The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cman's Lifting Log

Current Goals

Bench Press 300 lbs.
    Deadlift 450 lbs.

Perform 33 perfect form chin ups (to beat my grandfather's record of 32 back when he was in the marines)
    Perform a perfect front lever pull up
    Perform a perfect one armed chin up

Keep bodyweight below 150 lbs

Status as of early December, 2010

Bench Press: 250 lbs.
    Deadlift: 2x bodyweight

Chin Ups: Low 20s with perfect form (Need to get in shape for these...I hardly do them anymore)
    Front Lever Pull Up: I can hold a front lever position with one leg straight and the other bent, but not both legs straight out.
    One Armed Chin Up: I can do a one armed chin up from slightly below a 90 degree angle, but not a dead hang.

Bodyweight: 142, give or a take a pound or 2.

My Journal

I'm keeping track of my progress because I always like to see the goals and what it took to get there all written out for me. It just gives me a better sense of accomplishment when I look back on everything. Soon I'll post a schedule that I'm going to be using for at least the entire winter to prepare myself for Outdoor Track. I'm hoping to run the 800 meter below 2:05 this year and I'd like to give pole vaulting a go as well. Here's the schedule.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Lift (Upper and Lower Body)

Wednesday: Plyometrics

Thursday: Lift (Upper and Lower Body)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Lift (Upper and Lower Body)

Sunday: Plyometrics

Updated the schedule! It's a little easier on my body and I should be seeing some good results from it.

Other Info

I eat pretty well for a teenager who isn't too concerned about nutrition. I stay away from soda and most candies, that's it. Other than that I eat whatever I want whenever I want, which will provide me with enough protein for my body to repair my muscles after workouts. I'm never very sore at all after my workouts (even after consecutive days) but I still gain strength fairly quickly so I'm loving it. I'll have pictures up soon and I'll try to take one every month or so because I want to compare them as I keep improving. Well, that's it, feel free to drop by and say hi or something.
    Last edited by colinS3; 12-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here was my workout last session. It was 2 weeks ago =\. I'm currently on a trip in Europe so I've had no chance at working out over here, unfortunately. Once I get back to the states I'm sure I'll be a little weaker than I was when I left, but oh well. The 2 week rest is probably a good thing for my body in the long run.

Note: All exercises are done with this rep scheme..
    1 set of 12 reps
    Rest for a minute
    1 set of 10 reps with the same weight

1. Seated Low Row (machine)
    -180 lbs.

2. Bench Press (barbell)
    - 185 lbs.

3. Standing Alternating Bicep Curls (dumbbells)
    - 35 lbs. each hand

4. Hanging Leg Raises (bodyweight)
    - 15 hips square
    - 15 hips turned to the left
    - 15 hips turned to the right

5. Forearm Curls (rope)
    - 25 lbs.

6. Arnold Press (dumbbells)
    - 25 lbs.

7. Pec Flys (machine)
    - 185 lbs.

8. Pulldowns (machine)
    - 180 lbs.

9. Shrugs (barbell)
    - 200 lbs.

10. Other Ab Exercises
    - V-Ups, 3x20

I know I said I'm doing a full body workout, but that wasn't entirely true..up until now! I'm not doing Indoor Track this season, so that gives me a few months to work on my legs without any fear of getting injured. Starting my next workout session, I'll be adding a bunch of different leg exercises to make sure I build up enough strength for my Track season, and just to get stronger in general. I don't really wanna be imbalanced with my upper and lower body anymore..

Expect my next log in a couple of days, probably Monday since I get back from Europe on Sunday night.

My next workout is going to go something like this..

1. Deadlifting
    2. The entire upper body workout I previously posted.
    3. My new lower body workout
    - Leg Extensions
    - Leg Curls
    - Calf Raises
    - Back Extensions

This will be my workout on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

On Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday I'll be doing HIIT and Plyometrics.

