Thread: Time to Tidy up a bit?

Time to Tidy up a bit?

Well I have put on 34LBS since May 2010.

I am by no means heavy now at 174LBS but i am getting there i guess.

My goal is to reach around 205LBS eventually. If that takes me another year or two no problem but that would be my ideal place so that i can be nearer to the weight limit for the strongman events (210LBS).

I know that some fat gain is always going to happen when putting on weight but i have started to notice a little more than i would like around my middle

My strength however seems to be flying and i do not want to jepordise that just for a little bit of stomach wobble.

Up untill now i have just aimed at 200-250Grams of Protein a day, and because i considered myself to be a hard gainer i just made the other calories up with anything i could get my hands on. If i could do it clean i would, if not then a pizza would not worry me.

Will bullet point these questions as it is starting to ramble sorry;

1)What is a good bulking food that is low in fat that i can swap into my diet?
    2)What would be a good time scale to put on the kind of weight listed above?
    3)Does that kind of weight gain in any realistic time span require a significant amount of fat?

Here is a sample of a typical ish day

Breakfast

4Eggs
    Morning Fury Shake (500Calories-25Grams of Protein)

Snack

Peanut butter sandwich
    2Glasses of Whole Milk

Lunch

Peanut butter sandwich
    Meat dish, mince or what like. Some rice

Post Workout

Jumbo Shake-955Calories (50grams Protein)

Dinner

Normally a meat, either chicken or beef with veg and potato

Lat night snack

Yoghurt 350Grams 2 glasses of whole milk again.

Any thoughts would be good. I do not feel fat yet just want to keep an eye on things before they become a real issue
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

If you're uncomortable in your own skin, then diet. There's not point in doing all this hard work if you're insecure. If you're happy and comfortable with how you look keep gaining by all means. I honestly can't imagine how much bigger I'd be today if I didn't care about getting to 25% or and then only doing a couple cuts instead of one extensive one every years like I have forever now. On the other hand, some people get addicted to bulking and never learn the discipline to lose their fat and show their hard work.

If you're absolutely positive you can lose it and are comfortable... do not stop the gains if they're rolling in.
    If you're not sure or you you're not entirely comfortable it's probably smart to learn the discipline of dieting sooner rather than later.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I'm finishing my cut now and found that actually taking a mass gainer once a day helped. I take one from 'bsn' and it's 590 cal,46g of protein, and 16g of fat.(powder only) my little theory behind it is that it helps maintain your current weight, gives you some good bcaa's, but most importantly helps you lose that belly pudge.

House Lannister
    How tall are you Kiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    If you're uncomortable in your own skin, then diet. There's not point in doing all this hard work if you're insecure. If you're happy and comfortable with how you look keep gaining by all means. I honestly can't imagine how much bigger I'd be today if I didn't care about getting to 25% or and then only doing a couple cuts instead of one extensive one every years like I have forever now. On the other hand, some people get addicted to bulking and never learn the discipline to lose their fat and show their hard work.

If you're absolutely positive you can lose it and are comfortable... do not stop the gains if they're rolling in.
    If you're not sure or you you're not entirely comfortable it's probably smart to learn the discipline of dieting sooner rather than later.
    Thanks Behemoth, that is a detailed reply. I am 100% sure i do not want a belly :P I have never had to worry about BF before and have NO clue where to start really, how many calories below maintenence should i be looking at? 100? 700?

Torn if i should do it after February, that is my first shot at a strongman comp :S

Chevelle i am 5'11 mate.

A Westside journal.

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Thanks Behemoth, that is a detailed reply. I am 100% sure i do not want a belly :P I have never had to worry about BF before and have NO clue where to start really, how many calories below maintenence should i be looking at? 100? 700?

Torn if i should do it after February, that is my first shot at a strongman comp :S

Chevelle i am 5'11 mate.
    I'm roughly the same height and weight as you. There's no way I would cut yet, but I don't know how much lbm you're carrying.

I forgot how old you are Kiff, but if you are still at home or at uni living in a house or apartment and not on a meal plan I'd suggest you do a nice clean bulk. Maybe some carb cycling? Rory (Behemoth) knows his schnit though so I'll defer to him.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I'm roughly the same height and weight as you. There's no way I would cut yet, but I don't know how much lbm you're carrying.

I forgot how old you are Kiff, but if you are still at home or at uni living in a house or apartment and not on a meal plan I'd suggest you do a nice clean bulk. Maybe some carb cycling? Rory (Behemoth) knows his schnit though so I'll defer to him.
    If i was to Carb Cycle it would get tricky really, i do not do well in the gym on low energy levels. Especially on my new routine. If Rory does have the time to explain it a bit that would be great tho.

I am not fat mate, just got a bit of it around my middle, I live at home, hold a good job, so food/money is not an issue to me.

Thoughts so far are drop my 1000Calorie a pop weight gainer that is mostly sugars and swap that for a protein only mix or low carb option.

Then i will swap the 4 pints of Whole milk a day for semi skimmed. Not a drastic change mere tweak really but i think i could cut loads of crap out by that alone.

Your right at my (our BW) i do not need a drastic CUT as such just a tidy up of the diet i think?

Thanks guys

A Westside journal.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    If i was to Carb Cycle it would get tricky really, i do not do well in the gym on low energy levels. Especially on my new routine. If Rory does have the time to explain it a bit that would be great tho.

I am not fat mate, just got a bit of it around my middle, I live at home, hold a good job, so food/money is not an issue to me.

Thoughts so far are drop my 1000Calorie a pop weight gainer that is mostly sugars and swap that for a protein only mix or low carb option.

Then i will swap the 4 pints of Whole milk a day for semi skimmed. Not a drastic change mere tweak really but i think i could cut loads of crap out by that alone.

Your right at my (our BW) i do not need a drastic CUT as such just a tidy up of the diet i think?

Thanks guys
    Yea, fuk that weightgainer for sure. Carb cycling doesn't need to be anything drastic, however. You could simply lower carbs on off training days or keep carbs mostly around the workout window. But, I have very little firsthand experience dieting so I'm going to just let Rory take over this one.

General rule of thumb I think though is taking off 250-500 kcals off of maintenance for cutting diets. That's just what i've HEARD, and not a hard and fast rule at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Yea, fuk that weightgainer for sure. Carb cycling doesn't need to be anything drastic, however. You could simply lower carbs on off training days or keep carbs mostly around the workout window. But, I have very little firsthand experience dieting so I'm going to just let Rory take over this one.

General rule of thumb I think though is taking off 250-500 kcals off of maintenance for cutting diets. That's just what i've HEARD, and not a hard and fast rule at all.

Cheers mate, yeah i will drop it, it served its purpose i jumped on that and creatine at the same time. Added 15KG to my deadlifts in 8 weeks so something is going right.

Think i will wait to see if Rory has a moment to pipe in again but defiantly set on cutting the weight gainer and whole milk out I do not want to be on a deficit just want to trim it a little i think

A Westside journal.

Kiff, I wouldn't cut if I were you, but that's your decision to make. The reason I wouldn't cut is that you are training with the purpose of competing in a strongman competition, and you have a group of guys helping you towards those goals. If you start a cut now, I fear that your strength will decrease. Is that really what you want right now?

I'd eat at maintenance or just a tiny bit above maintenance. That way you can continue to get stronger for the competition and possibly even recomp a little.

But like i said, it's your body and you have to be comfortable in it...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Kiff, I wouldn't cut if I were you, but that's your decision to make. The reason I wouldn't cut is that you are training with the purpose of competing in a strongman competition, and you have a group of guys helping you towards those goals. If you start a cut now, I fear that your strength will decrease. Is that really what you want right now?

I'd eat at maintenance or just a tiny bit above maintenance. That way you can continue to get stronger for the competition and possibly even recomp a little.

But like i said, it's your body and you have to be comfortable in it...
    Off Road, your right i know your right, through this post i have decided i just need to clean it up a bit that will make me feel a bit better.

Thanks for everyone's time and replies

I dont want to blow this comp just because i had a wobble on my bulk My strength is increasing faster than ever at the moment so lets not change too much

A Westside journal.

If you do cut I wouldn't mess with the carb cycling. It's better served as a tool to implore when things start to slow down or stick when the going gets tougher. Just like you don't start with the amount of cardio that you end up in doing in the later stages.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    If you do cut I wouldn't mess with the carb cycling. It's better served as a tool to implore when things start to slow down or stick when the going gets tougher. Just like you don't start with the amount of cardio that you end up in doing in the later stages.
    Cheers Rory, really appriciate your input mate!

I think I am just going to eat a bit cleaner tbh but keep a surplus, Off Road is right I have a team helping me for a strongman competition it would not e fair to start cutting :-)

A Westside journal.