The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Gamer/Lifter

I hired someone today

I hired someone today and I just thought I'd like to share my thought process as I was going through my candidates.

The position was for a sales position, and I wanted an individual who knew how to take charge of a situation. Which was one of the few things I even mentioned in my ad. I also mentioned I wanted creativity and this would a commission only position.

I interviewed 13 candidates, and I'll explain to you why I hired the person that I did.

The other people never once took charge in the interview, they were idle and placenent. When I would take them out for a coffee they'd want me to order before them, never once taking charge when I sat them down they would wait for me to drink first before they would drink etc...All signs of someone who is timid.

Their resumes were generic at best, well thought out and no mistakes but never the less generic.

Then I had a guy who came in, he listed his college as the school of hard knocks I asked him what he meant by that he responded "I started working when I was 14, and learned most of my lessons the hard way" I responded "And do you feel that benefited you and if so how?" He responded "Yes it has benefited me, cause I learned a long time ago making the same mistake twice hurts twice as much the second time"

On his resume instead of saying "Work Experience" he had "People who I made money for" I thought that was a cool idea, on each one of the work experiences he listed how much profit he bought them, increase in sales, etc the stuff I CARE ABOUT. He didn't list his supreme ability to be bring his supervisor coffee.

His greatest weakness? Gets very upset when his profit margins don't meet the level he desires (I liked that answer)
    His greatest strength? "his numbers" he meant his sales.

I hired him cause he was creative, quick on his feat, and didn't give me lame generic answers.

So next time you go into a interview considering doing things a bit differently.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if i was interviewing someone i would probably pick the most qualified person, not the person that i thought was different from everyone else. i would actually find in pretty unprofessional if someone put "school of hard knocks" on their resume. now if durning the interview he said it that is different. but that would be like if someone came in to interview with a baggy FUBU shirt on.

I hope he works out well for you but I agree with gmen5681.

That said, you've met all the candidates in person so I'm sure you made the right choice.
    Last edited by tom183; 01-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Personally, I like salesmen that are polite, patient, and don't try to take charge. But that's just me.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    if i was interviewing someone i would probably pick the most qualified person, not the person that i thought was different from everyone else. i would actually find in pretty unprofessional if someone put "school of hard knocks" on their resume. now if durning the interview he said it that is different. but that would be like if someone came in to interview with a baggy FUBU shirt on.
    it really depends on the job. It sounds like you made good choice op. My family is in the car business.Most of the salesman do not have a college degree even some of the managers dont have a degree. A lot of them are from the school of hardknocks. Timid people do not sell. You can't be a complete idiot and not know much about the material you are selling but still your college G.P.A and major do not sell. In this case I would say the guy you hired is the most qualified to sell.

Wannabebig Member
    Nik, there is a job for everyone. I hope everything works out.

That being said, I would like to pass on a few pointers...

Forget the 'what's your strengths/weaknesses/favorite power ranger' questions. Answer these for yourself, then ask a trusted friend to answer them for you. See what I mean?

If possible, schedule a working interview. I have weeded out a lot of real crap sacks with a one day commission only position.

People like to talk about themselves, but most like to talk about other people more. Also, most people tell you very carefully edited info about them, but will tell you everything about himself when they think they are talking about someone else.
    Let me explain;
    My last boss was a controll freak- really means I need constant supervision.
    I got tired of doing all the work- really means I am very lazy, and will whine like a little bitch when you ask me to do something.
    I didn't like the way they treat there people- really means, I will show up on time, do a fair job... but don't expect me to show any initiative.

Not everyone fits these descriptions, of course.

...but enough do.

Good luck

Wow, I wouldn't have even given an interview to the guy you hired. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Gamer/Lifter
    it really depends on the job. It sounds like you made good choice op. My family is in the car business.Most of the salesman do not have a college degree even some of the managers dont have a degree. A lot of them are from the school of hardknocks. Timid people do not sell. You can't be a complete idiot and not know much about the material you are selling but still your college G.P.A and major do not sell. In this case I would say the guy you hired is the most qualified to sell.
    Timid people don't sell well.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

You don't need a college degree to sell...

I worked as a copier and software salesmen for about 8 months. This was when the market crashed and not many businesses had any money to throw at "document management efficiency and facilitation".

A good salesmen needs a thorough understanding of how important sales activity is... cold calls, follow-ups, phone work, etc. The activity that directly builds your pipeline and generates revenue.

A lot of sales newbs get analysis by paralysis, opting to do more reading or research before doing any of the profit-generating activity (cold calls, prospecting, following up. )

You don't even need to be very persuasive or charming to be a successful salesman, although it dramatically helps. All you need is a commitment to doing the activity that will drive sales day-in and day-out, a willingness to "get punched in the nose" to learn, and an ability to rebound after a mistake or failure.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I would have laughed at his resume then tossed it in the trash.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    I would have laughed at his resume then tossed it in the trash.
    lol. +1

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    While this is a cute story, I don't think that giving outlandish answers at an interview is really a very good idea. Being generic is equally terrible, but you are really rolling the dice if you say "I came the school of hard knocks" when someone asks your your educational experience.
    I'm just hazarding a guess, but I'd imagine that answer is effective about .0000001% of the time.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Gamer/Lifter
    I'm just hazarding a guess, but I'd imagine that answer is effective about .0000001% of the time.
    Your right, however this is why I hired him (and the school of hard knocks we just I found funny)

1. He was quick on his feet
    2. His answers were short, simple and addressed the question effectively. In sales you don't want long drawn out answers it brings up a higher likely hood of you losing the deal you also don't want to not answer the question.
    3. His thoughts on the sales process, the role of customer service, how you run your business etc I liked his answers
    4. His resume, although he changed some fundamental rules was informative, quick and easy well laid out just as his answers were
    5. The test results we use to determine a candidates ability to fit with us, was well excellent.

I guess my point at the end of the day is this, he fit

We also operate differently then many companies, example I never turned in a resume, or finished a job application and I was promoted 3 times by the time I even submitted a job application. My mgr was like "We don't have a job application nor a resume on you" I went "cause I never turned a resume in, and I never filled out an application" he wasn't stunned he just went "erm, well that happens a lot here fill this out and e-mail me a resume"

I e-mailed him a resume I had done in HS actually, in fact it still says I'm in High School