The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Bear Complex"

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar

"Bear Complex"

I used these as a warm-up for my training session the other day and was curious if anyone here ever does them? If there is interest perhaps we could set up some type of forum contest or challenge, to see who can perform the most reps with a given weight in 1-2 minutes or to simply see who can perform the heaviest 'bear complex'.

- Power Clean
    - Front Squat
    - Push Press
    - Back Squat
    - BTN Jerk

Here is an example:

Video
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Yes. I do them light though for conditioning. This would make a great competition. I'd have to start working on my push press.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

thats weird, i was just reading something last night where the guy was talking about a bear complex and i had no idea what he was talking about. now i know. i do something somewhat similar to this for warming up, SLDL into row into front squat into push press.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Yes. I do them light though for conditioning. This would make a great competition. I'd have to start working on my push press.
    Glad to hear that you like the contest idea. I was thinking either weight for max, or reps with something in the range of 135-185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    thats weird, i was just reading something last night where the guy was talking about a bear complex and i had no idea what he was talking about. now i know. i do something somewhat similar to this for warming up, SLDL into row into front squat into push press.
    That sounds like a good warm-up 'complex' as well.

My shoulders will not allow for the behind the neck stuff. They barely allow for the front .

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    My shoulders will not allow for the behind the neck stuff. They barely allow for the front .
    You could do an alternative complex with similar movements just no BTN movements.

- Power Clean
    - Front Squat
    - Push Press
    - Front Squat
    - Push Press

I guess this would be somewhat similar to a "thruster".

Wannabebig Member
    I do a very similar complex as a general warm-up. Except I typically only use the bar and I incorporate more movements; snatch> overhead squat > hang clean > press > 1-leg roman > row. It has actually become my general warm-up, my active recovery workout and by adding some plates my cardio too.

It's a great complex and I like the idea of a competition...

Maybe something such as: Sub-200lbs guys do 135# max reps in 5 min. 200lbs+ guys do 185# max reps in 5 min. Then have a max weight contest of a single complex.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 12-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post

Maybe something such as: Sub-200lbs guys do 135# max reps in 5 min. 200lbs+ guys do 185# max reps in 5 min. Then have a max weight contest of a single complex.
    This would be better for us little folk
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

If I recall Tom posted a video before of him doing this complex with quite a bit of weight.

This is a very good idea for a challenge too.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Max weight is basically whatever you can BTN push press.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Banned
    haha i might screw around with this this weekend during our training...maybe i'll try for a big number or something stupid.

Looks fun though, maybe i need to do this for some conditioning on off-training days with like 135 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I can push press much more than I can clean. Probably due to piss poor technique/lack of training the clean.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Hey, i'm very intrigued by this, can this be used for multiple purposes? Do you only use it as a warm-up? etc
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post

I am thinking more along the lines of (2) or (2.5) minutes as a five minute challenge would be more focused on endurance rather than strength or strength/endurance, and would also make for a lot of long videos. The two or two and a half minute time limit would still give trainees the opportunity to perform at least 10 repetitions and I do not think that there are many guys who can go all-out for more than two minutes.

The weight categories sound good to me.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    This is a very good idea for a challenge too.
    Glad to hear that you like the idea.

From what I have seen most people can BTN Press/Jerk more than they can Push Press/Jerk. There is actually a video on YouTube of Jesse Marunde BTN Jerking 500 lbs, and his best Push Pres/Jerk was probably around 400 lbs.

Depending on the background of the lifter I would say that a lot of people will probably be limited by the Power Clean, but for the rep challenge the pressing is most likely where individuals will start to run out of steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Hey, i'm very intrigued by this, can this be used for multiple purposes? Do you only use it as a warm-up? etc
    The complex could be used as a warm-up, for conditioning, or for strength/strength endurance.

One of the nice things about a complex like this is that it requires the lifter to be fairly well rounded and coordinated. It could work well for athletes who are looking for a balanced movement and do not have a lot of time to spend in the gym.

I think that us 212-pound guys with long arms and legs are going to get smoked.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I may try a 2 min max with 135 for fun on Thursday. If I do I'll post the vid in here.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    From what I have seen most people can BTN Press/Jerk more than they can Push Press/Jerk. There is actually a video on YouTube of Jesse Marunde BTN Jerking 500 lbs, and his best Push Pres/Jerk was probably around 400 lbs.

Depending on the background of the lifter I would say that a lot of people will probably be limited by the Power Clean, but for the rep challenge the pressing is most likely where individuals will start to run out of steam.
    Must just be me then. I can generate pathetic power from that angle. I've had a pretty bad shoulder history injury wise so BTN movements have never been a part of my routine.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Must just be me then. I can generate pathetic power from that angle. I've had a pretty bad shoulder history injury wise so BTN movements have never been a part of my routine.
    A lot of people who cannot do any BTN pressing can still BTN jerk quite a bit of weight since it is a lot easier to incorporate leg drive with the BTN movement (most people can back squat more than they can front squat and the energy transfer is better with the bar across your traps). Once you get a hang of the technique there really is not much pressing unless you hit a sticking point near lockout.

Went for a new PR tonight...

Video

^^ Wow freaking impressive.

I didn't do timed, but did 4 sets of 10 reps at 135 lbs. My right shoulder burns out pretty quick (seems like a common theme in here). In order for me to give a good effort I think I would need a bit to get in shape. Granted I am 6'1" 230 lbs. so 135 isn't a ton of weight, but I was dripping with sweat. It was a really good workout.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    ^^ Wow freaking impressive.

I didn't do timed, but did 4 sets of 10 reps at 135 lbs. My right shoulder burns out pretty quick (seems like a common theme in here). In order for me to give a good effort I think I would need a bit to get in shape. Granted I am 6'1" 230 lbs. so 135 isn't a ton of weight, but I was dripping with sweat. It was a really good workout.
    That does sound like a good conditioning workout; four sets of 10 complexes is a lot of volume ( 4 sets x 10 complexes x 5 movements per complex = 200 'reps').

Tom, you are a friggin animal!!!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Tom, you are a friggin animal!!!
    My thoughs exactly.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Tom your not human, besides that i tried some of these as a conditioning kind of role, kept it really light but upped the intensity, i was puffing like no ones business by the end, not sure if that is a good thing to be doing with them but it was fun anyway
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'