Thread: NEW ARTICLE - The Ultimate Guide to Tire Training

NEW ARTICLE - The Ultimate Guide to Tire Training

There’s nothing better than getting a great strength and conditioning workout while outside on a beautiful day (or on a brisk December morning!).

The only problem with training outdoors is that you’re limited on equipment, which makes it tough to use the heavy loads needed to put on serious muscle, unless you’re at Venice Beach gym!

Nick Tumminello shows you a fast, cheap, and easy way to build bigger, stronger legs while drastically improving your level of conditioning and burning off some serious body fat!

READ HERE - The Ultimate Guide to Tire Training
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Great article. I use a tire for my sled drags already. I don't have a monster tire like the ones shown in the article, but I use a 37" off road tire. It's easy to adjust the weight of it by adding plates inside the tire and on top of the tire. I need to try out the Prowler idea from the article, that looks fun.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm googling right now where I can find me a nearby tire recycling center! great article!

Good article! Personally i feel i am going to see a lot more of our round rubber counterparts in the future
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Wannabebig Member
    can you make a harness? or where is the best place to get one?
    Check Out My YouTube Channel!
    21 yrs. old >180 bodyweight
    Gym PR's
    Squat - 480 (knee wraps)
    Bench - 380 raw
    Deadlift - 525 raw and 500x3 touch and go
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GloecklFitness

Cabela's sells a drag harness. Or you could make one out of rope pretty easily.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDeal930 View Post
    can you make a harness? or where is the best place to get one?
    If you want a harness that is built to last and can withstand some very heavy pulling then I would go with either Spud, Inc. or IronMind. The Spud is about 1/4 the cost of the IronMind so that would be my recommendation:

http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/...tNumber=SPUD17

For a more economical (but not as strong) alternative you can pick up a "deer drag harness" from any outdoor store that sells hunting supplies. These will usually run you about $10.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Tom,

Thanks for the recommendation - I LOVED this article and looking for tire recyclers so I can get a tire as well - I'll need the harness to go with it@!

Here is another option for fastening rope/chain to a tire. You can pick up the bolts, coupling, and chain for around $15 at The Home Depot. The PVC Pipe (handle) is great for grip work and only costs a couple of dollars.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Tom, that's way-cool-a-go-go.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Tom, that's way-cool-a-go-go.
    Thank you, that is my new implement for conditioning work.

I also have outfitted my heavy tire with some 2x4's to give a bit more ground clearance and improve the grip for tire flips. Did not have a chance to weigh the big tire but I believe that it is 850+ lbs (26.5R25).

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Thank you, that is my new implement for conditioning work.

I also have outfitted my heavy tire with some 2x4's to give a bit more ground clearance and improve the grip for tire flips. Did not have a chance to weigh the big tire but I believe that it is 850+ lbs (26.5R25).

Very awesome! What vehicle did that thing come off of?

good article
    but excluding entirely the Tire Flip, WTF??????

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    good article
    but excluding entirely the Tire Flip, WTF??????
    I did notice that the example picture posted in the picture was not the correct form on the tire. Perhaps they wanted to exclude tire flip because a lot of people do not perform it properly and there can be safety concerns, especially with smaller or more narrow tires.

My opinion is that tire flip is a great movement for overall strength and conditioning (when performed correctly).

He just said that deadlifts work the same muscles as the tire flips, deadlifts are easier to perform, and deadlifts are safer. I agree with him, and it's easier to make progress on deadlifts. If you are taking about conditioning, I think the drags do a great job, are easier than flips, and are once again safer. Does that mean you shouldn't do tire flips?
    Last edited by Off Road; 12-09-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    He just said that deadlifts work the same muscles as the tire flips, deadlifts are easier to perform, and deadlifts are safer. I agree with him, and it's easier to make progress on them.
    There could be some confusion since there really are not many "experts" when it comes to Tire Flip.

Technically you are not supposed to deadlift the tire, and it would work different muscle groups if you perform the tire flip correctly since you are actually driving your body forward into the tire. It is similar to hitting a tacking sled in football - which works your entire lower body (not just posterior chain). The tire flip is also a triple extension movement which is similar to the power or hang clean in a lot of ways.

I agree that training with a barbell is much safer because not everyone has a good coach to show them how to flip a tire and a lot of tires are not safe to be flipped (too narrow, do not have proper grip, etc.).

Overall I would say that tire flips should not be disregarded, but should be performed with caution and under the direction / supervision of a qualified trainer or athlete.

Very good info Tom. I was looking at it with an eye towards general lifting, I should have also been thinking about athletics.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal