The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jason's Journal

Meso 4/ Week 3/ Day 1
    warm ups

ME SQ/DL
    14" Box
    1xseveral@bar, 135
    1x3@185, 225, 245, 275, 295, 315, 335, 365 PR
    1x1@385, 405, 435 PR

RE
    Side Bends
    a bunch @ 90

Ab Pull downs
    a lot w/ avg band

Rev. Hyper
    even more @ a bunch of plates and kept adding

Comments
    Feeling a lot better. Now to get my energy levels back up. Could have been the weekend though. Had a great time with the family. Highlights, baseball game friday night, football game Saturday, built some rockets and launched them a bunch of times with the son on Sunday plus a lot of other normal stuff.

Box squats
    Video

Meso 4/ Week 3/ Day 2
    Time to complete 45m

warm ups

DE Bench
    Bench
    1xseveral@bar, 135

Added doubled monster mini's
    1x3@135, 155, 185

5x3@225

RE
    POR Bench
    3x8@225

1 arm Upper pulley like rows w/ doubled monster mini
    4x10

Plate front raises SS plate hammer curls
    4x12@25 SS 4x20@25

Comments
    Need to ramp things up next training cycle after this meet.

Meso 4/ Week 3/ Day 3
    Time to complete 50m

warm ups

DE SQ/DL
    Squats
    1xseveral@bar, 135

+ Average Bands
    1x3@135, 155, 185

3x2@225

+ Average + Light Bands
    2x2@225

+Average + Light + Monster Mini Bands
    2x1@225

+Averages + Light + Monster Mini + Mini bands
    1x1@225

LOL that was awesomely fun and fugging heavy as heck on top. Most band tension I've ever used and just had fun with it.

Deadlifts + mini bands
    3x1@225

+doubled mini bands
    3x1@225
    1x1@245, 275, 295, 315

RE
    GHR
    6x6 having to use less and less assistance but still A framing it to much

Landmine Side bends with that long V like handle
    4x20

Strap fall outs for abs
    a bunch. These suck to much to try and count

Rev. Hypers
    4x20@270

Single Leg Rev. Hypers no swing
    2x10@45

Comments
    Just had a lot of fun tonight. Have no idea how much tension there was on top of those squats but it was definitely more then 455 that I've been working up to on the rev. band squats. After unracking with the avg. + light bands I about racked it but pulled my balls out and went with it. Then just kept adding bands. It was getting pretty hard to walk it out. Last heavy heavy squat before the meet. Single Leg Rev. Hypers with no Swing SUCKS. Really hits the glutes hard so going to add those in more as that's a pretty weak area.

Meso 4/ Week 3/ Day 4
    Time to complete 50m

warm ups

RE Bench
    Bench
    1xseveral@bar
    1x10@135, 155
    1x5@185, 225
    1x3@285, 275
    1x5@245

POR Bench
    1x10@225

Illegal Wide Bench
    2x10@225

Close Grip Bench
    1x10@225

JM Press
    2x15@90

Single Arm CSR low pulley like setup w/ doubled monster mini
    4x10

Tri Pushdowns w/ doubled mini

Comments
    285 will be a very easy opener. One training week left before a deload week leading up to the meet. I can so tell when one or both of my kids are having a growth spurt. Every single time my forarm/biceps tendinitis flairs up. This started a couple days ago and is the worse today. It seems to happen at least once a month to every other month. Lots of contrasting ice/heat, tens unit, compression etc. for the next few days.

Meso 4/ Week 4/ Day 1
    Time to complete 26m

warm ups

MRE Bench
    Bench
    1xseveral@bar
    1x5@135, 185,
    1x3@225, 245
    1x1@280, 305 EASY EASY.............

2 Board
    1x1@305, 315, 335

RE
    Tate Press
    4x10@55
    1x20@55

Comments
    Last heavy Bench and really felt pretty strong. Gave myself the mental commands for start, press, and rack. This will be the first time I'll have had to deal with a start command on the bench and hope I don't forget that. I was very happy it was bench today. My back, glutes, and legs are fried from climbing all over this huge kids activity center place today. Forearms actually not so bad today but I have attacked them with a vengeance and have a pretty solid protocol down for then they flare up and seems to work pretty good.

Meso 4/ Week 4/ Day 2
    Time to complete 44m

warm ups

MRE SQ/DL
    Squats
    1xseveral@bar, 135
    1x3@185, 225, 275
    1x1@315, 365, 405 PR

RE
    45deg. Back raises w/ monster mini
    4x15

Single Leg Rev. Hypers no swing
    3xto many@45

Rev. Hypers
    2x20 massive back pumps@270

Abs
    nope

Comments
    405 felt heavy but easy. And sadly a PR since I actually haven't don't done a straight weight full squat since my last meet and failed at hitting 405. Between the 45 degree hyper and the rev hypers my back has a massive pump and hurts to go anywhere near straight. Even though I normally get a really stiff and painful pump right after rev. hypers by the morning when I wake up my back feels better then ever and really loose. It's crazy the extremes it creates and so worth it.

