The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEW ARTICLE - Five Keys to Getting and Staying Big and Strong

I was there once - a skinny teenager with dreams of being the next Arnold. Now, as a wise old lifter with almost twenty years of weight training experience, Iíve learned a thing or two.

Iíve gained a ton of knowledge ďin the trenchesĒ, Iíve gleaned considerable insight from fellow gym rats, and Iíve learned from all the reading Iíve done.

These are the things that I wish someone had told me many years ago, when I first ventured into the weight room. Here are the five keys to getting and staying big and strong.

READ HERE - Five Keys to Getting and Staying Big and Strong
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Has some good points, but definitely not the best article on WBB.

I mean, how can you have an article about getting big and completely ignore diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Has some good points, but definitely not the best article on WBB.

I mean, how can you have an article about getting big and completely ignore diet?
    I think all 5 subjects he touched on are more important than almost any diet information one could give a newer lifter. The equivalent of this in diet advice I would give a newer lifter would be along the lines of - eat healthy and stay comfortable in your physique. Consume quality foods, get adequate protein, fatty acids and quality carbs. Consume a surplus of good foods when striving to build muscle, and consume a restricted amount when cleaning it back up to lose bodyfat.

This article is obviously not a in depth look at size and strength, it's a refreshing step back that simply sumarizes some very important long term decisions newer lifters should aspire to make. He doesn't discuss specific training methods or tactics. IMO specific diet advice other than "eat quality foods, and vary the amount depending on goals" would be out of place in the hierarchy of important groundwork advice.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    The equivalent of this in diet advice I would give a newer lifter would be along the lines of - eat healthy and stay comfortable in your physique. Consume quality foods, get adequate protein, fatty acids and quality carbs. Consume a surplus of good foods when striving to build muscle, and consume a restricted amount when cleaning it back up to lose bodyfat.

IMO specific diet advice other than "eat quality foods, and vary the amount depending on goals" would be out of place in the hierarchy of important groundwork advice.
    Totally agree. But why not place it in the article? After all, the article is about Getting Big. How can you get big without proper diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Totally agree. But why not place it in the article? After all, the article is about Getting Big. How can you get big without proper diet?
    Though the article did say:

"Beginner lifters can pack on 20 pounds of muscle in a year rather easily, but gains slow down after that, and youíll need to gradually manipulate caloric intake to make sure your bodyfat levels never get out of control.

You can eat several pizzas each day, get up to 300 lbs, and squat and deadlift the house, but no one will envy your physique, and you wonít be proud to take your shirt off in public. I recommend that you keep your bodyfat levels under 15% and strive for the athletic look."

You are right, a little more could have been said... But still, I see no error in the article itself, maybe just the title. All is rectified with the addition of one word -- "training". Because afterall that is what this article is about.

"Five training Keys to Getting and Staying Big and Strong"
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-06-2011 at 03:34 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Just read this. Love it, really great, simply groundwork advice, all of which I personally agree with.

House Lannister
    I also like what Contreras says about AAS use. Although it's something I am interested in for future use, the risk of never fully coming off is very real and I think the increased performance would be VERY addicting. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I also like what Contreras says about AAS use. Although it's something I am interested in for future use, the risk of never fully coming off is very real and I think the increased performance would be VERY addicting. Good stuff.
    I've watched it happen with at least one friend, it's almost sad. He always worked hard and still does, but pretty much just like the article said... he peaked at age 20 and today without it is just a shadow of what he once was with it.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-06-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I've watched it happen with at least one friend, it's almost sad. He always worked hard and still does, but pretty much just like the article said... he peaked at age 20 and today without it is just a shadow of what he once was with it.
    Same here.

Great article by the way Bret and thanks for the mention a while back!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    My only fault with the article is the picture. His first rule is go natural, and the picture that sells the article is a hyooge guy in near contest condition. Mixed messages, eh?
    5'11, 215 lbs

B:295
    S:360 <---looking for 405 by may
    Trap Bar Dead:495X2

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMike230 View Post
    My only fault with the article is the picture. His first rule is go natural, and the picture that sells the article is a hyooge guy in near contest condition. Mixed messages, eh?
    That is definitely not Bret's fault, but I see what you're saying. However, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone in the fitness modeling biz that is all natural and also looks impressive who is cheap to hire. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMike230 View Post
    my first though

Daniel does the pics. The author had nothing to do with it. We would love to get more pics from the authors.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm pretty sure that Daniel picks the pictures for the articles, not the authors.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the picture. Like when you read ads for supplements, guys on the juice are advertising it. I dunno, thats just how it is so it seems normal....
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Great article! It should be posted at the gym where I train. What we view at merely common sense seems to escape so many.

Wannabebig Member
    i like this acticle... (-;