33 pullups...that's insane.
    But...That's a pretty weak leg workout.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Haha thanks, I think I have my light weight and strong back to thank for the pull ups. I've always been good with bodyweight stuff so when I started to lift my pull ups and push ups skyrocketed.

As for the leg workout, yea haha I know. I've added a few more exercises but it still isn't anything special. This will most likely be my lower body workout on lifting days.

Deadlifts
    Good Mornings
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Seated Calf Raises
    Squats

I'll probably do 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps for each of those exercises, I've gotta experiment with it a little bit to find out what works for me. I won't be adding any extra sets or exercises because on the days that I'm not lifting I'll be doing HIIT and plyometrics. Lifting is for strength, HIIT is for speed, and plyometrics is for power. That's how I'm breaking up each part and I think it's a pretty accurate description of each one even though they all overlap a little bit. I'll also be working on flexibility because I'm lacking in that department and I need to fix that to reduce the risk for injury and all that good stuff.

I'll have my first workout posted on Monday, until then I'll leave this thread alone.

I like that better
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Perfect

Monday, November 29th

Okay, I did my first workout in just over 2 weeks today and things went pretty well. I had to lower the weight by 5 pounds for most of the exercises because I've lost a little bit of strength. That was actually a nice surprise, I was expecting to drop at least 10 pounds to start things back up again. This was my workout.

Upper Body:

Seated Low Row (used to lift 175)
    - 170 x 12 x 1, then 170 x 10 x 1

Bench Press (used to lift 180)
    - 175 x 12 x 1, then 170 x 10 x 1

Standing Bicep Curls: Alternating (luckily I didn't have to go down in weight for this one)
    - 35 x 12 x 1, then 35 x 10 x 1

Hanging Leg Raises (i never really increase this exercise)
    - 15 raises with hips turned left, then turned right, then in the middle

Forearm Curls (rope, stayed the same)
    - 25 x 1 upward curl then 1 downward curl
    *increasing to 2 sets tomorrow

Pec Flys (used to lift 185-190)
    - 180 x 12 x 1, then 180 x 10 x 1

Arnold Press (used to lift 30)
    - 25 x 12 x 1, then 25 x 10 x 1
    *increasing to 30 lbs. tomorrow

Pulldowns (used to lift 175)
    - 165 x 12 x 1, then 170 x 6 x 1
    *Normally I would've been able to do the same weight as my seated low row, I'm hoping that by tomorrow or Thursday I'll be able to do 170 for 2 sets.

Lower Body (first time doing lower body, the weights will be changing a lot in the next week or 2)

Deadlifts
    - 225 x 3 x 3

Leg Extensions
    - 40 x 8 x 2 for each leg

Leg Curls
    - 35 x 8 x 2 for each leg

Calf Raises
    - 90 x 8 x 1
    - 65 x 8 x 1
    *I need to experiment with the right weight with this exercise

Good Mornings
    - 60 x 8 x 2
    *I really need to experiment with weight for this one. It was the first time I ever did this exercise.

Squats
    - 135 x 8 x 1
    *Not my first time but pretty close to it so I'm starting off with lower weight to get the form down.

Pull Ups
    I was able to do 21 pull ups with perfect form. It was the first time I did pull ups in 3-4 weeks, so I was very pleased.

Thoughts
    My main concern is getting my original strength back. I'm hoping that'll happen by next Monday, but it could take up to 2 weeks.

Okay, that was my workout. From now on I'm going to refer to this as my Primary Lifting Routine. It's a lot easier to say that instead of typing it all over again..I could copy/paste but it takes up a bunch of unnecessary space haha. I'll post the entire thing every Monday to keep track of my weekly progressions, but on every other day it'll be referred to as the Primary Lifting Routine.

