The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Taking the bar way too low. Tucking is fine, but if you are raw you don't want to take the bar that low. The weight will become overbearing as it gets heavier. Then again I am no expert, but it seems tucking that much has more advantage in a suit vs raw.

Another thing you can try which worked for me is to try to set up farther back on the bench so you are pin pressing the weight off the racks. This will keep your shoulders in a better position as you unrack it.

You are on the right track though, keep it up.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 12-26-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Weak Mofo
    Well all I am trying to do is decrease the amount of space I have to move the bar. I have a 77inch arm span and laying flat on the bench and taking the bar to my chest makes my shoulders kill me. And not in a good way. And when I ask if I shouldn't take the bar all the way to my chest, but maybe use a board or something instead, people tell me that's not beneficial and I really need to touch the bar to my chest, which makes sense, and I understand. My elbows go 5-6 inches below the bench if I lay flat and I swear my shoulder joints will hurt for a week afterwards if I bench heavy and go that low. Benching this way allowed me to take 4 inches off my ROM and definitely felt like it was better on my shoulders. Although I have not benched heavy with this technique yet.

I watched Dave Tate's videos on this style of benching and none of it included shirts, his point of view was it was best to bench this way raw or with a shirt, especially for people with long arms. And as uncomfortable as this position is, I really felt like I had alot more drive as it uses the entire body.

Banned
    I wasn't talking about your arch. By taking the bar too low, I mean't taking the bar too much towards your feet. Your arch and the way you setup is fine.

arch looks good. because of the lighting i can't tell how far you're retracting your shoulders. if you aren't already, try to make you shoulder blades touch.

WORK ON YOUR LEG DRIVE! i'd personally set my feet farther down the bench to get flatfooted and have a better base, but regardless, try to drive through your heels when you start pressing. it makes a HUGE difference.

try to touch the bar near your pecs more bro

Weak Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by thatNUCKOLSkid View Post
    arch looks good. because of the lighting i can't tell how far you're retracting your shoulders. if you aren't already, try to make you shoulder blades touch.

WORK ON YOUR LEG DRIVE! i'd personally set my feet farther down the bench to get flatfooted and have a better base, but regardless, try to drive through your heels when you start pressing. it makes a HUGE difference.
    I tried this with real weight for the first time yesterday. It's definitely not as easy as it looks. I spend alot of time before I even lift the weight off the rack just making sure my shoulders are together and my back is arched as far as I can. The leg part takes a bit of getting used to. When you're focused on lifting that weight up it can get hard to remember to keep the legs tight. I think I did alright with it though. Practice makes perfect. Apparently people in my gym have never seen this before, so I had a lot of "what the hell is this guy doing??" looks going around.

Setting the feet down and outwards is another way of doing it. They both work to get the arch, it's just more preferance. I tried both ways and I seem to like to tucked way better. Feels more comfortable. Ironically this position is far from comfortable.

Thanks for the advice!

Take er easy man! Just keep bencing and asking and you'll be fine.

In the end asking for feedback and more time under the bar will get you where you want to be!

Foot positioning is pretty important if you want to get good leg drive, I am a taller guy and if I get my feet positioned right, pinched shoulder blades and a good arch it is impossible for me to bring my butt off the bench! When you get to the point that your back is actually sore from keeping it tight on a ME day then your on to something!

Keep asking and KEEP BENCHING!

Looked pretty good to me
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I noticed the same things as mchicia1. It seems like you may touch too low towards your stomach. I know when I'm benching 200+ if I touch too low it can cause me to miss the rep as when I actually go to press it's in an awkward position. I try to touch right where my ribcage meets (about over your nips). Also you might want to try scooting back more. I like to have the bar right about at my lips while lying on the bench, it makes racking and unracking a lot easier on my shoulders (unless you normally lift with someone spotting racking/unracking)

Those are just what i see though, not necessarily right, just preference. Just some things I found that made life easier when I bench.