The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How much calorie excess should i make daily to gain weight and muscle?

Im on a 3500 kcal diet and my stomach has started to pop out. So for the past 3 days i've stopped trying to gain weight. Im underweight and my bmi is just 17. My training routine includes overhead press squat barbell rows and deadlift. My mantainance is around 2000 kcals. How much kcal excess should i make so that my waist doesn't pop out. Pardon my bad english. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are they 3500 clean kcals? Or have you been eating rubbish?
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

Banned
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...tion-or-is-it/

^^^ Really this article should be essential reading. While I think its the right method and idea to achieve the body you want, I dont think you should jump right into a diet setup with your END GOAL numbers. You'll eventually need to be eating about those amounts, but you should break down your goals into smaller more manageable ones, and this will limit fat gain as well.

Your body can only gain muscle so fast, so if you truly do eat enough to gain weight very rapidly, then a lot of it will be fat.

Read that article I linked a few times (It looks like you may have already done so). But basically break your weight gain goal down into smaller goals. So if you are currently around 105 (not sure about this) and your goal is 180, dont just jump into a diet for a 180lb'er. Maybe start with a diet for a 120lb'er and do that until you get close to plateuing in wieght. Then up it to 140, and repeat.

It takes time to get stronger, and gain muscle, but by continuinig forward gradually you'll progress.

The other thing you are going to have to accept, is that sometimes you aren't going to be able to gain weight (especially a significant amount) and stay lean. You may have to to avoid looking in the mirror for a while and just watch the scale move up.

Also, people talk about eating "clean" and this usually isn't an issue. For the most part all that matters is the total calories and that you are getting enough protein. Just use some common sense and you'll be fine. A hamburger and french fries isn't going to be "dirty" and make you fat as long as it fits into your daily macros.

Other than that, I dont know how much you are working out, but 4-5x per week would be a good idea.

If your maintenance truly is 2000. I would start with ~2300 for a week or two and then re-assess.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    If your maintenance truly is 2000. I would start with ~2300 for a week or two and then re-assess.
    & upon reassesment if you are not gaining much increment by 200-300 and run that for a few more weeks.

Eventually you'll lock it in. What sucks is overbulking and then spinning your wheels cutting...

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    & upon reassesment if you are not gaining much increment by 200-300 and run that for a few more weeks.

Eventually you'll lock it in. What sucks is overbulking and then spinning your wheels cutting...
    It also sucks to spend weeks/months not eating enough to find that you aren't gaining muscle/weight and your strength gains suffer, because you were to scared you were going to gain too much fat.

Sure, "different strokes for different folks" , but if gaining weight is number one priority, then just do it, and dont worry about anything else.

Unless you are a competative bodybuilder or weight class athlete with a deadline for being in a certain shape, then it doesn't matter. Just gain the weight, and let your body composition fall into place later. Plenty of people (especially beginners) will gain 30-50+ lbs of weight in a year and not get overly fat. This will NEVER happen if they are aiming for 300kcal surpluses and worrying about fat gain.

They just get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by WaNNaB3Bigg3r View Post
    Are they 3500 clean kcals? Or have you been eating rubbish?
    Lol, what are clean Calories? :P
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    It also sucks to spend weeks/months not eating enough to find that you aren't gaining muscle/weight and your strength gains suffer, because you were to scared you were going to gain too much fat.
    For people that:

1) have a grasp of sports nutrition
    2) know their maintenance calories

it's not possible to spend weeks and months not gaining weight.
    Last edited by Holto; 12-17-2010 at 12:40 PM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------