Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86

Thread: 124 days out from first competition

  1. #1
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0

    124 days out from first competition

    So I decided to go for it. April 16th will be my first show ever, the NPC Iowa State/Central States. That's about 17.5 weeks from now. I'm going to keep a pic log from here until the show.

    I'm working with Alex Azarian, beginning at the 16 week mark so I dont have to worry about ****. Just listen and do exactly as he says. He's done a lot of national level shows and prepped many guys, all coming in shredded to the bone. I expect him to do the same for me.

    Here's what I've done since mid October, the second pic is from a few days ago. First pic I weigh around 235, second pic is closer to 218...

    2months.jpg



    My diet is as follows

    Meal 1: 1 cup oats, 3 scoops protein
    Meal 2: 10 oz. steak, 4 oz. jasmine rice
    Meal 3: 10 oz. chicken, 4 oz. jasmine rice
    Meal 4: Same as 2
    Meal 5: Same as 3
    Meal 6: 2 scoops protein, handful of almonds

    Been eating this the past 2 months. Sometimes I'll eat something other than rice (bread, tortilla, mashed potatoes, etc) but the amount is all the same.

    Usually eating 1-2 cheat meals a week. Unfortunately that will have to come to an end here pretty soon...

    My focus is to get as absolutely shredded as possible. Size is something I dont have so theres no changing that at this point...
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 12-13-2010 at 11:09 AM.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  2. #2
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    In on this for sure.

    I'll try to make it to the show if im free.

  3. #3
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,712
    Vascular!! I know cameras don't show it very well but I can for sure tell your are a lot more vascular, especially in the legs. Not to mention the pelvic veins. Looks like you're well on your way. That's one hell of a frame to fill out.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    How tall are you?

  5. #5
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    In on this for sure.

    I'll try to make it to the show if im free.
    Hell yea bro, if you're in the area that'd be cool to meet someone from the boards.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Vascular!! I know cameras don't show it very well but I can for sure tell your are a lot more vascular, especially in the legs. Not to mention the pelvic veins. Looks like you're well on your way. That's one hell of a frame to fill out.
    You're right, my legs are pretty damn vascular right now, more so than they've ever been. And yeah, my frame sucks, my arms and legs are so damn long its going to take years of growing to to fill them out, if they ever fill out...

    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    How tall are you?
    6'2.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post

    You're right, my legs are pretty damn vascular right now, more so than they've ever been. And yeah, my frame sucks, my arms and legs are so damn long its going to take years of growing to to fill them out, if they ever fill out...



    6'2.
    Your legs are impressive and yes I know how it feels to have a ridiculously hard frame to fill out.

  7. #7
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    huge difference, especially in the legs.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  8. #8
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,712
    I like to sing this when I get vascular haha.

    Video
    Last edited by ThomasG; 12-13-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    jay, looking great. you have a great setup going here and i'm looking forward to seeing the results!

  10. #10
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,320
    Awesome jay. Link us to the log
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  11. #11
    Cutting some beef DavyRen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gateshead, UK
    Posts
    0
    looking great Jay, i'll be keeping an eye on your progress over the next few months I can't even imagine what you are going to look like in that time.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

    Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

    With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members


    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    Jay how are you going to structure your lifting??

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    How is the cutting diet influencing your mental well being? I read a few guys journals and seems like at least a couple of them have gone off the deep end a little bit . Just curious is all because one of these days I am going to have to do it...in about 30 pounds.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Phenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,062
    Looking lean man. Do you know your bf% in the first pic?
    Age: 23 - Weight: 237 lbs - Height: 6'1''

    S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

    "Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

  15. #15
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,320
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    How is the cutting diet influencing your mental well being? I read a few guys journals and seems like at least a couple of them have gone off the deep end a little bit . Just curious is all because one of these days I am going to have to do it...in about 30 pounds.
    I'm sure he's fine now. Ask him that in 2 or 3 more months.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  16. #16
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Awesome jay. Link us to the log
    Currently I have no log man, just this... I've been so damn bombarded between my two jobs and the gym that I don't think I'd have enough free time to keep it updated.

    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRen View Post
    looking great Jay, i'll be keeping an eye on your progress over the next few months I can't even imagine what you are going to look like in that time.
    Thanks DR, we'll see what my body is capable of

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Jay how are you going to structure your lifting??
    Right now I'm doing a 5 day split- legs, shoulders, back, chest, and arms. I've been going mon-fri with weekends off but I think I'm going to change it up to 2 on 1 off to hopefully speed up recovery. Big body parts get 4 exercises, 2 working sets each, and smaller body parts like bi's and tri's get 2 exercises. I have been curious lately tho if I wouldn't benefit more from working each body part twice a week with less volume each workout... Who knows...

