Thread: Football and Strongman Training

Football and Strongman Training

I'm currently preparing my off season routine for football next fall, and I have become very interested in stongman as a way to add strength conditioning to my workouts.
    What would you guys recommend to build functional football strength and as a way to condition prior to the season?
    Thanks, Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by BigBassBo View Post
    I'm currently preparing my off season routine for football next fall, and I have become very interested in stongman as a way to add strength conditioning to my workouts.
    What would you guys recommend to build functional football strength and as a way to condition prior to the season?
    Thanks, Jayden
    check out westside for skinny bastards by Joe defranco. I beleive in the second one he has strongman conditioning built in on saturdays. Or check out tom mutaffis's strongman template on at large nutritions site.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBassBo View Post
    Thanks, Jayden
    Jayden,

What type of program does your team have in place for off-season weight training? And what strongman implements (if any) do you currently have access to?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Jayden,

What type of program does your team have in place for off-season weight training? And what strongman implements (if any) do you currently have access to?
    We are a very small school, and we do not have much of a program, I may take heat for this, but I took it upon myself as I love reading and learning about the human body and strength training. I generally work on an ABA BAB split, upper body, lower body that I pieced together from several other programs and information found here on WBB. It contains elements of linear progression and self regulation depending on the lift.
    That said, at the conclusion of basketball season, I will be beginning the 20 rep Squat Routine or a variation for four to six weeks.

As far as implements, I live in a rural area where large tires are very easy to come by. I also have the ability to build most implements that are used in strongman.

As for the two articles mentioned, I've read through them and gleaned some useful tips, and I'm hoping to pick up some specifics.

Just my opinion...for what it's worth. I think you may be overthinking things a little. I would really check out Joe Defranco's program for off-season WS4SB3. That program is really ideal for high school athletes. Outside of the regular Westside Split, I like his additions on speed and agility / strongman training. In just following the program as its written, you are taking out the guess work and just going balls to the wall. Set PR's, knock out some speed work, and do strongman as a supplement to that training. Give yourself several months with that program and you will be bigger, stronger, and faster. As a high school coach, I would be thrilled with that combo! Also check out Joe D's Agile 8 on youtube. Mobility is something that all of my athletes neglect like crazy!
    Current Lifts (All RAW):
    Bodyweight: 205

Deadlift: 480 x 1
    Squat: 375 x 1
    Bench: 335 x 1
    Training Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...st-Competition