The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Sled Drags/Walking Lunges To Strengthen Legs For Football???

Has anyone done these to strengthen their posterior chain for football? I plan on doing these with my 12 year son(5'4" 135lbs) to get his legs stronger for football. We'll do them as walking lunges while dragging the sled with a weight belt(3 sets of 8-10 reps or 3-4 rounds of 30 yards). What do you think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    Has anyone done these to strengthen their posterior chain for football? I plan on doing these with my 12 year son(5'4" 135lbs) to get his legs stronger for football. We'll do them as walking lunges while dragging the sled with a weight belt(3 sets of 8-10 reps or 3-4 rounds of 30 yards). What do you think?
    It's a great idea. I wouldn't do it that way though. Is there a reason you'd do walking lunges instead of forward/backward dragging?

Look into this more (maybe defrancostraining.com or elitefitnesssystems.com). It's probably better used as gpp and to put on some mass. As far as strength there are better methods.

Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    It's a great idea. I wouldn't do it that way though. Is there a reason you'd do walking lunges instead of forward/backward dragging?

Look into this more (maybe defrancostraining.com or elitefitnesssystems.com). It's probably better used as gpp and to put on some mass. As far as strength there are better methods.

Good luck!
    Well, no real reason really. I was trying to work his glutes, hams & quads to help him get a faster(acceleration). We'll also do step-ups on a 10-12 inch box & 45 degree hyperextensions. I'm trying to stay away from exercises that load his spine(ie.squats, deads, etc...) since he's so young. If you think the forward/backward drags are a better option, I'm 100% open to it.

Banned
    Personally, i'd put him on a modified version of Starting strength or WS4SB. But thats up to you. Do some more research maybe to make a more informed decision.

I think your ideas are good so long as he is happy to do them. Don't overtrain him and do the lunges or step-ups prior to the sled pulling.

You should also make the sled pulling like football plays. Do it in intervals that take about 10 seconds each followed by 20-30 seconds of rest. That will help to condition him for work on the field.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Personally, i'd put him on a modified version of Starting strength or WS4SB. But thats up to you. Do some more research maybe to make a more informed decision.
    He's not ready for that just yet. He's TOTALLY new to training and doesn't really have the physical strength or maturity to handle squats, deads, or cleans. I'm going to have him focus on mastering bodyweight exercises first(pushups, chinups, step-ups, lunges, medicine ball throws, jumping rope(warm-up), and sled drags or hill sprints.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I think your ideas are good so long as he is happy to do them. Don't overtrain him and do the lunges or step-ups prior to the sled pulling.

You should also make the sled pulling like football plays. Do it in intervals that take about 10 seconds each followed by 20-30 seconds of rest. That will help to condition him for work on the field.
    CM, thanks for the info! I'm trying to keep it as simple and as fun as possible with a friendly father/son competition. That's why I'll be doing everything he's doing. Instead of on the sideline barking orders. Workouts on Mon/Wed/Fri.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    For a 12 year old athlete I would recommend a mix of body-weight movements, plyometrics, conditioning, and speed work.

Here is what I would include in his program:
    - Sprints and Shuttle Runs
    - Agility Work (cones, ladder, etc.)
    - Bodyweight Strength Training (pull-up's, push-up's, dips, step-up's, lunges, etc.)
    - Running Stairs or Jump Rope, Box Jumps.
    - Pushing a tackling sled or dragging a tire/etc.

You are not going to find many children who are his age with very much gym strength, so the speed and conditioning are what will make a difference on the field. Assuming that he is interested, I would also help him with his diet to make sure that he consumes sufficient calories to support body-weight gain.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

There have been some good tips already posted... I will echo some and add my own:

1. Train metabolically similar to the sport. Short 5-12second bursts of high intensity, max effort activity. E.G. Sprints with the sled.
    2. Get his squat deep, strong and safe with proper technique.
    3. Work on mobility! Hip flexor, thoracic, shoulders. The more mobile (aka flexible) he is, the more athletic he will be. Mobility will allow him to get his center of gravity closer to the ground; effectively allowing him to change directions quicker. Mobility will also allow him to hone in his sprint mechanics (with the right coach). Young ones are often very flexible, and if you can keep him flexible it will take his athleticism to a new level. Look in to Active Isolation Stretching methods and maybe higher a practioner.
    4. DO NOT MAKE HIM DO LONG SLOW DISTANCE ENDURANCE TRAINING. This is the opposite of his sport and will interfere with sport specific training adaptation.

And overall, make sure he is enjoying this and understands the benefits and reason behind everything he is doing in his training. And, there must be a reason and benefit to everything being done in training. A lot of high school coaches use training as a means of discipline and punishment and that is just stupid and counter productive. If your son can find the intrinsic value of training and busting ass it will go a long way in to developing the character that facilitates being a high level athlete,
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 12-23-2010 at 05:08 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."