    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    How is the cutting diet influencing your mental well being? I read a few guys journals and seems like at least a couple of them have gone off the deep end a little bit . Just curious is all because one of these days I am going to have to do it...in about 30 pounds.
    Like behemoth said, I'm not far enough in for this to be getting to my head yet. The past two months if I've been craving something really really bad I just give in. The true diet will begin in a week with absolutely no cheating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Looking lean man. Do you know your bf% in the first pic?
    I have no idea, your guess is as good as mine bro. Never measured it before...

    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I'm sure he's fine now. Ask him that in 2 or 3 more months.
    Dude, is that a recent pic in your avatar? Looking ****ing solid!!


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  17. #17
    Super Moderator RBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    0
    Jay, you are looking very good, my friend. Lean already and legs, as always, are a standout. They somewhat overpower your upper body, but you've got plenty of time to work on that later on. Strucuturally speaking, I think you could add a ton of mass and still keep your lines....you've got the height and a long torso to do this. I could see you competing in the superheavies in a few years. Good luck man, I'm sure Alex will bring you in shredded. I've never seen him bring anybody in in less than perfect condition. Looking forward to tracking your progress.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  18. #18
    Continuing... Time+Patience's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,702
    Looking very sharp, and it looks like you could be doing a contest earlier than mid April. I reallly don't see how much more weight you could drop? Do you plan on cruising from here on out?

    Your lats taper out very well and you have solid sweep to your quads.

    When you get the time post more pictures as it speaks more for your overall development.

    What made you start dieting down when you got to 235? It looks like you could have tried to gain for another 2 months and then start your contest prep. Did you have plans to compete the whole time?

    yes, lots of questions.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

    Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

  19. #19
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Jay, you are looking very good, my friend. Lean already and legs, as always, are a standout. They somewhat overpower your upper body, but you've got plenty of time to work on that later on. Strucuturally speaking, I think you could add a ton of mass and still keep your lines....you've got the height and a long torso to do this. I could see you competing in the superheavies in a few years. Good luck man, I'm sure Alex will bring you in shredded. I've never seen him bring anybody in in less than perfect condition. Looking forward to tracking your progress.
    Thanks man. I've never really thought my legs were that far ahead of my upper body, but ****, I'd rather have it this way than tiny legs haha. Superheavies would be amazing, but I have yet to figure out how I can add that type of size. I've tried a few different things... Higher carbs, higher fats, higher protein in different combinations. Higher dosages... Heavy weights, high volume, low voume, blah blah. Regardless of what I do to get bigger, its soooooooo slow, and if I up my overall cals a lot I just get fat along with the new growth... I need to hire someone who specializes specifically in adding size.. I wish Dante was willing but it seems like he only works with a very limited amount of people these days. What hes done with Dusty Hanshaw in just a couple years has been amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Looking very sharp, and it looks like you could be doing a contest earlier than mid April. I reallly don't see how much more weight you could drop? Do you plan on cruising from here on out?

    Your lats taper out very well and you have solid sweep to your quads.

    When you get the time post more pictures as it speaks more for your overall development.

    What made you start dieting down when you got to 235? It looks like you could have tried to gain for another 2 months and then start your contest prep. Did you have plans to compete the whole time?

    yes, lots of questions.
    Hey TP, I have a lot more weight to drop I think... Probably 20 lbs when all is said and done. I'm lean now, but not THAT lean. I want to suffer the least amount as possible so I started lean. My focus is solely on conditioning... I know I couldn't have added much more size after I hit 235. I hadn't been that heavy in awhile and once my body gets to a certain point I just basically stop growing and I just get fat. And yes, this was the plan all along. I did Alex's "offseason" diet plan he set up for me for 2 months to get prepared for his "prep" diet. Here are a few pics of himself and his competitors. Looking at these, I have a lot more fat to lose.









    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  20. #20
    Super Moderator RBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Thanks man. I've never really thought my legs were that far ahead of my upper body, but ****, I'd rather have it this way than tiny legs haha. Superheavies would be amazing, but I have yet to figure out how I can add that type of size. I've tried a few different things... Higher carbs, higher fats, higher protein in different combinations. Higher dosages... Heavy weights, high volume, low voume, blah blah. Regardless of what I do to get bigger, its soooooooo slow, and if I up my overall cals a lot I just get fat along with the new growth... I need to hire someone who specializes specifically in adding size.. I wish Dante was willing but it seems like he only works with a very limited amount of people these days. What hes done with Dusty Hanshaw in just a couple years has been amazing.
    I don't think they're that far ahead, just a little bit. You have a nice flow....they just always jump out to me. I hear you, man, Dante would be an awesome guy to hire, but as you mentioned, he doesn't really take guys on anymore. What he did with Dusty in just a couple years is pretty insane. Alex is a great prep guy, but IMO, probably not a good guy to help you put on the size. His specialty seems to be getting guys shredded. One thing I have noticed, though, with both him and his trainees is that they never seem to put on any significant amounts of muscle in the off season. I think he is too focused on staying lean.

    Have you thought about Shelby or Phil for an offseason program? Shelby has made some very big improvements over the last couple of years. I think he could put together a pretty good program for you.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  21. #21
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,320
    Wow, he works cheap. But I thought dusty was coached by chris aceto last year?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  22. #22
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    I don't think they're that far ahead, just a little bit. You have a nice flow....they just always jump out to me. I hear you, man, Dante would be an awesome guy to hire, but as you mentioned, he doesn't really take guys on anymore. What he did with Dusty in just a couple years is pretty insane. Alex is a great prep guy, but IMO, probably not a good guy to help you put on the size. His specialty seems to be getting guys shredded. One thing I have noticed, though, with both him and his trainees is that they never seem to put on any significant amounts of muscle in the off season. I think he is too focused on staying lean.

    Have you thought about Shelby or Phil for an offseason program? Shelby has made some very big improvements over the last couple of years. I think he could put together a pretty good program for you.
    Damn, I forgot all about Shelby... You're definitely right about the recent size he's put on... He ****ing blew up! And Phil, well I personally think he's a scumbag. Anyone I know who's worked with him said hes a joke. Cookie cutter bs, nothing is personalized. His first recommendation is to buy his crappy LBA's. Glycerol and protein... Big deal. He occasionally writes something worth reading over on Pro M, but from what I can tell he doesnt give a rats ass about this sport anymore. He's only in it for the money.

    Oh and you're right on as far as Alex goes... I didnt add any size working with him.. Even after telling him thats all I cared about, he didn't change much at all as far as my diet. And I don't think it was because he doesnt care or is lazy, I just don't think he KNOWS how to put size on guys. I mean he hasn't changed much at all at Nationals the past few years...


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  23. #23
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Wow, he works cheap. But I thought dusty was coached by chris aceto last year?
    Yeah, I think Aceto did his diet leading up to Nationals but Dusty gave Dante credit for all of his offseason growth.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  24. #24
    Super Moderator RBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Damn, I forgot all about Shelby... You're definitely right about the recent size he's put on... He ****ing blew up! And Phil, well I personally think he's a scumbag. Anyone I know who's worked with him said hes a joke. Cookie cutter bs, nothing is personalized. His first recommendation is to buy his crappy LBA's. Glycerol and protein... Big deal. He occasionally writes something worth reading over on Pro M, but from what I can tell he doesnt give a rats ass about this sport anymore. He's only in it for the money.

    Oh and you're right on as far as Alex goes... I didnt add any size working with him.. Even after telling him thats all I cared about, he didn't change much at all as far as my diet. And I don't think it was because he doesnt care or is lazy, I just don't think he KNOWS how to put size on guys. I mean he hasn't changed much at all at Nationals the past few years...
    I agree, bro. Alex really doesn't seem to know how to put any size on. He has looked exactly the same for years now. No knock on him, though. He looks great and there's nothing wrong with staying lean. I just think there are better guys out there for an off season program.

    Send cphafner a PM. I know he worked with Shelby for a few months last year and was pretty pleased with the results. He put on a good amount of size while he was working with him. Yeah, I hear ya on Phil. His only advice seems to be drink LBA's and eat only when hungry....which, for me, would not work at all. I don't even think I could maintain weight like that. I do find his approach towards training interesting, though. Very low volume, high frequency.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  25. #25
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Have you thought about Phil for an offseason program?
    This is the only poor advice I've ever seen you give on here, LOL.

    I went through Phil and it was honestly the biggest mistake I've made with money and to this day, I get angry when I think about it. He was a complete jackass, had the writing of a 10 year old and like you said, pushed his LBAs on you and told you to only eat when hungry... which was ******ed and wouldn't work for many people. When I asked ANY questions, he'd become very angry and never answer any of them.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Similar Threads

  1. My 3 1/2 month bulk, 124-151
    By rtrose in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 10:50 PM
  2. Eric Lilliebridge- Final bench workout before competition in 10 days
    By elilliebridge in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 12:42 PM
  3. 27 days left - routine help please - 1st competition
    By Bob in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 10:24 AM
  4. Cheat Days? Better on Training Days or on Off Days?
    By Mic Soloist in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
  5. If I do cardio on Off Days, will those days still count as Off Days?
    By fixationdarknes in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •