The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

First USAPL Meet Lifts

This was my first Powerlifting Meet. Finally got my feet wet and had the time of my life! Weighed in at 154 lbs and finished the day with a 1096 total. Goal was to break 1000, so I'm happy with this. Felt like sharing these on the pictures forum. Enjoy:

Video

Video

Video
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good job, but you always want to get better too, right? Your squat setup and walk out are killing you. Seems like you are traveling way too far back and doing too much instead of just picking, taking two short steps back(just enough to clear the racks), taking in a big breath, and squatting. Your unrack stance seems very wide too, but maybe you are comfortable with that. But tighten that up and you have the potential to do so much more.

It was more pronounced in the first attempt, but your hips shoot way up in your deadlifts before anything else. Either just start with them a tad higher to cut out the wasted movement, or build up that area to keep them where you want to be.

Squat depth is fantastic. I know depth is a sore subject, but that is the type of depth that leaves no doubt and what I prefer.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Good job, but you always want to get better too, right? Your squat setup and walk out are killing you. Seems like you are traveling way too far back and doing too much instead of just picking, taking two short steps back(just enough to clear the racks), taking in a big breath, and squatting. Your unrack stance seems very wide too, but maybe you are comfortable with that. But tighten that up and you have the potential to do so much more.

It was more pronounced in the first attempt, but your hips shoot way up in your deadlifts before anything else. Either just start with them a tad higher to cut out the wasted movement, or build up that area to keep them where you want to be.

Squat depth is fantastic. I know depth is a sore subject, but that is the type of depth that leaves no doubt and what I prefer.
    Awesome, thanks Joey. Feedback is always welcome and you bet I plan to get better. I noticed that on my deadlift awhile back and plan to start with my hips a little higher in the future. Just haven't worked it into the muscle memory yet. On the squat, I will try and get back to my old three step setup. Really appreciate the words, bro. Depth felt awesome for sure. I actually train to a 16" box, which is about 5" higher than you see me hitting for competition there. I threw the box out and pulled my knee sleeves off about 8 weeks ago to start training for the meet and it seemed to carry over well. Gonna continue this and see if the gains keep coming.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Banned
    nice man, very good lifting. very strong dead!

Banned
    Good stuff man. I'm really glad we were able to compete together. Here's to 1150 next! I'll be doing the one in March.