The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Help me out with some squat pains

So I'm following Starting Strength and recently i've had some pain in the area above my patella in both legs (left mostly), I assume it's the tendon I dunno.

What could I possibly be doing wrong in my squat to have that kind of pain?

(I'm assuming it's the squat, i'm also doing deadlifts, powercleans, bench presses and shoulder presses)

Im just squatting 85lbs, with a 50lb or so bar (weak i know, but dont bash me I'm on my way)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you able to post a video of youself squatting?

I am no doc or knee expert. And the knee joint can be affected by SO many different things: It could be in your feet how you bear weight, it could be in your hips (anterior pelvic tilt). It could be that you're quad-dominant and one of your four quad muscles is pulling the joint slightly out of alignment. It could be some combination of any of these, or possibly something else completely different that an untrained non-orthopedic person like me can't possibly know.

My point is, you need to see a GOOD sports-related physical therapist. Ideally, a postural-restoration physical therapist. Yes, I know that sound like the same kind of b.s. similar to "toxins" and "energy" and all that crap. Trust me, I'm as conservative as the next guy, and I'm telling you there's a difference between a regular P.T. and a postural restoration P.T.

Now, all that being said, I'll tell you my experience with this. Your mileage may vary. I had the same discomfort as you describe last spring. Long story short: It took my P.T. several attempts to zero in on the problem, but this is what it was.. The quad muscle on the inside of my knees and thighs was shortening up more than the rest of the quad, and over time it was pulling at my knee joint enough to create significant knee pain. He showed me one simple stretch for that muscle, and within a month the pain was completely gone. If you knew my personal history on knee problems, you'd have a better idea of the significance of my statement. There's a vid on wwb somewhere showing this stretch, but I can't find it, and I've looked for 20 minutes. It was a more recent article, within the last 3 months. I thought it was by Nick Tumminello, but not sure.

I'll try to explain it: Get down on one knee, with the other foot flat on the floor out in front of you. Remain upright, and thrust your pelvis forward and hold it. If you feel the stretch up the inside of your groin, you're doing it correctly.

Do that every day. If you don't see improvement in a week, I'll refer you to my first two paragraphs. There's just too many factors in the knee joint to accurately diagnose it on an internet forum.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Wannabebig Member
    I think I could film myself, it'd take me a while though.

Also, thanks for that recommendation i'll give it a try. I'll look for a sport-related physical therapist but i've had a hard time finding ANYONE (trainer, doctor, etc) that doesn't tell me that if I squat I'm going to hell (screw them)... then again maybe in South America people haven't heard "squat cures cancer" lol

Do you warm up before you squat? How is your form? Like Tom said, if you could post a video it would be best. You could also try using a box.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member MyWeightLifting's Avatar
    Maybe these will help: Squat Rx
    If you liked my post, you'll probably like my weight lifting information site too. Check it out, Slime!

Quote Originally Posted by Grishy View Post
    So I'm following Starting Strength and recently i've had some pain in the area above my patella in both legs (left mostly), I assume it's the tendon I dunno.

What could I possibly be doing wrong in my squat to have that kind of pain?

(I'm assuming it's the squat, i'm also doing deadlifts, powercleans, bench presses and shoulder presses)

Im just squatting 85lbs, with a 50lb or so bar (weak i know, but dont bash me I'm on my way)
    two things come to mind. One is you might be putting the weight on your toes and not sitting back enough. The second which is from my own experience, is that when i dont push my knees out enough I end up pushing with the inside of my feet and that is where the weight is distributed. This really bothers my knees when I do that. so sit back and push your knees out. One other thing it could be is tendonitis, if thats the case purchase some neoprene knee sleeve to keep it warm and to keep the blood flowing.
    Last edited by BoAnderson71; 12-23-2010 at 09:32 PM.

and dont worry about your numbers you have to start somewhere.
    Last edited by BoAnderson71; 12-23-2010 at 09:33 PM.