The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4

    Is my routine too much?

    I just started lifting because I want to gain weight and look better this summer, but I'm wondering if my plan is a little too much. I'm a junior in high school, 5'8 and only 135lbs. Right now I can only worry about gaining weight, but after I get that up then I'm going to tone it before summer hopefully. For pretty much everything I do 3 sets of 10, 8, and 6 reps.

    Mon, Wed, Fri-
    Bench, Tricep Extension, Arm Curls, Military Press

    Tue, Thurs-
    Squats/Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curls, Calf Raises

    Every Day-
    Abs

    I've heard so many conflicting opinions so I'm not sure if this is the right plan for me.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    We have a very good program available for free on this site = HCT-12.

    If not, the one thing I would tell you is you need variety of movements. You could do that routine for 2-3 weeks and then switch all of the exercises and go another 2-3 weeks.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  4. #3
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    I skimmed the HCT-12 routine and it seemed a little advanced for me but I'll check it out again.

  5. #4
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    If you just started lifting, pay the $25 bucks or so and get the book Starting Strength. I believe you can purchase it at www.atlargenutrition.com.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  6. #5
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Maybe not though, I just browsed the site and did not see it there anymore. So, you could still get some good supplements with at large, but you may need to search a bit to find starting strength.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  7. #6
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,607
    We don't sell it anymore because I don't care for it. I think there are MUCH better ways to train.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  8. #7
    Senior Member soclydeza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    We don't sell it anymore because I don't care for it. I think there are MUCH better ways to train.
    someone is prolly gonna flame me for this but.... im glad to hear someone like you say that, chris. not that i have anything against the routine, i've never tried it to be honest. i just got kind of sick of people making it sound like its the end-all-be-all of routines and that no one should be on any routine other than SS.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

  9. #8
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Well, for beginners there isn't a simpler way to train and the book has good descriptions of the main compound movements.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  10. #9
    Senior Member jtteg_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,994
    I am glad and relieved to hear your priority is to gain weight. Check out the free routines listed here on this forum: http://www.wannabebig.com/cat/traini...ining-programs pick one that suits you best and follow it. As Chris said, variation of lifts for each muscle group is the way to do it.

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    phoenix,az
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    We don't sell it anymore because I don't care for it. I think there are MUCH better ways to train.
    Chris.

    Whats your opinion on the 5x5s that starting strength was based off of? I was thinking of madcow's specificly. Do you like the weekly linear progression? Is it still too little of variation of exercises? I know you favor westside for strength but doesn't that require bands and chains? I only have a barbell.

    To the OP, no back exercises?

  12. #11
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  13. #12
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    Ok I read the thread about gaining mass , http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-the-easy-way/ , and it looks pretty good. In his sample routine though it only says to do bench press, chins, and seated shoulder press on Mon/Wed, and Squats and Calf Raises on Tuesday/Friday. THis doesn't seem like enough exercises to make a big impact.

  14. #13
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    Quote Originally Posted by goblue8462 View Post
    THis doesn't seem like enough exercises to make a big impact.
    What else do you think you need?
    What muscles aren't getting worked?
    I know you said you read the article...but did you understand it?
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  15. #14
    Senior Member jtteg_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,994
    because those lifts are the bread and butter of exercises for gaining muscle mass and strength. its a routine great for beginners because you want to build a base before getting into the isolation movements. if you want to keep your curls, you can do them on your upper body days (mon/wed) on the week you are not going deadlifts.

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Routine hardly matters in the beginning, as long as it makes sense (i.e not just a bunch of bi and tri movements). Consistency and diet greatly outweigh the program in terms of importance. Just do something you enjoy and stick with it for a long time, making sure you at least hit all of the main compounds frequently.

    Also, at 135 pounds, don't worry about toning down for summer because you will still be too skinny to cut anything off that will result in a good looking physique. Prepare to spend at least 2 years bulking up to a respectable weight before you even think about cutting. Also don't worry about some of the fat gain that comes with bulking up...you will look much better at 165 pounds with a little bit of fat vs 145 pounds with less fat, trust me on that! I was 6'5" 175 pounds when I first started lifting, so essentially we were basically the same size. I probably added 5% of body fat but I gained 60 pounds. Even with a little bit of a stomach, I look a thousand times better than I did when I was rail thin with no fat.


    Quote Originally Posted by goblue8462 View Post
    Ok I read the thread about gaining mass , http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-the-easy-way/ , and it looks pretty good. In his sample routine though it only says to do bench press, chins, and seated shoulder press on Mon/Wed, and Squats and Calf Raises on Tuesday/Friday. THis doesn't seem like enough exercises to make a big impact.
    This is the mistake all new gym people make...they think they need to kill themselves in the gym to make gains so they do a million movements over a 3 hour span. The key to gaining weight is short, extremely intense workouts on the compound movements and then eating a ****load of food and sleeping 8+ hours a night. You will make the best gains on a 3 day a week program.

    I would just do the hct-12 A-B-A program...has the perfect combo of compound and isolation movements.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 12-21-2010 at 09:24 AM.

  17. #16
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by goblue8462 View Post
    Ok I read the thread about gaining mass , http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-the-easy-way/ , and it looks pretty good. In his sample routine though it only says to do bench press, chins, and seated shoulder press on Mon/Wed, and Squats and Calf Raises on Tuesday/Friday. THis doesn't seem like enough exercises to make a big impact.

    What OR and mchicia1 said.

    To which I'd add if you're going all out on those lifts, you don't need any additional exercises.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  18. #17
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    Ok guys thanks for all the info. I know I have enough dedication to stick with it, I just wanted to be informed.

  19. #18
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    We don't sell it anymore because I don't care for it. I think there are MUCH better ways to train.
    I agree, and disagree.

    SS is not the best way to get big and jacked, however it's not meant for that. It's meant to build a FOUNDATION, that's it!

    Many people here have been training for a very long time, and therefore they don't need SS. However, all new lifters would benefit greatly from staring with SS, sticking with it for 6 months, and then moving on to something else (HCT, BGB, WBB, 5/3/1, westside, etc....)

    When I first started lifting I had a chest/biceps day and a back/triceps day, and I just alternated the two of them. I never did shoulders, legs, or any type of lower back work. Many guys I see training in the gym come in with the mentality of "get big biceps....bench tons of weight....I'll get jacked!!!!".

    Starting with 6 months of SS as opposed to doing the above scenarios is really a smart idea! After that 6 months, the lifter will have a much better idea about what it takes to "get JACKED", and can then switch to a different, more bodybuilding oriented program.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Similar Threads

  1. tonights routine.. Can you have too many Compound exercises in a routine?
    By Aslin in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
  3. Need a routine with dumbbells and barbell only, please review my current routine
    By espn2829 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 07:20 AM
  4. Routine Change? My body can't handle my routine anymore
    By Jinkies in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 07:25 AM
  5. Full Body workout routine V. split upper/lower routine
    By blindedzeppelin in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •