The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

This is how you run a gym

Video

Serious. I know its not all hardcore but those places almost never last or make big bucks. That gym seems to have the happy medium between somewhere that soccer mom and family's can train(that's what sells) and a good place for the serious lifter to train. And I guarantee the gym owner is making good money.

More props to the guys that can run hardcore studios or gyms and profit six figures a year I truly admire and envy that. I tried running my business out of a hardcore training facility last year and failed. I'll be opening my own studio summer next year I would love to make it all hardcore but I would go broke.

Kind of random but I know a lot of people on here have a big interest in the fitness industry.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ThomasG; 12-06-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nice facility. I like the fact that its pretty versitile and can be marketed toward a family or the hardcore gym rat.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Nice facility. I like the fact that its pretty versitile and can be marketed toward a family or the hardcore gym rat.
    Exactly! I would love to train there and I'm sure it doesn't scare everyone away who isn't the hardcore type.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Looks awesome but it could cost a LOT to run that kind of facility because it tailors to every kind of person. Something to aim towards, at least.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

That gym is damn fine and the women aren't bad either
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

^--Agreed. I would shudder to think of the costs and how many members they would need to make a profit.

Any idea how big the city is that the gym is in?

Edit: I was agreeing with Keith's post though DavyRen's is also accurate.
    Last edited by tom183; 12-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.

I'd almost move to train there hahaha
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I think this is just awesome.

It also could provide a bit of a segue for people to try some powerlifting and other sorts of activities in a less intimidating environment. Plus having some eye candy present on your way to the drinking fountain after getting done with some deadlifts is always a nice bonus.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

This is more of a studio than a gym. This is my ultimate dream studio. I really envy guys that can open places like this and be highly successful, too bad its so scarce.

Video
    Last edited by ThomasG; 12-06-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    This is more of a studio than a gym. This is my ultimate dream studio. I really envy guys that can open places like this and be highly successful, too bad its so scarce.

Video
    Now THAT is an ideal place to train. That's the kind of gym I'd love to train at. I agree with you Thomas, I really admire someone that can be successful and attract that kind of clientele. I thought of running a similar gym multiple times but it's too risky as 95%+ fail.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Oh crap, where'd all the posts go? ... Play nice or I'll close it down
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Now THAT is an ideal place to train. That's the kind of gym I'd love to train at. I agree with you Thomas, I really admire someone that can be successful and attract that kind of clientele. I thought of running a similar gym multiple times but it's too risky as 95%+ fail.
    Word. Sadly the hardcore gym in my neck of the woods is going out of business . They have a monolift reverse hyper, prowlers, sleds, etc... So sad to see those places go down while planet fitness flourishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Oh crap, where'd all the posts go? ... Play nice or I'll close it down
    Thanks. I really didn't want this thread to get ruined.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Word. Sadly the hardcore gym in my neck of the woods is going out of business . They have a monolift reverse hyper, prowlers, sleds, etc... So sad to see those places go down while planet fitness flourishes.
    Damn. I don't understand why those kinds of gyms don't do well or why it doesn't attract more people. Simply put, if people want the best results, they have to train in the best atmosphere and use the best equipment, right? Why does 90% of the population continue to use recumbent bikes and smith machines?
    Last edited by Off Road; 12-06-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.

I miss a leg room! The leg room at Bev Francis was sick. People throwing around massive amounts of weight and just getting after it. This place looks good. I miss gyms the size of a warehouse.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Great gyms, for sure something to shoot for. Good luck and hopefully you can accomplish your dream gym.
    Work hard. Stay humble.

So what are everyone thoughts on opening a hardcore gym?

There was a member from canada I believe that was talking starting a hardcore gym. I personally would love to do it but I never would. I'm not only in the industry for money but I'm also meant to make the big bucks and I've found in this industry meatheads do not like to spend money. The middle aged female who is starting to worry about her appearance and health is. I'm not talking petty cash either these women will spend 1000+ a month on it. I also have a big passion for athletics so finding the happy medium is something I am striving for.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Damn. I don't understand why those kinds of gyms don't do well or why it doesn't attract more people. Simply put, if people want the best results, they have to train in the best atmosphere and use the best equipment, right? Why does 90% of the population continue to use recumbent bikes and smith machines?
    Because it's not accessible to the average Joe/Jane.