I know there are flaws with this workout, but it's been going really well for me (well, the upper body one has, I just started my lower body work) so I'm gonna stick with it unless my body doesn't take it well. In the past I've found that I typically increase 5 pounds in weight every 2 weeks in my exercises like the bench press and seated low row, and similar increases with my other exercises that use lighter weights (proportional increases). Up until now I was running while doing my upper body workout, so my strength was increasing by those increments even while I was burning off a little bit of muscle from all of my running. When my XC season ended I actually increased my repping bench press weight by 15 pounds (other exercises like the seated low row as well), so I'm assuming I'll get stronger even faster now that I'm not running. Luckily I hardly gain any mass from this type of workout because I don't eat with the intention to bulk and it doesn't work my muscles like a bodybuilder/powerlifter routine would. So I'm gonna stick with this and see where it takes me, hopefully it keeps working out.

I'll be back here tomorrow.
    Last edited by colinS3; 11-29-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Tuesday, November 30

Thoughts

Today I did my Primary Lifting Routine, but my lower body was slightly different because it turns out we're doing our fitness room unit in gym now. Since I had to do some lower body stuff in school today I cut out some of my exercises once I got to the Y. Everything felt solid and I already increased the weight by 5 lbs. for my bench press and some other exercises. I should have my original strength back by Saturday at this rate which will be very nice. I'm a little sore though because I'm out of shape but that shouldn't last long. Once I go a few more times I'll be as good as new.

Well, that's it for today, next lifting workout will be on Thursday. Tomorrow I'll be doing plyometrics.

All right, I haven't posted here for a week but I've been training! Like I thought, I managed to work up to my regular strength again after 1 week. Around Thursday I started suffering from a pretty severe decrease in weight, which basically took all of my energy away from me. On Thursday and Saturday I actually had to leave the gym halfway through my workouts because I was so tired. That had never happened before so I weighed myself and I was 135 pounds, normally I'm around 143. That was kind of alarming so I've been eating like crazy since Sunday and I've gained all of my weight except for a pound or 2 back. That's good enough for me right now because my strength is back and by tomorrow or the day after I'll get that last bit of weight back no problem.

Here are my weekly results for Monday's workout, I also did a similar workout today as well.

Monday, December 6

Upper Body

Seated Low Row
    - 175 x 12 x 1, then 175 x 9 x 1

Bench Press
    - 180 x 12 x 1, then 185 x 9 x 1
    *Thursday I should be able to go up to 185 lbs. for both sets.

Standing Bicep Curls: Alternating
    - 35 x 10 x 1
    *The weight loss made me weaker here, but it shouldn't last long.

Hanging Leg Raises
    - 15 raises with hips turned left, then turned right, then in the middle. Feet went approximately 1 foot over my head during each raise.

Forearm Curls
    - 25 x 1 upward curl then 1 downward curl

Pec Flys
    - 190 x 12 x 1, then 190 x 8 x 1

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    - 35 x 12 x 1, then 35 x 10 x 1
    *Switched from Arnold Press to Dumbbell Shoulder Press. Moving up to 40 by next week.

Pulldowns
    - 175 x 12 x 1, then 175 x 8 x 1

Lower Body (I changed it around, it's much easier now)

Deadlifts
    - 225 x 3 x 3

Leg Press
    - 4 plates x 10 x 3

Calf Raises
    - 2 plates + 10 lbs. x 10 x 3

Back Extensions (machine)
    - 190 x 10 x 3

Pull Ups
    I'll be cutting pull ups out of the workout for now because I don't want to hurt my left elbow. Increasing my weights at a faster rate than usual has agitated it a little bit but I'm already close to any uncomfortable feeling being 100% gone. I just want to be safe, that's all.

Thoughts
    Well I'm glad that I'm back up to my normal weights for everything! Not running has actually increased my muscle size but with no increase in weight, probably because I don't eat as much..I've also begun my Plyometrics and Sprinting, and things feel great. I have been prone to shin splints and other injuries like tendonitis in the past so I'll be icing/heating and stretching lots. Well, that's pretty much it. I'll post back here tomorrow!

