The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: HCT-12 question

Wannabebig Member

HCT-12 question

I'm confused about 6-2-2-2. Does it mean that you do 6 then 2-2-2 for every work set or just the last work set?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    "Here’s an example:

•Bar x 6 reps (warm-up)
    •135lbs x 1 (feel set)
    •185lbs x 1 (feel set)
    •225lbs x 1 (feel set)
    •240lbs x 6 (work set)
    •270lbs x 6 (work set)
    •300lbs x 6 (work set)
    •320lbs x 6 (work set)
    •340lbs x 6 (work set) This was the previous best but the last rep felt easy, so go for another set
    •350lbs x 6 (work set) Barely got the sixth rep.
    Rack the bar. Rest as long as you need before attempting two more reps, approximately 30-60 seconds. Rack the bar, breathe deeply for another approx thirty-seconds and try for another two reps. Repeat. And that’s it.

"

Basically you are ramping to a 6 RM (what you can barely do six reps of) and then resting and performing three clusters of 2.
    Last edited by Dan Fanelli; 12-16-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Is there anything wrong with doing three work sets @ 6-2-2-2? For example on curls, my work sets start @ 25lbs. then 30lbs. then 35lbs. I did 6-2-2-2 for all three work sets and everything seems good.

Banned
    There is no reason to do it that way. The earlier sets are going to tire you out before you get to the heavier working sets.

And if you can do 35x6, then a set of 2-2-2 with 25 isn't going to do much for you.

Banned
    Just do it as written. Only clusters on your top set. Your top set should be a 6RM...that means you wouldn't be able to get a 7th rep. The clusters after this will be *brutal*.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Just do it as written. Only clusters on your top set. Your top set should be a 6RM...that means you wouldn't be able to get a 7th rep. The clusters after this will be *brutal*.
    Question for you mchicia, does anyone ramp up to a max set of 6 but only do one "work set"? So instead of hitting 6's all the way up to a max, go with singles until your target weight, and then proceed to six.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Question for you mchicia, does anyone ramp up to a max set of 6 but only do one "work set"? So instead of hitting 6's all the way up to a max, go with singles until your target weight, and then proceed to six.
    I do it this way on a program similar to HCT. I'll start out pretty light and warm up with 6s to get the blood flowing, but once I'm near my max weight I drop down feeler sets of 2 or 3 just to get my body used to that weight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Yes, I prefer this way. I am not currently doing the routine but I am taking my wife through it twice a week. What has worked really nicely so far is doing 2 medium weight 6 rep sets, then using singles or doubles as needed to feel your way up to what you think your 6RM for that day is. For deadlifts yesterday we did:

Barx5x2, just warming up

Work sets:
    65x6
    85x6
    115x2, felt good for her so we estimated 125 as her 6RM
    125x6+2+2+2

We were right too, 125 was right on the edge of her 6RM.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 12-17-2010 at 09:47 AM.

It's an experience thing...To start with, I'd do the 6 reps with your ramping sets [as written] so you get a feel for where you are at that day. As you get more experienced, you can lower the reps on your ramping sets to save some energy for the top work set. But you have to have some experience first so you know where you should be for that day. It's better to work up than to guess.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I don't really understand the concept of ramping sets after your first workout on an exercise. For example, if on your first workout you benched 200lbs. as your max work set, wouldn't you just start your work sets around 200lbs. the next time you benched.

For example:
    95lbs. warmup
    135lbs. warmup.
    190lbs. workset
    200lbs. workset
    210lbs. workset.

The auto regulation would kick in @ 200lbs. If you feel like you can do more, then you go for it. If not, then do two sets @ 200. Even if you don't progress every session, you will still get stronger over time.

I've actually decided to do a modified HCT-12. I tried it last time I was at the gym, and I'm still feeling the effects two days later. I never had that happen with either SS or traditional HCT-12

What I do is:
    1/4 goal weight x 15 (warmup)
    No rest
    1/2 goal weight x12 (warmup)
    No rest
    Goal weight -10lbs. to failure (usu. 10 reps), then -2 -2 -2 -2 (each with 30second intervals)
    3 Minute rest
    Goal weight to failure(usu 8 reps), then -2 -2 -2 -2 (each with 30second intervals)
    3 Minute rest
    Goal weight +5lbs. to failure(usu 4-6 reps), then -2 -2 -2 -2 (each with 30second intervals)

The only exercises I won't go to failure on are bench and squats. For those, I stop one rep before failure.
    Also, exercises that I'm still very light on may have a slightly different pattern, such as side/front raises.

I will admit that with the new program, I'm using less weight on some exercises. But if you think it's bs, try doing just one exercise using my method. I bet you will feel the results.
    Last edited by mx597turbo; 12-18-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mx597turbo View Post
    I will admit that with the new program, I'm using less weight on some exercises.
    And there is the problem... All you've done is increase the volume, but in the process you've decreased the intensity. With the way Daniel wrote the program, you have a balance of volume and intensity, much better in my opinion.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    But I'm still increasing the weight every time I go to the gym. So I may have a lower starting point, but my gains will be almost the same session to session.

Quote Originally Posted by mx597turbo View Post
    But I'm still increasing the weight every time I go to the gym. So I may have a lower starting point, but my gains will be almost the same session to session.
    All that says is that you started lighter than you should and at some point will get to the weight you should have been using in the first place. If you stick with HCT-12 "as written" you will be much stronger in the same time period.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal