Thread: Incorporating Myo-Reps Idea For Autoregulation

Wannabebig Member

Incorporating Myo-Reps Idea For Autoregulation

In addition to autoregulating via ramping sets, does anyone think it would be a good idea to autoregulate the cluster sets, similar to myo-reps? In other words if you do the 3 clusters of 2 and feel like you can do more, then continue clustering until you hit an RPE of 9 or 10. And if you get a 9 or 10 on the first or second clusters, just stop there.

Any opinions?

I made the program a little more concrete and not as variable because I felt that it would be better to track progress this way, but now I'm wondering if I'm using too many ramping sets, or if I'm not making big enough jumps.
    You asked this in your previous thread - would adding another layer of complexity realy help you? You were struggling to track progress as it was, would rating perceived exertion not confuse the issue?

As for whether it's a good idea - I had this exchange with the creator of Myo-reps,Blade not long ago -

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Periodization

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not so much worried about complexity.

I'm making good weight increases now so I know this program is working, but I ask this just out of curiosity. The field of nutrition and exercise is my major and where my career is heading so I like knowing as much as I can about whatever program I'm doing and if there are any ways to make it better or not, whether I will actually implement them in my training or not. To me it's all just a learning experience.

But thanks for the response, I'll definitely look over that thread you posted.

Well in that case, feel free to ask away, the exchange linked should give you an idea, but in reality, this sort of thing is hard to quantify, too many possible outcomes in any given workout with auto-regulation of both work sets and clusters; what do you think?

Wannabebig Member
    I think in theory it sounds like a good idea. You get autoregulation of load through the ramping sets and autoregulation of the volume with the working weight via the clusters.

However, in practice it seems that if you hit your true 6RM, 3 sets of clusters is just right. Occasionally I'll hit my 6RM and then only get 1 or 2 sets of clusters out and then fail after the first rep on the 2nd or 3rd cluster, so I usually stop if that happens. I guess technically this is a form of the autoregulation of cluster sets.

I also really liked Blade's idea of a back off set to max reps, but it's pretty hard to stop yourself from getting too close to failure. If I'm trying to hit a PR, I'll push closer to failure and then the back off set would just be too much.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, you will have to pace yourself on the back-off set, but if you reduce the load by 20-30% it's more metabolic fatigue that ends the set and shouldn't really impact your recovery as much as the heavy clusters. I still prefer to keep a rep in the tank, that extra grindy rep to failure isn't adding as much to the growth stimulus as it's subtracting to the recovery process.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_MyR View Post
    Yeah, you will have to pace yourself on the back-off set, but if you reduce the load by 20-30% it's more metabolic fatigue that ends the set and shouldn't really impact your recovery as much as the heavy clusters. I still prefer to keep a rep in the tank, that extra grindy rep to failure isn't adding as much to the growth stimulus as it's subtracting to the recovery process.
    What Blade said. Doesn't get much better than that Berzinator, answers on two programs from their respective creators.

Wannabebig Member
    Hahaha, very true! Thanks a lot for your input. I'm considering trying the back off set, but right now I'm making gains as I said earlier, so I'm only gonna add the back off set when I need to. No need to add it now if I'm progressing, but it might be a good way to break a plateau later on.

Edit: wrong topic
    Last edited by View 1; 12-14-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.