I've been keeping up my routine for the most part this week but I've been pretty busy with school so I haven't posted on my journal for a while. I also missed 1 lifting day but that's okay, I still got 3 lifting days in this week so I'm all set.

Pull ups are starting to get incredibly easy now..I haven't been working on them recently but I decided to do a bunch right after my full body workout today. I got 20 with perfect form and I could've kept going. With all of my muscles tired out from my workout I found that really surprising.

After a few hours of rest I decided to mess around with my pull up bar and for the first time ever I managed to do a one armed pull up and I couldn't believe I actually managed to do it. I'm also extremely close to being able to do a front lever pull up, my guess is by the end of the next couple weeks I'll be able to hold the parallel position for 5-10 seconds and I can't wait for that. It could actually take at least a month though... I'm not entirely sure how to go off of my current progress.

Besides that there's been no major accomplishments, just regular lifting. This next week I'm going to implement my plyometrics and speed work for the days that I'm not lifting. I decided not to do that until now so I could give my legs a chance to get into lifting shape. Now that they aren't getting sore anymore I'm all set to go!
    Last edited by colinS3; 12-12-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Oh, I've also been getting more flexible. I can almost hold my entire hand over my foot while doing the hurdle stretch and I'm 3/4 of the way down to a full split. Both of those a major improvements from a month ago haha. I was pretty inflexible and I still kind of am, but it won't be long before I fix that problem.

I skipped the workout for today to get me back into the groove of things without doing anything crazy this week. If I worked out for monday and tuesday like I planned this week, then I would've worked out for 3 days in a row. I could've handled it with little to no problems, but doing the same thing for 2 consecutive days along with 2 more lifting days later in the week is heavy enough on my CNS. This is my current plan for the week and basically until track starts.

Monday: Lifting Day (Upper and Lower Body)

Tuesday: Lifting Day (Upper and Lower Body)

Wednesday: Plyometrics

Thursday: Lifting Day (Upper and Lower Body)

Friday: Plyometrics and HIIT Sprint Workout

Saturday: Lifting Day (Upper and Lower Body)

Sunday: HIIT Sprint Workout

My lower body is in shape to keep up with this type of workout now so I'll be diving right in this week. I've just been lifting so far but I'm excited to get my real plan going.

Ignore this post.
    Last edited by colinS3; 12-18-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Great workout today, I improved in a few areas and my weight is back to normal (140-145) so I have plenty of energy. All I need to work on now is sleep..once christmas break sets in I'll be able to get a solid sleep schedule going so I should be set in about a week. Here were the major highlights in today's workout...

I moved up to repping 190 lbs. for Bench Press

I moved up to repping 180 lbs. for Pulldowns and Seated Low Rows

Now I do 2 sets of rope curls with the 25 lbs. weight

Completed my first 3 sets of 3 at 255 lbs. for deadlift.

I was pretty pleased with the results today, especially because the bench press and seated low rows felt easier than I would've imagined. Pulldowns were just tiring because of fatigue, I do those towards the end of my workout haha. In a week or so there's a good chance I'll increase the weight again for these exercises, and by then all my other exercises should be increased as well. Tomorrow is plyometrics and sprint work on the treadmill, I'll be sure to post the results once I'm done.

Edited first post. Now it's a bit easier to read and I ramble on about nothing a lot less.

Did some plyometrics today and it went pretty well. I also did an HIIT workout, but instead of sprinting I did jumping jacks. I really didn't want to run on a treadmill today and the track at my school is covered in snow unfortunately. Here's the workout in a bit more detail. Nothing too hard for now, I'll be working my way up very gradually.

Medium Intensity
    *Start at 8, increase reps by 1 until reaching 10

Standing Long Jump: 3x8
    Alternate Leg Bound: 3x8
    Double Leg Hop: 3x8
    Pike Jump: 2x8
    Depth Jump: 2x8

HIIT Workout

Jumping Jacks
    -As many jumping jacks as possible in 20 seconds
    -Rest for 1 minute
    -Repeat until 6 sets are complete

Tomorrow is my lifting day, I'm excited to see how my exercises are progressing. Oh, and as a side note to everything I've noticed a nice improvement with my vertical jump. I haven't measured my vertical jump once in my life but I can already tell that it's a lot better, I never used to be able to jump well at all. That's a very good sign because it means I'm definitely getting more explosive/powerful.

Saturday, December 18

Good workout today! Experimented with shoulders a tiny bit and added in squats. I also decided to move my deadlifting to my Plyometric/Sprinting days. Here was my workout.

Lifting Day - Upper and Lower Body

Seated Low Row
    180x12
    180x10

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    190x12
    190x10
    *Moving up in 2 workouts

Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curls (Alternating)
    35x12
    35x8

Hanging Leg Raises
    15 with hips turned left, 15 with hips turned right, 10 with hips facing forward. Legs were completely straight and my feet went to or above head level each time.

Forearm Curls
    *Somebody misplaced the rope and rod...

Seated Calf Raises
    3x115x10

Leg Press
    3x270x10

3x200x10

Barbell Military Press
    95x10
    95x7
    *Experimenting with this exercise. I think I'll keep it...

Pulldowns
    180x12
    180x9

Squats
    2x135x10
    *Just started adding these into the workout today. Going down to at least parallel with the ground like I should be.

Pec Fly (Machine)
    195x12
    195x10

Shrugs
    185x12
    205x10
    *Just trying to see what weight works for me. I'll move up to 225 for my next workout.

Thoughts

Everything is feeling stronger so I'm pretty happy about that. Something that's pretty surprising is that I managed to complete my 12/10 rep scheme with bench and seated low rows, even though I just increased my weight by 5 lbs. 2 workouts ago. I'm used to completing that rep scheme within 1-2 weeks, not 2 workouts haha. I'll do one more workout and see if I can complete it again with a little less effort, and if that's the case I'll move up to 195 lbs. for bench and 185 lbs. for seated low rows. The pulldowns will probably go up as well because I was just 1 rep away from completing the 12/10 rep scheme, which was only because of fatigue from seated low rows and other exercises beforehand.

I also decided to cut out the deadlift for my lifting days and replace it with squats. I'm still going to do deadlifts but I felt like doing squats and deadlifts in the workout I just posted was too much for one session. Instead I'll be doing deadlifts on my Plyometrics/Sprinting days right before my workout starts. The deadlifts are such low reps for such a small amount of time (and with plenty of rest in between) that it shouldn't have any bad effects on my workout.

That's it for today, it was a good day. My goal is to get bench up to 200 lbs. for my repping scheme by new years.
    Last edited by colinS3; 12-18-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Tried out a new format and I forgot to write down shrugs

Sunday, December 19

Today was my HIIT workout and since the track is covered in snow I just used my neighborhood. My legs felt good but I was pretty tired by the end of it. This is just the beginning of my HIIT workouts though. I'll look back on this in a couple months and laugh at how easy it is..

HIIT - Speed Work

- All out sprint for 15 seconds.

- Jog for 2 minutes.

- Repeat until 6 sprints are completed.

Thoughts

Like I said before, I was pretty tired afterwards but it'll be a lot easier once I get into shape. To be honest I probably shouldn't be concerned with the fact that I was tired because it's called High Intensity Interval Training for a reason haha. For my next HIIT workout I'll bump it up to 7 sprints and keep the duration for 15 seconds. I'll continue to bump it up by 1 for each workout until I reach 10, which is when I'll increase the time to 20 seconds and start from 6 sprints again. I'll continue that process until I eventually work my way up to 30 seconds for 10 sprints and just hold it there until Outdoor Track starts.

I'm gonna hold off on pull ups because they're agitating my left elbow a little bit. I'll ice it up a bunch and see what happens in a week or so when I try em again. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago so I might just have to forget about pull ups for a little while. I'm guessing doing all of those on top of what my arms are dealing with now is just too much. When I don't do pull ups my left elbow gets better so as long as I stay away from them for a little while I should be okay.

I could also just be overreacting to a slight soreness..but I'll be safe with this because it isn't worth the risk.

Monday, December 20

I worked out with my friend today and he just did everything I did, only with heavier weights because he's stronger than me haha. He's one of people in my close circle of friends that got me into lifting, actually. But the workout was great, here's what I did.

Seated Low Row
    180x12
    180x10

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    190x12
    190x10
    *I completed this with a lot better form than last time, but barely.

35x12
    35x10
    *Finally got back up to completing the 12/10 rep scheme for this exercise..I should've dropped the weight when I got back from France but I was a little stubborn and that made the progression take a lot longer.

Hanging Leg Raises
    15 with hips turned left, 15 with hips turned right, 10 with hips facing forward. Legs were completely straight and my feet went to or above head level each time.

Forearm Curls
    1x25 with upward curls
    1x25 with downward curls
    *Moving weight up to 27.5 by Thursday. Also doing 2 sets of each by Thursday.

Seated Calf Raises
    3x120x10

Leg Press
    2x270x10

3x205x10

Barbell Military Press
    95x12
    105x8
    *I'm getting the feel for this exercise. I'll keep it for now, I just need to keep working at it. I think my shoulders are the weakest area of my upper body.

Pulldowns
    180x12
    180x10
    *Barely completed the 12/10 rep scheme. Should be able to complete it tomorrow. If that goes well I'll increase weight for Thursday.

Squats
    2x135x10
    *I had a little better form today, going parallel for most of the time. I've still gotta get used to squats though, this is the first time I'm doing them consistently and with good form.

Pec Fly (Machine)
    195x12
    195x10

Shrugs
    2x205x10
    *I moved to a barbell instead of the smith machine because it makes it a little harder and there's more stability for the barbell. It was tough so I'll stay at this weight for now.

Abs
    Salute Planks
    X-Planks
    Ab Lever

Thoughts

If things go well for bench press, seated low row, and pulldowns then I'll increase the weight by 5 lbs. on Thursday. I'm not entirely sure if I should yet, but I'll know by the end of tomorrow's workout. I'm seeing some more definition, especially in my abs now that I've been doing salute planks, x-planks, and ab levers on the side. Whenever I can punch my stomach and not feel any pain whatsoever I know my abs are in good shape, so right now I'm golden haha. Tomorrow I'll be doing the same workout and the exercises should be slightly easier to complete..whether that means I'll increase weights on Thursday or not..well, we'll see.

So I went to the Y today for my typical workout and my left elbow was bugging me more than usual so I cut it really short and left. I think all the pull ups I did over the weekend (on top of all the lifting I've been doing lately) wore my left elbow down. I've just gotta cut those out of my workout because I'm starting to get some elbow tendonitis. It shouldn't be that big of a deal though because it's just the beginning. To be safe I'm gonna lift 3 days a week from now on instead of 4, which means no more consecutive days. This should help relieve my left elbow a lot and it'll prevent any further injuries with my other muscles. This'll be my new schedule, I'll update the first post as well.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Lift

Wednesday: Sprint Training and Plyometrics

Thursday: Lift

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Lift

Sunday: Sprint Training and Plyometrics

This schedule seems more stable to me and I should be able to handle it. I might have trouble with my upper body because of my elbow right now, but my lower body shouldn't have any problems. The tendonitis I have in my left knee is actually almost gone since I've started lifting and I can't believe it. I had it for a good year so it's about time haha.

I'll be icing my elbow a few times every day and stretching it as well. Hopefully that alone will be enough to fix it up so I don't have to stop my upper body workouts, but we'll see. If I don't see any improvement by the end of this week I'll just stop lifting upper body for a week or 2 and focus on healing that arm up. A rest for my upper body will be good anyways and then I can focus on getting my lower body a little more proportional with my upper body haha. Besides, I'm training for Outdoor Track right now...any extra upper body strength is essentially useless for me right now. The only reason I train my upper body as well is because I just like to lift weights. It won't be too devastating for me to stop the upper body training for a while if I have to.

