far from rich. Now, on a quick comparison to live in NYC would cost them $200k+ a yr...At 100k a yr they'd be broke.

In many parts of the nation 250,000 IMHO Is not rich...I would argue $400,000 is though, maybe push that number up to $500,000...

O yea 6 figures isn't anywhere near rich esp in a city!
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Class warfare is a liberal and media ploy to get people all pissed off.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

250k is not rich at all. Just imagine what the taxes would be on that. I'm guessing you would clear 160-170k a year?? Depending on where you live a nice house could easily be 500-750k.

Rich is when you can cut a check for a Bugatti Veyron Supersport.

By nature, most people will always live up to their means. You could make it on 40K a year and you could struggle making 100K a year. When I was making 35K I thought that 50 was the magic numer. When I hit 50K, things were a little easier and I figured 60K must be where it gets really easy. Hit 60K and things didn't change much. Now at 75K and at a point where I can afford all my expenses, can have a house and 2 cars, and doing alright but there are still debts and still things I want but can't have. Even at 100K I wouldn't be totally set. I figure if I jumped to 250K by some miracle that I would end up buying a bigger house, and some of the things that are "wants" and I'd end up in a similar place that I am now, just with nicer things.

Also, I live in CT. Not as bad as NYC, but we still have some of the highest taxes in the nation. It's not cheap to live here.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

A few years back I had a job making about $20 an hour working a minimal of 40 hours a week and a lot of the time more than 40 hours. My biggest paycheck was a tad over $2000 take home for a 2 week period. Considering my previous income I was doing extremely well for myself. If I want to make an extravagant (by my standards) purchase I only had to set money aside for a month or two. Considering my situation at the time I would call myself well off, but not rich.

A guy I worked with at the time, who made as much as me, needed to work 5 12 hour days and at least one day on the weekend just to pay his bills. He had a lot of nice stuff and was too busy trying to pay it off to enjoy it. So even though we made the same amount of money I was well off and he was probably 3 months away from disaster.

I left that job 3 years ago and found out about 6 months afterwards that the union went on strike for a month and when they agreed to come back to work the company locked them out for another month. I have no idea how he managed but Im sure it wasn't good.

Gamer/Lifter
    I know what ya mean...You know the wealthiest guy I know he makes 130k a yr...(I know people who make much, much, much more then him in terms of pure numbers)

He lives in a 3rd world country and lives like a king...This country has all your modern conviences the economy just sucks though...But he lives like a king huge house, lot's of ncie cars, a few harleys runs the place...He's able to afford this because he bought his house cash (35k) a dinner cost $3 a beer? .50...lot of times the bars will give you free food and you can go ahead and just pay for the drinks...Yes you can go to a bar and have 8 beers, and a nice chicken dinner for about $4.

Ask someone in NY how much a nice meal and 8 beers would cost.

Tonight I had myself some chicken breast with a bit of sauce, pepper, and just apple juice...I prob spent more on a meal I cooked at him then he would on 8 beers and all you can eat chicken!
    Last edited by Nik00117; 12-01-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Figure that a typical heart surgeon makes about $250k a year and you get an idea. You can do pretty well for yourself and live a very nice lifestyle making that much money. You'll own a nice house, a few nice cars, do all your food shopping at Whole Foods, wear very nice clothes, go on nice vacations every year, have a country club membership if you want, and have enough to invest to make a nice retirement for yourself.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    He lives in a 3rd world country and lives like a king... This country has all your modern conveniences the economy just sucks though...
    That's the point. An uneven distribution of wealth in less economically developed countries means that the rich can live like kings. It's not that the economy in the West sucks, it's that it's too strong and everyone is at a higher level. If your friend is at a mid-level income in the states then he has the luxury of moving to a third-world country and lowering the bar, by moving to a worse economy whilst still using the power of a stronger one (dollars). If, however, he was on a mid-level income in a third-world country, he'd be stuck there complaining. He'd be at the equivalent wage level but have nowhere near the number of conveniences.

Wow. 100k dollars a year gets you that far in America?

In England that works out at about 50k pounds a year. Between two parents supporting a family and a house, that's very little. Certainly not enough to have a big house, with land and have lots to put aside.

Depends on where you live and what you're family situation is.

Where I live you can buy a new 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house on the edge of a small town for 200k so you'd be rich with 250k / year.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    This side of Bill has been pretty quiet lately.
    Good to have ya back.

I'll just leave this here, it's clearly a product of the biased liberal media conspirators:

http://www.businessinsider.com/plutocracy-reborn
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

If I made 250k a year I wouldn't call my self rich but I would be doing awesome where I live.

I own a house (150k) have toys (quads) have a nice truck ect and I have no problem saving money only making 70k between 2 people.
    Last edited by ffkjj; 12-01-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Damn....where I live 40,000 a yr and ur living a good life....I can only imagine making that and living here...

Good lord. I make about 20k a year... with a degree. And I'm living "okay".

