Thread: Knees

Wannabebig Member

Knees

Hey guys

My knees have been really frustrating the hell out of me for a long time now. I feel like I would have much better form and stronger lifts if not for them. Whenever I squat or deadlift, if I push with my knees they really flare up, and so I have a tendency to push my legs back and good morning both lifts. I want to try to work on getting my knees into better shape. I currently wear light knee sleeves on both knees. It helps, but it's not enough. I do the Olympic lifts and the powerlifts. I'd say I'm intermediate (560 DL, 380 Sq, 265C&J, 220 Snatch, 6'4, 215lbs)

So, 2 parts: (1) Exercises/rehab, and (2) Wraps.
    I'm not sure exactly sure what the issue is with my knees -- I don't know all the possible knee problems and really can just say that mine hurt when I squat. I squat wide, I sit back far, and I usually either pause or box squat. If I do Front Squats they hurt a bit more. I don't think I have strong VMO's so I was thinking about working in some unweighted(?) squats with bands to work the VMO. Any other exercises that I should start incorporating?

I'm also thinking about adding real knee wraps. I'd like to start really trying to train and compete in powerlifting next year and do 100% Raw meets. Ideally, I'd want to get a pair of wraps that is permitted in these meets. Aside from that, I squat a fair bit below parallel, so I'd need a knee wrap that can handle that, if I went that route. Any advice?

Thanks.

Tyler Tucker
    I have been dealing with knee pains for some time. What has seemed to help me the most is 100 rep lying leg curls with ankle weights or mini bands. I will do these just about everyday and it has seemed to help. I also really focus on my warm-up. Leg curls, bike or elliptical, body weight squats. I'll spend 10-15min just warming up before I even put the bar on my back. Rehab has made the biggest difference for me. I do pretty much the same thing for my elbows only with extensions and Indian clubs.
    --------Bench----DL----
    Meet: 425------550----
    Gym: 405------565----

How do you warmup before squatting or deadlifting? Is there anything structurally wrong with them?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    My warm-up is pretty extensive if I don't feel really good or if my knees hurt. Today I did the following:

Row 500m
    Leg swing, arm swing type stuff
    Foam roll, thoracic work on foam roller
    10 squats holding a rack so I can force myself to sit really far back and stay straight up/down while going deep; worked progressively into a wider stance
    Really slow (took 30s) squat on this vibrator machine that's probably worthless but is supposed to help fire your CNS (it's like a $12k machine)
    Set of 8 squats with band around knees (VMO stuff)
    Then below parallel box squats, first with the bar x 6
    then 135x5, 200x4,225x3,265x2,285x1,305x1,305x5,305x3,305x2,305x2

My knees were doing better than usual, but still felt terrible pretty much the whole way. The first few sets it's usually really hard to drop down, but as the weight gets heavier and as my knees warm-up, it gets easier...but then with the heavy weight it hurts to push up
    Last edited by JustinM; 01-16-2011 at 11:57 PM.

I dont have knee issues at all but I have some upperbody issues as you know, my only advice is dont push it till its sorted bro.........you know how to get stronger but you wont be able to with buggered knees.
    Dont chase big numbers only to have to need a longer lay off than you may need now (i dont really know how bad it is).

Hope you fix them and Im sorry I have nothing much to offer.

Good luck!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I found that doing full cleans and snatches absolutely killed my knees. With my lever lengths my knees had to be about a mile out in front of my toes in the deep SQ position to catch the bar. When I stopped doing the full lifts, my pain went away.
    Here are a few things to consider:
    1) Get a PVC pipe and roll your IT bands daily.
    2) Stretch your quads daily.
    3) Ice multiple times daily until things calm down and then after every training session even if your knees feel OK.
    4) Do and internet search for "Bulletproof Knees" by Mike Robertson
    5) If none of this works, see a professional.

What about TKE's done with a band?
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

TKE's are awesome. My hunch would be a strength or tightness imbalance that's putting your knees under constant stress. It's pretty common to have quads that are too strong and pull the knee out of alignment. It's called runner's knee. Try increasing your hamstring work to balance out.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    Great feedback. Thanks a bunch. I'll be sure to add all that in.

Did anybody have an opinion on whether I should get knee wraps and if so which kind?
    Last edited by JustinM; 01-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Hey guys

My knees have been really frustrating the hell out of me for a long time now. I feel like I would have much better form and stronger lifts if not for them. Whenever I squat or deadlift, if I push with my knees they really flare up, and so I have a tendency to push my legs back and good morning both lifts. I want to try to work on getting my knees into better shape. I currently wear light knee sleeves on both knees. It helps, but it's not enough. I do the Olympic lifts and the powerlifts. I'd say I'm intermediate (560 DL, 380 Sq, 265C&J, 220 Snatch, 6'4, 215lbs)

So, 2 parts: (1) Exercises/rehab, and (2) Wraps.
    I'm not sure exactly sure what the issue is with my knees -- I don't know all the possible knee problems and really can just say that mine hurt when I squat. I squat wide, I sit back far, and I usually either pause or box squat. If I do Front Squats they hurt a bit more. I don't think I have strong VMO's so I was thinking about working in some unweighted(?) squats with bands to work the VMO. Any other exercises that I should start incorporating?

I'm also thinking about adding real knee wraps. I'd like to start really trying to train and compete in powerlifting next year and do 100% Raw meets. Ideally, I'd want to get a pair of wraps that is permitted in these meets. Aside from that, I squat a fair bit below parallel, so I'd need a knee wrap that can handle that, if I went that route. Any advice?

Thanks.
    First what is this 'flare up'?
    A constant burning sensation?
    Is it in the joint or on the tendons or muscles more?
    Have you even seen a doctor for this to make sure it is not worse than you think.
    Do you take supplements like Glucosamine, Chondroitin or Fish Oil? If not may be you should they do work on joints but takes 2 to 4 weeks to feel better. Also Glucosamine and Chondroitin have a half life in the body of only like 12 hours so you need to take at least twice a day (morning and night). I take is 3 times a day.

Next form could alwas be an issue and obvioulsy you got form issues since you said you do 'Good Morning' the weights on squats. Yes I rememeber that you said you do this cause it hurts less but still it is wrong and you need to correct this. I would say that about 50% of knee issues are from form issues.

If you do have form issues then may be you need more ham and glute strength, GHRs, and reverse hypre extensions and SLDL. I also like band workouts, TKE's are good but you want to do 20 reps per set. Banded box squats and full squats are good too. I read some where that bands will help increase tendon/ligament strength (maybe from Louie Simmons) so stronger tendons mean stronger lifts.

Knee sleeves are great and I train in them, I have several kinds, if you are going raw depending on the Federation you may not be able to wear any to wearing knee wraps but check your Federations rules first. I like Tommy Kono's.

To help avoid the burning you can take Advil like 30 minute before your workout and then right after it. Then after the workout ice it 20 minute on and 20 minute off do it 3 times. But this won't correct the problem it will only help you deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Great feedback. Thanks a bunch. I'll be sure to add all that in.

Did anybody have an opinion on whether I should get knee wraps and if so which kind?
    Go for the 2.5m Blue Powers from APT......I know I know there are meant to be better more expensive wraps by APT but trust me you will love them.......big support and you can wear them between sets even with them on fairly tight.
    They just feel great.

Best all rounder, I would be amazed if you did not like them.
    Last edited by NickAus; 01-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...