I'm totally getting my bloat on and going full on density density bulking. I've been just carbing up every day at lunch time on. I started this Saturday and I can feel the lethargy in the afternoon from it. I plan on weighing in somewhere around 210 maybe. I'm up to ~205 from around 201 last Friday. I love not having to cut weight for a meet and being able to bloat up for it. I think it also helps take full advantage of the deload week coming up for full recovery. I could be totally wrong but that seems logical to me.

Meso 4/ Week 4/ Day 3
    Time to complete ~40-50m

warm ups

RE Bench
    Bench
    1xseveral@bar, 135
    1x5@155, 185, 225
    5x5@245 w/ start, press, rack pauses on every rep.

RE
    Pull ups
    1x10
    3x8

Standing Band Snatches w/ mini band SS Tri. Pushdowns doubled mini band w/ no break between rotations
    1x20 SS 1x40
    3x10 SS 3x20

Curl bar Curls
    1x8@85 then remembered the guy that snap his bicep 1-2 week out from his meet... screw that I'm done

Comments
    Still nervous about missing the start command on the bench. Nothing I can do about it now but just try and pay attention to the head judge.

Meso 4/ Week 4/ Day 4
    Time to complete ???

warm ups

RE SQ/DL
    Deadlifts
    1xa few@bar, 135, 185
    1x1@225, 275, 315, 365, 385, 405

RE
    GHR Situps
    many

Rev. Hypers
    a lot

Comments
    405. Easy. Done. See you in 9 days.
    Last edited by jason2459; 04-18-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Had a great time today and met some good guys. Had a couple of them help take some vids for me which was awesome. Wife and kids were there to watch some of my squats and deadlifts but they were out of there for a several hours in the middle to go play.

Got to the site plenty early to weigh in. I'm not exactly sure what I even weighed in at. I think it was around 208 but will have to check the results when they get posted to know for sure.

Gear check after that and glad I got the Titan singlet and wraps. They didn't like the APT logos and didn't like one of my shirts because it was stretchy. But I had a couple shirts and one of them was fine being 100% polyester... which the other two were as well just they seemed stretchy I guess. They were definitely by the book and rules were followed pretty strictly through out. Judging was super tight if not to tight. Think that screwed with my head a bit on the squats as described below. Noticed lots of guys were tested at this meet too.

Squats:
    There was one lady there giving out reds left and right for just about anything and everything. She was going through here different color cards like crazy. I got a blue one for some reason on my first two lifts but two whites were all I needed to get them passed. Which I still have no idea what I got them for watching the vids. I definitely hit depth... way to deep and I need to fix that even if it was a mental thing trying to make sure I hit depth. I should have had my third attempt if I wasn't going so low but we'll never know. I opened higher then I ended with in my first meet back so PR's for both attempts so I'm some what happy I guess. Quads were super tight all day but can't use that as an excuse, I just need to fix my form.

1st Attempt 408 Good lift PR
    2nd Attempt 419 Good Lift PR
    3rd Attempt 452 STUCK

Previous meet ended with 386

Bench. I was going to just go for two and skip my third attempt to save some energy to break the 500 mark on the deadlift. Well, with sucking so bad on the squat I decided to not be a pussy and hit a third attempt PR . All three attempts got 3 whites if I remember right and felt solid. I was pretty nervous about missing the start command but didn't have any issues. Traps were tighter then heck so couldn't setup with my normal meet setup but didn't matter hit another all time PR.

1st Attempt 281 Good Lift
    2nd Attempt 304 Good Lift
    3rd Attempt 320 Good Lift PR

Previous meet hit 315

Deadlifts
    This is what I was looking forward to all day. I really really really wanted to get back over 500. I was thinking of just getting 502 but jumped to 507 to get back to my all time PR. They were really strict about lockouts with the knees straight and shoulders back. Lots of reds again on this one for many guys. So, I definitely made sure to lock it out tight even if the head judge said down I held it a bit longer to really straighten out as best I could.

1st Attempt 419 Good lift
    2nd Attempt 457 Good lift PR
    3rd Attempt 507 Good lift PR

Previous meet got 441

8 for 9 for the day and still a sucky 1246 total but better then being in below 1200. By next October I should have that squat depth straightened out and stronger all around. I'm very much looking forward to the next 6 months. Don't know if I'm going to do the July meet or not. We'll see when that time comes. I'm just focused on October.

Oh, and titan had given a bunch of items to be raffled off at the meet and I got a Titan Toro single prong belt. Yep, another belt.

Meet vid:

Video

Congrats on a great all-around meet. Those squats looked right-on... way beyond depth too. Not sure what a blue card means, but if you got called on depth, that is pretty messed-up!
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!