Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any working Engineers/Engineering Students?

Any working Engineers/Engineering Students?

i'm currently in school for engineering. i don't have to pick which discipline i want to go into until my junior year, but i'm pretty sure i want to go either mechanical or chemical (possibly biochemical). which discipline do you do now (or are studying for) and what are some of your experiences?
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

just finished my biochemical engineering degree in may, i worked a lot in school too, almost 2 total years of experience. First job I got was working at BD as a production chemist, bad move they're all huge morons with over inflated egos and I was only making $19/hr. Now I work for the army doing R&D on obscurants, which involves absolutely no biology whatsoever but the people are way cooler to be around and I make $26.50/hr. I'm glad they didn't ask my gpa, it was pretty low, but whatever, I had to work, sometimes two jobs, sometimes at night. Something had to give. Personally I wouldn't do mechanical unless you are seriously passionate about it. I just did engineering for the money, and decided chemical was the best route for that.

So my logic is, healthcare is huge, so do biochemical, you could work for pharma, though they are huge gpa whores, its very competitive. Although, if you can't get a bio related job, you can work for traditional chemical engineering companies like bechtel or exxon if you wanted, though it may be difficult to get a pharma job with just a traditional chemical engineering degree nowadays. Just remember whatever you do, do it well. If you can get an internship at a company and like it I would recommend you try to keep it summer after summer and if possible work during the school year also and you are almost guaranteed to get hired out of college because they will know you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by dynamo; 11-21-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

More money in chem and biochem engineering. Work your butt off for a few years and you'll be pretty much set for life.

I majored in Civil Engineering and decided to get a job in construction management. I was losing interest in civil engineering and discovering construction management was a god-send.

Also make sure you take some business and econ classes. Making low 6 figures for most of your life is good but if you work hard and smart you can make 10x-1000x as much if you pursue and succeed in entrepreneurial endeavors. If you get a degree in chem engineering or biochem engineering then there's no doubt you have the potential...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

thanks guys! so can you pretty much get a chemE job with a biochemE degree? it seems like biochemE is a better way to go since it opens up more opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    thanks guys! so can you pretty much get a chemE job with a biochemE degree? it seems like biochemE is a better way to go since it opens up more opportunities.
    that was my thought process, just know how to sell yourself at the interview. Don't talk about mechanisms for the krebs cycle when you're interviewing for a nuclear engineering job lol.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    just know how to sell yourself at the interview.
    This cannot be stressed enough. If you are able to properly convey your potential value to a company, and you truly believe that you would be able to provide a lot of value to a company, then you will have very little issue landing a good job.

As for Biochem Engineer vs Chem Engineering I can't really comment. My school I don't think had Biochem Engineering but rather Biomedical Engineering and Chem Engineering as separate disciplines. I could be wrong though.

I'd say go with whichever seems more interesting to you. If you're doing what you love then the money will follow. You'd be making quite a bit more than your peers either way
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

definatly do what ever your most interested in as theres no point studying a course your not interested in just to end up in a job you hate even if the pay is good.

Im in my final year of automotive engineering. The only advice I can give is to try and do whatever will leave you with the most options when you finish and thus youll be open to more jobs.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Dr. Subtotal
    I'm finishing up my doctorate in Mechanical (propulsion/combustion emphasis). the value of a mechanical degree is great. you should have a good background on plenty of areas (mechanical side --> solid mechanics, structures, robotics... and thermal side --> fluids, thermo, heat transfer). students i graduated with have gone on to HVAC, automotive, defense, and government sectors. But with a mechanical degree (a BS), you can strive for a multitude of engineering disciplines as well (chemical, bioengineering, ag, oil/petro, biomedical, etc). Couple a ME degree with a FE or an MBA and you're set. Even if you're laid off for some unknown reason, the market for a ME is always high. Or you could go the MS/Phd route and look into research/academia/development fields
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Degree in Electrical. What I do has very little or anything to do with electrical engineering. I work as an engineer for a medical company designing and manufacturing x-ray tubes. What we do is far more manufacturing and process engineering. We have chem/mech/electrical working here.
    Nick V

thanks for all the replies guys! how was the coursework in college? i plan to either keep going for a masters, maybe just work for a while once i get my BS (ill be about 30 once i graduate, so i might just want to get started on my career), but im also thinking about going into med school afterward. the only thing im worried about is i know most med schools won't even look at you if you dont have a 3.5+ gpa and i know engineering is one of the hardest areas of study for undergrad. did you guys find it hard to maintain a good gpa?