With 250 I'd be a ****ing rockstar.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Depends on where you live. The state I live in Utah even in the city the cost of living is cheap, 40k here and you're good to go. I'm single and make around 60k and live good. x2 on I'd be a ****ing rockstar with 250k
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    This side of Bill has been pretty quiet lately.
    Good to have ya back.

I'll just leave this here, it's clearly a product of the biased liberal media conspirators:

http://www.businessinsider.com/plutocracy-reborn
    Hippy.

Read the text in that link. "Throughout most of these years, income in United States over $400,000 a year faced a tax rate just over 90%."

"These deep pockets paid just 23%..."

Obviously, far from unbiased and definetly skewed. Why do people who are perfectly fine working their 9-5, 40 hrs a week, never taking a financial risk of running their own business, never sticking their necks out there to create a job for others - feel that someone who risks it all should be penalized for working 100+hrs a week and being financially successful. You can call it greedy, but I didn't see anyone else working for the money I made. Cut spending, cut the massive waste.
    Last edited by BilltheButcher; 12-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Gamer/Lifter
    Depends on where you live. The state I live in Utah even in the city the cost of living is cheap, 40k here and you're good to go. I'm single and make around 60k and live good. x2 on I'd be a ****ing rockstar with 250k
    It does depend, in Korea you can live comfortably on 24k a yr...My friend lives off of 36k a yr and he has a brand new car, a brand new apartment, wears nice clothes, and never worries about money.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, 250k a year is a big amount but it would really depends on how large is your family and how do you budget that amount. It also depends on where you live.

250k a year is rich. its crazy to even say its not. whether you live a lifestyle close to your means or not shouldnt factor in. rich is having alot of money. 250k a year is alot of money. if you go out and blow it all on things you struggle to afford that doesnt mean youre not rich. it means youre bad with money. 250k is unfathomable to me. i make 12k a year. i work 40 hrs a week. and i bust my *** for that 8.50 an hour. for someone to not think two HUNDRED and fifty THOUSAND dollars a year is not rich is out of touch with reality.
    Last edited by 2kool; 12-01-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    I may have "Love" on my head, but i have Hate in my heart.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Ha ha ha ha been gone away for a while, and nice to see some of my old homies still are here and are the same.

To answer the OP's question, Rich is not a dollar amount it is a mindset. 80% of all millionaires have an annual income of less than 100k, they know how to handle their money...

I know people who make less than 50k and live very comfortably, and people who make over 100k and live pay check to pay check.

People need to become more aware of there income and what to do with their earnings.

If I had to label "rich" to one thing it would be this. Build a passive income portfolio to cover all of your expenses. The moment you can do that, then thats the dollar amount you need to be rich, and it takes a mindset to reach that goal. Until you do that stop hating on rich people. Those who despise wealth and success will never experience either.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I'm doing perfectly fine on 50k'ish/yr, with 250k I would certainly consider myself rich. I mean on 50k I can easily pay rent/food/gas/bills, pay my monthly student loan payments, and will probably buy a new STI within the next 6 months. If I didn't have the student loans, not only could I live comfortably I would still be saving 2k a month even with other bills. I'd say I would be perfectly happy at around 80-100k. I could get a small house, a new car, and still have enough to have fun and not worry too much about spending on fun things (like tvs, or computer parts, or snowboard equipment, etc).
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Gamer/Lifter
    Bigcorey you got it right! Most milionares I know make avg incomes, and have avg jobs. They just made the right moves with investments etc.

I don't think of 250 as rich, but if you aren't an idiot with it you'll have the startup capital for solid business ventures such as a fast food franchise. My ex's dad makes 200+ and drives a Taurus. He's gotta have a big stash of cash at this point, but he didnt blow it. He never buys anything..lol

If I had a few hundred grand I would move to NC and start opening Tudor's Biscuit World franchises. If anyone ever comes through WV, they're all over. Get a biscuit, feel the addiction.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    I'm doing perfectly fine on 50k'ish/yr, with 250k I would certainly consider myself rich. I mean on 50k I can easily pay rent/food/gas/bills, pay my monthly student loan payments, and will probably buy a new STI within the next 6 months. If I didn't have the student loans, not only could I live comfortably I would still be saving 2k a month even with other bills. I'd say I would be perfectly happy at around 80-100k. I could get a small house, a new car, and still have enough to have fun and not worry too much about spending on fun things (like tvs, or computer parts, or snowboard equipment, etc).
    Now we're talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    Ha ha ha ha been gone away for a while, and nice to see some of my old homies still are here and are the same.
    Disappeared for awhile, but now I am back. I don't see many of the old crew on here.

What everyone is failing to look at and comment on is the taxing. $250k is great, but if 50% goes to taxes, not so much. How would you like it if you made $20k a year, but after taxes your take home was $10k? Also a lot of the guys on here, are single, no family, no kids - it is real easy to say $50k is awesome when you can live in an apartment and have no responsibilities outside of yourself. When I was single with no kids, I was making around $35k and I thought I was Donald Trump.