Thursday, December 23

I had to be careful in this workout because of my elbow tendonitis. It's relatively painless right now so it should be relatively easy to fix. Just gotta deal with it now instead of later. I hardly felt it today, though! Even with the heavy lifts. I think the rest/icing and ibuprofen for the last 2 days has helped a lot.

Seated Low Row
    180x12
    180x10

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    190x12
    190x5
    *I was taking it easy on my elbow, I could've done 10 on my last set.

*I decided to skip these today because of my elbow..I wasn't sure how it would react to the dumbbell curls.

Hanging Leg Raises

Forearm Curls
    1x25 with upward curls
    1x25 with downward curls
    *Pretty easy, gotta move up next week.

Seated Calf Raises
    3x115x10
    *I did these with much better form than my last workout at 120

Leg Press
    2x290x10

3x205x10

Seated Shoulder Press (Machine)
    105x12
    105x10
    *Back when I first started lifting I saw the biggest gains through this machine. I think I'm going to go back to it now because my other shoulder exercises haven't been helping me out too much.

Pulldowns
    180x12
    180x10
    *Easier than last time.

Squats
    2x135x10
    *Better form than last time, but I'm staying at this weight until my form is perfect. Besides, this weight is enough to make me barely complete it. My legs are very weak...gotta fix that.

Pec Fly (Machine)
    195x12
    195x10

Shrugs
    2x225x10
    *Keeping a strong grip on the bar after doing forearm curls is difficult. I may decide to switch shrugs with forearm curls later on..I'll experiment with it a bit.

Abs
    Salute Planks
    X-Planks
    Ab Lever

Thoughts

My elbow felt much better today but I held back on a few of the exercises to be safe. I'll just stay at my current weights for a couple more lifting sessions and then just see what happens from there once I increase my weights. I'll be resting up tomorrow which means more ice and more ibuprofen, but I don't think this will be a problem anymore. I caught it at a very early and relatively harmless stage so it's pretty easy to get rid of even while I'm still lifting. I may move back up to lifting 4x a week, at least for upper body, but only after I'm sure my arm is better.

I'm also going to get some pictures up here soon! I'm getting a camera for Christmas so in a couple days I'll be set. I'll take some new ones every month or 2 just to motivate myself. I think it'll be cool to see the progression over the months!

I'm getting much more flexible as well! I'm getting a little closer to a full split (still not near it but whatever) and now i can put my palms on the ground when I do the hangover stretch.
    Last edited by colinS3; 12-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Friday, December 24

Today is my rest day, but I did experiment with weighted chin ups using the bar in my doorway. It was hardly anything so it's no big deal.

Rest Day/Weighted Chin Up Experimentation

5 chin ups x BW + 10 lbs.

Rest 1 minute

5 chin ups x BW + 20 lbs.

Rest 1 minute

5 chin ups x BW +25 lbs.

Thoughts

I've never done weighted chin ups before so I figured I'd give it a go. Seeing how doing 20+ chin ups at once has probably played a big part in my very slight elbow tendonitis I think this is a better way to approach my chin up training. Maybe not this rep scheme, but the idea of actually doing weighted chin ups. Tomorrow I may try 2 sets of 10 x BW + 25 lbs. but we'll see...If my elbow feels fine then I think I'll go for it because thankfully I felt no discomfort with the 15 weighted chin ups I just did.

Sunday, December 26

I didn't workout on Christmas because the gym was obviously closed and even if it was open I wouldn't have been able to go because of family stuff, so I worked out today to make up for it. It was supposed to be my rest day but whatever, Christmas threw it off a little bit.