Nerds.

Where is Ogre when I need him?
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

thanks for all the replies guys! how was the coursework in college? i plan to either keep going for a masters, maybe just work for a while once i get my BS (ill be about 30 once i graduate, so i might just want to get started on my career), but im also thinking about going into med school afterward. the only thing im worried about is i know most med schools won't even look at you if you dont have a 3.5+ gpa and i know engineering is one of the hardest areas of study for undergrad. did you guys find it hard to maintain a good gpa?
    i know engineers that got into med school with sub 3.0 GPA. Its all about supply and demand brah, plus as an engineer you'll be able to think, while those who majored in something like biology, generally can only recite. Course load was redonk, once junior year hit I slept very little and studied when I could.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

the only thing im worried about is i know most med schools won't even look at you if you dont have a 3.5+ gpa and i know engineering is one of the hardest areas of study for undergrad. did you guys find it hard to maintain a good gpa?
    Trust me the people who look at applicants for medical school know that the course load in engineering is a lot more difficult than most other disciplines. They very much take that into account when looking at GPA.

As for course load I will say this and I know there will be plenty of people who might attack me for this but... I found that the large majority of classmates in my engineering classes copied off each other and cheated fairly often. Not "writing notes on your Coke can" cheat but lots of essays from one class being used for another, decent amount of plagiarism, etc. Then again I was in Civil Engineering and I feel like we had more party-going people than some of the other disciplines. Definitely don't get caught though! And if you talk to your academic advisor and teachers often you will find that you coincidentally won't fail out of your classes.

The two biggest things that killed my GPA (don't matter now, I have a good job anyway and am a good employee) were that a.) I had the misfortune of finding out early on that hardly any of the stuff I learned in class would actually be needed once I was working (don't know if most eng disciplines are like this or not), so that killed my motivation to go to class, and b.) my sleep patterns were horrendous. Learn to get plenty of sleep and be able to get up early if possible. Don't let your partying or socializing interfere with your actual classes.

PS Also be careful with credit cards. The more I look back on my years in college the more I realize how much of a **** up I was. I guess I had to get a good scare for me to snap out of my stupidity.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Trust me the people who look at applicants for medical school know that the course load in engineering is a lot more difficult than most other disciplines. They very much take that into account when looking at GPA.

As for course load I will say this and I know there will be plenty of people who might attack me for this but... I found that the large majority of classmates in my engineering classes copied off each other and cheated fairly often. Not "writing notes on your Coke can" cheat but lots of essays from one class being used for another, decent amount of plagiarism, etc. Then again I was in Civil Engineering and I feel like we had more party-going people than some of the other disciplines. Definitely don't get caught though! And if you talk to your academic advisor and teachers often you will find that you coincidentally won't fail out of your classes.

The two biggest things that killed my GPA (don't matter now, I have a good job anyway and am a good employee) were that a.) I had the misfortune of finding out early on that hardly any of the stuff I learned in class would actually be needed once I was working (don't know if most eng disciplines are like this or not), so that killed my motivation to go to class, and b.) my sleep patterns were horrendous. Learn to get plenty of sleep and be able to get up early if possible. Don't let your partying or socializing interfere with your actual classes.

PS Also be careful with credit cards. The more I look back on my years in college the more I realize how much of a **** up I was. I guess I had to get a good scare for me to snap out of my stupidity.
    i hear you on talking to teachers and such. i always tell my buddies that are on the verge of failing a class to ask/answer questions in class (even if they have no idea what theyre talking about) and meet with the teacher afterward. when a teacher knows you by name and sees that your trying its an easy way to crank up your grade by a few points (most of the time).

as for partying, im in my mid 20's and have done enough partying in my earlier years that would make ozzy osbourne turn his head (maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but u get my point) , so all thats out of my system at this point. thanks for all the comments guys

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Nerds.

