Thread: 14 Year old Weight Lifting

Wannabebig New Member

14 Year old Weight Lifting

Im a fourteen year old that wants to start weight lifting. I dont believe it will stunt my growth as long as I dont push myself. For the past month I have been doing 20 reps and 5 sets of bicep curls with 15 pound dumbbells. I have also been doing 5 reps of 3 sets of triceps exercises. Is this to much for myself if so what should I be doing to weight lift and not stunt my growth. Any help will be appreciated.

That's the same age I started working out. I was a freshman in HS and I was training for football.

What exactly are your goals? Do you want to start competing in powerlifting, bodybuilding or something along those lines?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Gamer/Lifter
    Stop doing curls, and start doing squats, dead lifts, and the occasional bench press.

On the squat go to 90 degrees or lower, and on dead lifts your shins should hurt. On benchpress the bar needs to touch your chest.

Lifting won't stunt your growth, it'll just make you stronger.

O yea and curls are useless.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Go to the weight trainging section in the forum. Explain you are 14 yrs old and here are my goals. Ask what program you should start based on the goals you have.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Im a fourteen year old that wants to start weight lifting. I dont believe it will stunt my growth as long as I dont push myself. For the past month I have been doing 20 reps and 5 sets of bicep curls with 15 pound dumbbells. I have also been doing 5 reps of 3 sets of triceps exercises. Is this to much for myself if so what should I be doing to weight lift and not stunt my growth. Any help will be appreciated.
    This is a common mistake for new comers. Curls, curls curls, with the occasional triceps and chest thrown in. You should be doing squats, dead lifts, bench press, and pull ups to get a good base. These core exercises are a good start and will get you going.
    Thank the Lord for everything.

http://www.weight-lifting-info.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    That's the same age I started working out. I was a freshman in HS and I was training for football.

What exactly are your goals? Do you want to start competing in powerlifting, bodybuilding or something along those lines?
    Well actually I don't really have a goal. My coach and all my friends say I have a big build and I should begin working out because Im a little overweight Im 5,12 and around 170 pounds. I have always wanted to push my body and increase my health so weight lifting has always been something I wanted to do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to improve my physique and build so that I look a little better and I also am trying out for my school football team

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by salvo91 View Post
    This is a common mistake for new comers. Curls, curls curls, with the occasional triceps and chest thrown in. You should be doing squats, dead lifts, bench press, and pull ups to get a good base. These core exercises are a good start and will get you going.
    I dont really have the equipment or knowledge to perform these exercises thats the problem

What equipment do you have access to?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What equipment do you have access to?
    Only 2 dumbbells which are 15 pounds

That's pretty limiting for a proper lifting routine. You'll have to join a gym or buy more equipment if you want to go very far with weightlifting or bodybuilding. Until then, you should find a way to be able to do bar dips and pull-ups. Those will be your best bets for upper body strength. For lower body strength, you could try doing lunges, split squats, and step-ups. But those dumbbells will get pretty light very quickly. You could also make a sandbag and perform various movements with it; like cleans and press, squats, rows, carries, etc
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Lol.. maybe this will help.

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/t...rkout-program/

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/c...-for-fat-loss/
    Check out the dumbell routine on this if you are trying to cut some fat from your body. But like Off Road said those will get very light very quickly. Also try out the body weight complexes. As previously stated you will have to get a little creative as far as equipment goes.
    Last edited by boredguy09; 12-20-2010 at 04:07 AM.