Thread: Speed Deadlift after Heavy Sets

Speed Deadlift after Heavy Sets

Lately, I've been following the Coan / Phillipi Deadlift routine with some adjustments. I have put 40 pounds on my PR in two months. So, the program has been working great. One of my training partners asked me today why I would drop weight and do speed sets after working up to heavy percentages as the program suggests. I really couldn't think of an appropriate answer besides "that's what it says..." Being a rational and logical person, I wasn't satisfied with my lack of knowledge on the topic. My best answer was that I have been switching stances (I pull conventional and do my speed sets sumo). Any insight as to why one would do speed sets AFTER working up to a heavy percentage?
    Current Lifts (All RAW):
    Bodyweight: 205

Deadlift: 480 x 1
    Squat: 375 x 1
    Bench: 335 x 1
    Training Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...st-Competition

Not sure on your routine but I love doing speed sets either when working up or after heavy sets.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I thought you were pretty much always supposed to do your speed sets before your heavy sets. I know that's the way most people do it and that's the way that works the best for me. You're quick for your speed sets and warmed up for your heavy sets. If you did the heavy sets first, I would think you wouldn't have much left for the speed sets. It just doesn't make as much sense as doing speed first.

I always do a "downset" which is typically 60-80% of my 1rm for a set of 6-8. I like to get some reps in after working up to a heavy single.
    Speed pulls teaches you to move the bar quickly using maximal force, which one should be doing for any of the 3 power lifts.

I've done, and am about to do that program. Doing speed work after you work up works well because after your heavy sets, the lower weight feels particularly light. If you did speed work before, it would take a few sets to warm up and really get fast. With ths setup, your first set is usually the fastest. The speed work allows you to work on technique with lighter weight, practice your setup with the large amount of sets, and with straight weight work on the bottom end, or if you use accomidating assistance the top end

Any insight as to why one would do speed sets AFTER working up to a heavy percentage?
    I just started this program last week and I have to say that after the heaviest set, the ~70% weight I used for the speed pulls really did feel like a toothpick in my hands. Explosive and snappy for all sets. Felt better than when I have done single speed pulls after squatting.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the input guys. I too think that the downsets after the heavy sets feel much lighter and quicker. I guess it really doesn't matter too much, as you're getting the work in regardless. I've put bands or chains on for accommodating resistance to really reinforce the speed aspect of these sets. Definitely working...so I'm not knocking it.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Just to be clear down sets and speed work after your heavy work are different.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I would keep them first personally. How can you apply max force if your tired?

Who knows though. if it works keep doing it LOL.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I would keep them first personally. How can you apply max force if your tired?

Who knows though. if it works keep doing it LOL.
    From a competition aspect I am hoping that trying to apply max force when tired might work in my favour come meet day, no? What do you think? An element not even worth worrying too much about?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

crappy powerlifter austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    Why do you do speed pulls after heavy pulls?

The answer is explosiveness. More speed off the floor makes it easier to get it past that transition area from legs to back that most people struggle at.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Just to be clear down sets and speed work after your heavy work are different.
    Yeah, definitely see the difference here. That difference actually helps when I think about it as "speed" instead of just trying to get some extra work in...
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

I have done some days were I pull heavy off blocks 3-6" and then speed pulls from a deficit.

Worked well.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I have done some days were I pull heavy off blocks 3-6" and then speed pulls from a deficit.

Worked well.
    Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):