Where is Ogre when I need him?

I am a Packaging Engineer and have never struggled to find a job, in fact I had companies calling me prior to graduating. It's an extremely high demand field with not many applicants since the number of schools that offer it in the US is 6, with 3 being the most popular and having an accredited program (MSU, Clemson, UW-Stout). I currently work for Home Depot in ATL and am with a team of 6 other Packaging Engineers.

Oh....and the money in this field is awesome!
    I eat slow moving children

Weak Mofo
    I'm not an engineer, but I do alot of mechanical work for engineers. And let me tell you, I've only met a handful of intellegent mechanical engineers in the last four years. I do commercial mechanical work, basically anything mechanical in any kind of commercial setting, boilers mainly, but also pumps, water heaters, air handlers, cooling towers, chillers, heat exchangers, and kind of plumbing, system design, troubleshooting, etc. It's very rare that you meet a certified building mechanical engineer that even knows how to work his own equipment or has the slightest clue about how his system works. But hey, I don't mind; I call it job security. Great example is my cousin actually. He used to work for the same company that I am working for. He got fired for having an Obama sticker on his work van that he refused to take off. I dont support Obama but the owner of the company is a huge republican and actually fired my cousin because of an Obama sticker. Anyways, a year later now, and he has a chief engineer position with control of ten employees. And he doesn't know a damn thing.

I'm currently taking classes to get my journeyman's electricians lisence. I have to take four years of classes and they're easy beyond belief. I've already learned everything they can teach me through work experience, but I don't have the required years of experience to skip the classes and just sit for the test. Bummer.

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but I'm a sophomore in high school looking into engineering. My school has an engineering program through Project Lead The Way. So far I've taken Pre-Engineering Design and I'm currently in Principles of Engineering. I'm not sure what, if any, classes will be added to this department after this year. If there is none, then I'll probably take the other 2nd year engineering course, even though it relates more to technology/computers/etc (not my type, I prefer more hands-on building, but I'd like it better than other classes). I'm also trying to take as many AP classes as possible, specifically in math and science, and hopefully find an open slot in my schedule to take Physics. Our physics teacher is one of the best in the state, if not country, and his class is a good idea of what grade you'll make in college.

And this year I was nominated to attend a one-week conference in Washington, D.C. for the National Youth Leadership Foundation based on my academic and extracurricular achievements, most of it touring the city and listening to speeches from various Senators and speakers from the House of Representatives. It's possible to get scholarships and college credit through certain schools. However, due to personal and financial reasons, I doubt I'll be attending.

I was also thinking about going into chemical engineering. My parents said they'll put me through college no matter what, but it would help me greatly if I could get a good scholarship. I was wondering how much these types of classes would help me in getting a scholarship? Last year I got a 4.0 GPA, and this year I think it's running at about a 3.6 because of football and missing a week of school for my knee surgery. But I should be able to pull it up by the end of the school year.

My mom also mentioned that colleges like it when you have classes such as debate. I took beginning debate last year and me and my partner took 1st place in our meet out of about 30 partners. I'm thinking about taking advanced debate next year. Does anyone know anything about this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry again for hijacking the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    What's a cut?

Quote Originally Posted by TremL96 View Post
    Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but I'm a sophomore in high school looking into engineering. My school has an engineering program through Project Lead The Way. So far I've taken Pre-Engineering Design and I'm currently in Principles of Engineering. I'm not sure what, if any, classes will be added to this department after this year. If there is none, then I'll probably take the other 2nd year engineering course, even though it relates more to technology/computers/etc (not my type, I prefer more hands-on building, but I'd like it better than other classes). I'm also trying to take as many AP classes as possible, specifically in math and science, and hopefully find an open slot in my schedule to take Physics. Our physics teacher is one of the best in the state, if not country, and his class is a good idea of what grade you'll make in college.

And this year I was nominated to attend a one-week conference in Washington, D.C. for the National Youth Leadership Foundation based on my academic and extracurricular achievements, most of it touring the city and listening to speeches from various Senators and speakers from the House of Representatives. It's possible to get scholarships and college credit through certain schools. However, due to personal and financial reasons, I doubt I'll be attending.