I don't want to generalize about all PLers, but outside these boards, most don't exactly give off an "approachable vibe." The vast majority of the bigger guys at my gym don't walk around like the own the place, but they don't exactly give off anything welcoming. I get it, it's the gym, it's not a social event. Unless I run into someone I know I make a conscious effort to focus on the music in my earphones and the weight I'm going to lift. But at 6' 150lbs, when I walk by a group of people with my head down and Amon Amarth pouring out of my ear buds, nobody really notices. If you are 6' and 250lbs, and the bar bends while you bench, it's not well-founded, but expect people to be a little intimidated.
    As some of you who work at gyms may attest, one of the biggest factors that hinders people from working out, is being self conscious and/or intimidated. Lifetime teaches it's classes in the dark for this reason.
    The overweight 50 year old lady is going to see you guys grunting in the rack and think "woah that's weightlifting and weightlifting is scary," and go run off to the elliptical s or to yoga class.

Starting Current

Video

Serious. I know its not all hardcore but those places almost never last or make big bucks. That gym seems to have the happy medium between somewhere that soccer mom and family's can train(that's what sells) and a good place for the serious lifter to train. And I guarantee the gym owner is making good money.

More props to the guys that can run hardcore studios or gyms and profit six figures a year I truly admire and envy that. I tried running my business out of a hardcore training facility last year and failed. I'll be opening my own studio summer next year I would love to make it all hardcore but I would go broke.

Kind of random but I know a lot of people on here have a big interest in the fitness industry.

Thoughts?
    Everybody just skip to 6:45.

jk, cool gym. But seriously....6:45

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Banned
    The best gym in my area is a pretty small place that's also the oldest gym in the city. It was started by a Royal Marine in 1959 and has had numerous sporting champions come through it's doors over the years. They specialize in Olympic lifting and powerlifting but have a big cardio section as well.

The thing that makes them unique is that they have separate days for women's and men's training. Men on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday morning. Women on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon. It seems like a very old-fashioned idea but I can sort of see it working... It could be the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by J.C.; 12-07-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post

The thing that makes them unique is that they have separate days for women's and men's training.
    Yoga pants add at least 25lbs to my dead lift and at least 5 pull ups, this would not work for me.

Starting Current

I would not say the Gym i go to is 'hardcore' as such but it is in the end of a warehouse and the next building is a builders yard so it comes close i guess, the owner makes a fair bit of money by running a Valet service in the yard he gets a good 10 cars a day in the summer that is about 200dollars for you chaps he charges about 13pounds for a full valet. That and membership+Supplement sales, clothing sales and one off payments etc keeps him going ok.

I guess, like anything you will get what you put in and maybe for a year or two years you have to hold two jobs but the members will come.

Just toady i was stopped in the petrol station and asked about the gym just because i was wearing the hoodie i purchased with the gyms logo and name on. Thats another 25quid a month to the owner.

Things take time, if you can last the first year it will get easier i guess.

Good luck if you go for it! Nice thread too...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    I would not say the Gym i go to is 'hardcore' as such but it is in the end of a warehouse and the next building is a builders yard so it comes close i guess, the owner makes a fair bit of money by running a Valet service in the yard he gets a good 10 cars a day in the summer that is about 200dollars for you chaps he charges about 13pounds for a full valet. That and membership+Supplement sales, clothing sales and one off payments etc keeps him going ok.

I guess, like anything you will get what you put in and maybe for a year or two years you have to hold two jobs but the members will come.

Just toady i was stopped in the petrol station and asked about the gym just because i was wearing the hoodie i purchased with the gyms logo and name on. Thats another 25quid a month to the owner.

Things take time, if you can last the first year it will get easier i guess.

Good luck if you go for it! Nice thread too...
    The first year of starting my training business I worked at walmart and the night shift at home depot. I saved up my walmart and home depot money and invested them into my business. I've been %100 self employed for almost a year now

Right now I pay a gym rent. Next is the big leap into opening my own place.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 12-07-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

So what are everyone thoughts on opening a hardcore gym?

I belong to one and they're doing just fine.

They have three branches, one on West 49th St, one on West 42nd Street and the original one in Bayonne, NJ.

It's a great place for pretty much a hole-in-the-wall. Website here: http://www.midcitygym.com/
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles