Thread: Advice for a Beginner

Wannabebig New Member

Advice for a Beginner

Some advice for a person who just started working out would be nice. I am 5'7" and157 pounds. I have recently lost about 40 pounds over the last few months through cardio and cutting back on calories, a lot. I have recently begun eating around 1700 calories a day again and lifting at the gym. I go every other day and do a full upper body workout (arms, chest, shoulders, back) and run on the days in between for about 25 min, along with ab exercises on the run days. My diet consists of mostly proteins and carbs, with only a little fat, I have been eating very well I believe.

I would like to continue burning fat, but dont want to lose anymore weight. I would also like to gain some muscle mass and tone up my entire body.

Is my routine good? or should i make any changes?

Quote Originally Posted by pbandj980 View Post
    Some advice for a person who just started working out would be nice. I am 5'7" and157 pounds. I have recently lost about 40 pounds over the last few months through cardio and cutting back on calories, a lot. I have recently begun eating around 1700 calories a day again and lifting at the gym. I go every other day and do a full upper body workout (arms, chest, shoulders, back) and run on the days in between for about 25 min, along with ab exercises on the run days. My diet consists of mostly proteins and carbs, with only a little fat, I have been eating very well I believe.

I would like to continue burning fat, but dont want to lose anymore weight. I would also like to gain some muscle mass and tone up my entire body.

Hey man, first, i would add leg's to your workout plan. You dont want to work only your upper half, you need to do your entire body. To get started, i would recommend looking at a few workout programs such as HCT-12(You can find that one in the article section) and even look at a few other ones to see which best suites you. Also, for the whole weight gain thing, 1700 usually doesnt cut it and counting calories just plain sucks. I recommend finding your mainatinance levels and hit those daily.

You haven't told us what your routine is yet.

Running is not enough exercise for your lower body. In fact, excessive running will keep you from building muscle and will eventually cause you to lose muscle. You are trying to do two very different things and the running will eventually win out over the muscle growth.

If all you want to do is be skinny/lean, then keep doing what you are doing, it's worked so far.

If you want to build some muscle, then limit your running to a couple of days a week and just a few miles. Also, add in some heavy barbell work for your legs, lower back, and hips.

For some good balanced routines, check out the sticky titles "recommended routines." One of those will get you packing on muscle if you eat correctly.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!