I was also thinking about going into chemical engineering. My parents said they'll put me through college no matter what, but it would help me greatly if I could get a good scholarship. I was wondering how much these types of classes would help me in getting a scholarship? Last year I got a 4.0 GPA, and this year I think it's running at about a 3.6 because of football and missing a week of school for my knee surgery. But I should be able to pull it up by the end of the school year.

My mom also mentioned that colleges like it when you have classes such as debate. I took beginning debate last year and me and my partner took 1st place in our meet out of about 30 partners. I'm thinking about taking advanced debate next year. Does anyone know anything about this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry again for hijacking the thread.
    Sounds like you're on the right track bro, things like debate are awesome because they get you comfortable with public speaking. Every engineering class had me giving at least one PowerPoint presentation a semester usually more. Keep your GPA for the scholarships and definitely keep the extra curricular stuff too colleges want a well rounded student not a hermit with a knack for science. If you can bring the whole package you'll get plenty of scholarships. Also do your damn research on scholarships. I found out too late that I could've gotten a scholarship because my dad was in the military you might be able to get one because you wipe your ass upside down on Wednesdays so be proactive, resilient, and consistent in your applications for college and scholarships.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Sounds like you're on the right track bro, things like debate are awesome because they get you comfortable with public speaking. Every engineering class had me giving at least one PowerPoint presentation a semester usually more. Keep your GPA for the scholarships and definitely keep the extra curricular stuff too colleges want a well rounded student not a hermit with a knack for science. If you can bring the whole package you'll get plenty of scholarships. Also do your damn research on scholarships. I found out too late that I could've gotten a scholarship because my dad was in the military you might be able to get one because you wipe your ass upside down on Wednesdays so be proactive, resilient, and consistent in your applications for college and scholarships.
    Thanks man. I do get kinda nervous public speaking some, but in debate there was only a handful of people in the room, and I was 100% sure about the stuff that I said. And do you have any reccomendations on how to do research on scholarships? Or would the best way be just to talk to my guidance counselor at school?
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    What's a cut?

Dr. Subtotal
    The coursework is demanding so try to group similar classes together in the same semester. For instance I took Intro to Combustion and Internal Combustion Engines in the same semester and though both had their own tests/homeworks/projects, the equations carried over from both so it took less time to read through books and apply.

I'd veer away from a Master's. Many master's students I know are only offered jobs where they essentially want you to do Master's work for a Bachelor's pay. If you're set on not doing a Phd, I'd really look into Med School, Law (Patent Law = $), or an MBA with your bachelors.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I have a degree in Industrial Engineering and concentrated in Manufacturing Processes. I've done classic industrial engineering (boring), product design and development (challenging but fun) and have been a manufacturing process engineer for 3 different companies. Right now I am the director of manufacturing engineering and quality for my company. When I was in school I tried to take a lot of courses in different disciplines so I would be well-rounded (this is how I got a design job without an ME degree). This meant semesters with up to 21 credits and Saturday courses and summer and winter courses, but it was worth it. The design background makes it easier for me to deal with engineers and to help them to design products for manufacturability.

I would say go with your strengths, but try to give yourself a broad base of knowledge. Most of what you learn is going to be on the job, so make yourself attractive to prospective employers, and get as much work experience as you can before you leave school.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Course load can be immense in the harder engineering degrees. 50-60 hours of school work wasn't uncommon in my EE program. Now I do process/quality/manufacturing engineering mostly. Probably going to go back and get an MBA next August.
    Nick V

Banned
    MBA is a waste of time unless its from a top tier school... probably the most overrated degree in existence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshog View Post
    I am a Packaging Engineer and have never struggled to find a job, in fact I had companies calling me prior to graduating. It's an extremely high demand field with not many applicants since the number of schools that offer it in the US is 6, with 3 being the most popular and having an accredited program (MSU, Clemson, UW-Stout). I currently work for Home Depot in ATL and am with a team of 6 other Packaging Engineers.

Oh....and the money in this field is awesome!
    No kidding? I'm a Clemson packaging alum.... Small world. Not many packaging gurus out there really