Seated Low Row
    180x12
    180x10

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    190x12
    190x10
    *I'll move up next time

2x35x10
    *I didn't do 12 on each hand to be safe again. I had good results, it doesn't look like the bicep curls are the source of my tendonitis. It's just the chin ups that I was doing in addition to my already tiring workout.

Hanging Leg Raises

Forearm Curls
    1x25 with upward curls
    1x25 with downward curls
    *Still easy, still planning on moving up soon.

Seated Calf Raises
    3x115x10
    *Excellent form, I'll move up soon.

Leg Press
    *Skipped out on this one today.

Back Extensions (free weight)
    1x BW + 25 lbs. x 15

105x12
    105x10

Pulldowns
    180x12
    180x10
    *Possibly moving up next time.

Squats
    1x135x12
    *Tiring. I'll explain in the Thoughts section.

Pec Fly (Machine)
    195x12
    195x10

Shrugs
    2x225x10
    *Solid sets.

Abs
    Salute Planks
    X-Planks
    Ab Lever

Thoughts

Today my body wasn't in the greatest shape but I managed to do all my sets fine by the end of it, but I almost left the gym. I woke up at 10:30pm, ate some food but had no drink, and by noon I was at the gym doing my routine. Since I had no water or anything I got really dehydrated pretty fast and after my squats I actually started getting tunnel vision. I sat down when it got really bad and rested up for a minute, then drank about a gallon of water from the drinking fountain. After that I was still tired but I was a lot less loopy so I finished the workout and everything was okay. I've gotta be smarter when it comes to hydrating though...it made me feel pretty ****ty today.

Tuesday, December 28

My elbow was feeling good today so I figured that I would pump a few exercises up. I also added lat raises...I couldn't help but add that after reading everything about lat raises a thread here.

Seated Low Row
    185x12
    185x8
    *Moved up 5 lbs.

Flat Barbell Bench Press
    195x12
    195x8
    *Moved up 5 lbs. and I needed a little help from a spotter on my 8th rep in my 2nd set but I'm pleased with those numbers.

35x12
    35x10
    *It's starting to get a little too easy, I think within the next week I'll move up to 37.5 lbs. for each arm.

Hanging Leg Raises

Forearm Curls
    1x25 with upward curls
    1x25 with downward curls
    *Moving up to 27.5 soon.

Seated Calf Raises
    2x115x10
    *Slower and more controlled this time around.

Leg Press
    2x290x10

Back Extensions (free weight)
    25lb. plate x 15

100x12

Pulldowns
    185x12
    185x8
    *Seeing how that's over 40 lbs. heavier than me it's almost harder to get myself down in the seat in the right position than the actual lifting...

Squats
    135x12
    135x10
    *Definitely went all the way down for each one, it went very well this time around.

Pec Fly (Machine)
    200x12
    200x8
    *Moved up 5 lbs. with this one too.

Shrugs
    225x10
    225x9
    *I used a lot better form this time around, but that just made it harder so I couldn't finish the last set unless i butchered the form of my last rep...I didn't wanna do that.

Lat Raises
    12 lbs dumbbells x 12
    12 lbs. dumbbells x 10
    *They make me feel weak when I look at the dumbbells, but they definitely work really well.

Abs
    Salute Planks
    X-Planks
    Bicycles

Thoughts

I felt much better today because I actually hydrated right. I moved up 5lbs. in weight with most of my heavier exercises and my others will soon follow. I'm starting to get bigger back muscles so I'm getting closer to the V shape, just gotta keep working at it. I'm excited to get my elbow all healed up so that I can start doing more weighted chin ups. I have a feeling weighted chin ups will help me a lot more than pulldowns and seated low rows when it comes to that V shape, but I'll just have to wait and see..

I got a camera for christmas so I'll probably try to get some progress pictures up by the end of tonight. I'll take a picture every month or 2 and just try to look at the improvement as I go on.
    Last edited by colinS3; 12-28-2010 at 03:47 PM.